Monthly project - September

Posted
Rating:
#127374 (In Topic #6687)
Sol
Guest user

A Grotty Washroom - Stu's words !!

Right, over to any member to start this off for September.
I will add the second line of the project description when you let me know.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Do I have to get the big stick or carrot out to inspire someone to do a monthly project???
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member

I realy like the idea sol, but my modelling is too slow to get anything worth looking at in one month.:cry:

reg
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I'm building another (my 4th) entry for the Model Rail / other forum competition. This is a simple diorama of a grotty washroom (long story…).

I'm hoping to start tonight, so if required I can post progress photos and how-to notes.

The encouragement is for others to have a go at something completely different to what you'd normally model, in a very small space, just to stretch yourself.

Stu

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
[user=95]Sol[/user] wrote:
I will add the second line of the project description when you let me know.

Now done - that is the second line of the description.

Thanks Stu
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Oo-er, what have I done….

Ok, from my point of view this is intended to be a very quick build - even by my standards - I hope to start and finish this tonight, in a single modelling session of about 4 hours…

To help with this, I needed a parts list, so I know what to use where and so I can plan in my head in non-modelling time how I'll tackle each bit.

So :

Parts checklist :

Basic wall & floors - foam board
Wooden floor - lollipop sticks
Lower walls - plasticard planking
Upper walls - card
Dado rail - coffee stirrers 
Mirror
Tiles around mirror - plasticard tiles

Door - card
Toilet cubicle - card
Toilet door - yet more card

Toilet
Header tank - fabricate from plastic sheet
Header tank brackets - 'T' plastic strut
Sink
Sink supports / side towel rail - paper clips
Pipes - various plastic tubes

Watercolours & acrylics for making everything grotty

The toilet & sink are the only items I've pre-bought, from a wonderful website called Elf Miniatures

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
These are my collected thoughts so far (gives an insight into how my tangental brain works…) :

Sub-Floor - two layers of foam board, with foam board spacers to make a sandwich construction.

Sub-Walls - foam board - with these glued to the floor and each other I'll get a three sided (1/2 cube) box, which should be rigid enough.

Floor - lollipop sticks, rounded ends cut off, laid side by side, with one or two having joints. These may need sanding down after glueing.

Lower Walls - Clad in plasticard planking - should just need painting, but could distress lower edge as rotten wood, skirting board ?

Upper walls - either use a piece of card, or just the foamboard itself - need to add damp patches, flaking paint - needs more thought how…

Dado rail - could use coffee stirrers (depends on scale ) or plastic rod

Door - 4 panel door - thin card cut out for each panel, if possible multiple layers to give more detailed relief - door handle - use bead, door lock - not sure, but should be broken (brass tube ?)

Cubicle wall - card, with short legs to leave gap to floor - legs from old plastic sprue - possibly have hole/s in

Cubicle door - off hinges, leaning against cubicle wall

Header tank - either make out of plastcard, or find a suitable small box. Needs wire / lever for 'chain', feed and drain pipes. Supports made from 'T' plastic strut, with wood battens on the wall from split coffee stirrers

Toilet - needs waste pipe (large dia plastic tube)

Sink - side supports / towel rail from paper clips - painted white

This is not a complete list, nor necessarily one I'll stick to, but I find it helps me to visualise each element of the project, so when I come to the build itself I can just get on with it. Obviously, practical differences with what I'd imagined cause deviation in this plan, but it seems to work for me…

Posted
Rating:
Ok, here we go - 9.10pm.

First thing is to work out some dimensions…

A real toilet is approx 15" from floor to seat - the model version is 1.5" = i.e. a very convenient 1:10 ratio.

So, the the door at 2'6" (30") will be 3" across and at 6'6" (78") 7.8" high.

This gives a rough overall size of 8" x 5.5".

Now to cut the foamboard to fit.

Last edit: by Stubby47

Posted
Rating:
Does anyone manufacture model cottagers?

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Probably…..

Wooden floor now laid :

These are lollipop sticks (£1.00 for about 60) with the ends trimmed off and then laid to alternative floor edges, then smaller pieces cut to fit the gaps.

Posted
Rating:
The floor, walls and pan have had their first coat of grot.

Posted
Rating:
The walls and floor are now stuck together :

Posted
Rating:
The sink has been installed and the cubicle partition is being assessed for size.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Lookin' good, Stu.  :thumbs   Are you planning to have some graffiti?

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Max. Yes, graffiti is planned, using a fine pen. I also want to add phones numbers ("for a good time call…") of either football clubs (eg Man Utd) or train operating companies, or some other witty connection.
Stu
Edit: It is also nowhere near grotty enough yet.

Last edit: by Stubby47

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Coming along really well Stu. You have just gone past the point where I would use it if I really had to.

Posted
Rating:
Best look away then Bob, it's going to get an awful lot worse !

Pipework going in this evening - just glad it dosen't have to pass water…

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=465]Stubby47[/user] wrote:
… Pipework going in this evening - just glad it dosen't have to pass water…
Quite glad I don't need to!

Cheers
Dave
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
For those of you with a delicate disposition, please avert your eyes…

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
YUK indeed :twisted:
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.