Track and soldering

Posted
Rating:

Soldering dropper wires to rail can be a pain, just maybe another way.

I use a trapped pin for power droppers.  See tutorial here

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=4658&forum_id=6

Hth

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright

Rule 1 - Model what you really see and not what you think you know!
www.p4newstreet.com
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks Jim, An excellent tidy method.
Just like to mention, Peco have changed their code 75 metal joiners material from the old nickle silver? to what seems an alloy steel mix.
regards,

Derek

Posted
Rating:
I'd seen that when you fiorst posted it Jim - a great tutorial but unfortunately, I don't have your patience.

I've always thought about building my own track but my impatience would get in the way and I'd probably try to rush it with disasterous consequences.

And to think, our old school motto was "Petamus Virtutem" - patience is a virtue !!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That's right, Peter.  Plastic joiners have sufficient strength to keep the rails in alignment.  If there is so much lateral stress on the rails that they jump out of the plastic joiners, then there is something seriously wrong.

I think I have said it enough times now.  If people have continuity or voltage drop issues after this, I will keep my counsel.  If you must use metal rail joiners, make sure that you aren't relying on them for connectivity.  End of.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Max, Plastic rail joiners and track laying, excellent theory and I do use them, But the air turns blue around me as I try to get those peco beggars to join up, I swear joning crossover points with them has shortend my life span!
Now if they made them with a stiffer plastic life may become tranquil again. he he.

Last edit: by shunter1

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:mutley   I know how you feel, Derek.  I usually chamfer the rail ends with a jewellers' file.  Even then, they certainly challenge one's patience.  Character building.  :shock:

They are also handy if you have to graft a piece of track in.  They will bend a bit as you raise the rails.

Posted
Rating:
So I assume you use them for all your joins Max……….:roll::roll:

If you weren't running with RR & Co, and given your point about not relying on joiners for continuity, would you still use them ?

I suppose what I'm actually asking is, are they advantageous for "normal" DCC operations ?  I very much doubt I'll ever get to computer control ………….but then I always said I'd never live in France !!!! :lol::lol:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I do, Peter.  It's not just RR&C0.  DCC invites the use of current sensing devices for all sorts of applications.  Occupancy detectors can trigger crossing gates and lights, signals and semaphores, for example.

I guess I'm just trying to save people the heartburn I've had and seen.  Nickel silver rail doesn't really have great conductivity, dry joints eventually corrode and retro cutting of rails which have been bent often releases them from the chairs.  Just three good reasons.

Sometimes, even long runs of track will need to be in smaller blocks, so often there can be a case made out for dividing up full lengths of track as it's laid.  Our Club is building a display layout for exhibitions, with all of the wiring on top of baseboards without scenery.  All of the joints have insulated joiners.  Every piece has droppers and the buses aren't cirlcles.

It's just part of good planning and design.

Posted
Rating:
Food for thought there Max - if I ever get around to laying any of my track ……………..

I certainly prefer the plastic joiners - they don't make such deep cuts in your thumb ends …………:twisted:

I too file the track ends slightly to aid alignment but then find they slip on very easily.  The metal ones, for me, are the very devil.  I even made a gadget copied from Doug's idea to push them on but even with that, it's not a job I enjoy and I have many scars to prove they have sharp teeth.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:mutley  I must say that I was impressed by Jim's captive pins.  :thumbs   Mindue, everything he does is impressive.  :cry:

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Okay lads, Tell me, Apart from maybe useing a less flexible plastic. Why do they not make those joiners in a rail colour instead of that semi clear putty plastic, At least you could tell if the little beggers are going onto the rail.

As I mentioned Peco have dropped the N/S for railjoiners and are now useing a new conductive metal.

Also Peter a pair of pliers save the fingers and for that one rail on Peco turnouts where the joiner sticks halfway just press the turnout  down on a block of wood it will soon do what its told :mutley

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Wont the two different metals for the new rail joiners cause corrosion of their own?

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Bob, they may but now Peco have released Code 75 in steel rail & new steel sleeper format, that may have something to do with it.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Steel rail? Is that cheaper than N/S? What about rust?

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
You have to pay extra for rust, Bob.   :mutley

Posted
Rating:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:mutleyMore authentic Bob, And saves painting the rails. :mutley

To be a little more serious, It depends on the quality of the steel that is used, Really good steel as supplied by C&L for their rails gives very little trouble, Had some upstairs now for over a year and no signs of rust.

Also good steel is far superior to N/S for conductivity and traction, Just maybe DCC may work even better with it?

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
I use C&L steel on my layout & found, when new ,solders very well & files better too.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I think those are steel sleepered (cross tied), Sol.  I doesn't say if the rails are steel as well.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
You correct I think Max & will follow it up.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.