Improving the Hornby Signal Box

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Good going, Bob.  That interior looks very good, and thanks for the info on lever colours.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Whilst deliberating on what to do about the window frames I thought I would start some work on the roof.  My plan was to use some plastic card, embossed with roofing tile effect.  When I went to look I could not find any in my pack of modelling stuff - I could have sworn that I had packed some - double doh!  :oops:

So what to do.  I had a scan through some of the threads on this site and have decided to make tiles out of paper.  Intially I measured the printed tiles on the sticky paper that comes with the Hornby model and then set about drawing a grid on plain paper.  

Then I cut a strip of the paper, two tiles in depth.  Each individual tile is then cut along two of its sides, to a depth of one tile.  This creates a row of tiles fixed to a mounting strip. Some corners were snipped off to simulate broken tiles. The strips were then afixed to the roof in an overlapping sequence, starting from the gutter:

In fact I completed one side of the roof, but was unhappy with the result.  My measuring and drawing was not accurate enough to give the correct effect of a tiled roof.  So I ripped it all off and looked for an alternative.  Eventually I found a school book that had a grid printed on the pages and luckily it was almost exactly the right size for the model.  So I started again and here is the result:

This time it was much more successful.  Although time consuming, this method is quite effective.  Once the other side is completed I need to work out how to make the ridge tiles.

Bob(K)
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
A brilliant idea Bob (K)

I have had an thought for those that model in a scale other then OO.

If you have access to a reducing/enlarging photocopier you could make a grid an exact match for a given tile length.

Bryan
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
bob any bits you need sent over from the uk ,let me know  pm me if you like ,and i will get them off to you . square up the dough when you get back

reg

Posted
Rating:
Reg

Thank you for your very kind offer.  Regrettably there is no post here!  I thought I had packed everything I need, but forgot the roofing tiles.   :(  It is amazing how much we take for granted in our world.  The internet is really my only means of communicating with the outside world apart from telephone - when its working.

Regards

Bob

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Novice wrote
I packed a box of acrylics

Hi Bob(K),

Hope you're well in Liberia - when are you back?  

The signal box is coming along beautifully but I was interested in your comment about acrylic paints and not wanting the hassle of inflammable materials on aircraft.

Those of us living away from the UK have to stock up on materials when we go back (I suppose Bob (FC) and I are the nearest to you so we may pop down for a New Years drink) and I would be interested in what you took with you by way of colours. I'm going to the UK in a couple of weeks and need to try and put a little pack together of commonly used acrylics so I can bring them back on the plane.

Have you any suggestions and/or how did you choose what to take?

I should also like to wish you and your colleagues a very succesful new year with what you are doing - you know what we all feel about it. :D

Regards,

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:
Last night I finished off repainting the window frames in white.  It needed a couple of coats to cover the dark green.  I think it was the right decision as the green did not look right.  A wash of grime has been given to the upper panels too. I have also placed the roof on to determine how much interior detail can be seen through the glazing - not that much!  I will not do too much more workk to the interior, as it cannot be seen;

The next task will be to finish off the roof and then paint it.

Bob(K)

Posted
Rating:
Hope all is well for you Bob. A peacefull and happt new year to you as well Bob.
Well that box is looking real good, a work of art and patience, something i will need to work on when i get re started on my layout.
Phill

Posted
Rating:
That looks really good Bob.  It's amazing what a bit of detailing can do to a fairly mundane model.

Weathering is generally a "dark" art to me and these threads showing how it's done are very informative.  They give me the "guts" to have a bash.

Hope things are not too difficult in Liberia at present and that the "roads" are no worse, although, let's face it, they couldn't get much worse.  

A Happy New Year to you and your team.

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Looking Great Bob, but from my point of view, you can see inside pretty well, maybe that's just because of the flash?

Are you going to be adding extra detail like downspouts?

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
les,its worth looking in "the pound shop" when you come over.I think they are in most towns.They do sets of acrylics for £1 plus cheapo brushes and stuff. any particular colours you may find in war games shops,if not available in your usual places. :D

reg

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Thanks Reg, will do.

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:

Les said

Those of us living away from the UK have to stock up on materials when we go back (I suppose Bob (FC) and I are the nearest to you so we may pop down for a New Years drink) and I would be interested in what you took with you by way of colours. I'm going to the UK in a couple of weeks and need to try and put a little pack together of commonly used acrylics so I can bring them back on the plane.

Have you any suggestions and/or how did you choose what to take?

Les

Les

Sorry to take so long to come back to you but I had to get back to the house to check the paint colours and types.  Thanks for you kind thoughts and wishes.  All being well I will get back to UK in May sometime.

My fly away paint pack is as follows:  mix of Tamiya and Games Workshop (no reason for manufacturer just bought what was available):

Primary colours/basic colours: red, yellow, mid green, royal blue, black, dark brown and white.

Detailing colours: Silver, brass

Special colours for figure painting mainly: flesh, olive green, earth and buff.

For buildings: terracotta (for tiles) and redbrown, plus I also bought Railmatch acrylic light brick and dark brick.

On top of all that I found a pack of 20 mixed acrylic tubes in a bargain book shop for 4.99 pounds, which gave me an excellent range of colours.  With the above I think I can make almost any colour.

I also packed 4 brushes, size 2, size 1, size 0 and a triple 0 for detail.  This all fits in a little box 8" x 8".

I supose the key to selecting the colours depends on what you want to paint.  I have a number of railway building kits to make, the signal box and a number of Dapol figures.  I chose colours with these projects in mind

Hope this helps.

Bob(K)

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Thats great Bob, thanks.

I have printed your reply out and will work up a similar pack. I also want to try acrylics for painting the rails a rust colour. I have enamel for this but the latest advice seems to be to go for acrylic so I'll give it a whirl. :D

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Just a quickie on acrylic colours.

Les, If you are using Metcalfe card kits and want an acrylic to touch in the edges etc. Then, by co-incedence, Games Workshop Terracotta (No 61-80) is an exact match of the Metcalfe red brick kits. Using a size OO brush, the edges can be finished off superbly.
One other games Workshop paint I use is  :-
Graveyard Earth (No 61-81) for a good dark sandstone colour
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
cheers Jeff those are just the colours i want. :shock:  :lol:  :lol:  8)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Thanks Jeff, that advice is worth its weight in gold. You'd think Metcalf would tell you that in their instructions. I'll put some on the list. :D  :D

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

Les said

Thanks Jeff, that advice is worth its weight in gold. You'd think Metcalf would tell you that in their instructions. I'll put some on the list. :D  :D
Les

Glad to be of service, gents.

I suspect that Metcalfe would have no knowledge of the games Workshop range, but it's worth a visit to one of their many shops and a search of the colours they do.
They are a little bit more expensive than some of the other ranges, but brush beautifully, mix well, are easy to work with, clean easily with cold tap water and have no bad smell like Tamiya acrylics.

If you want some more stone shades, Owen, take a look at:-
Bubonic Brown (61-15) and Rotting Flesh (61-43) With some dark brown and mid grey, you'll easily mix and match any stone colour you need.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
really sweet names for colours arent they, YUK!!!
or is that a colour too ? :roll:  :roll:  :lol:  8)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Over the New Year quiet period I found the time to finish off the roof of the signal box.  Having applied the paper tile strips I then made the ridge tiles out of plastic card.  These were made long enough to fold over and cover both sides of the roof apex.  This avoided and unsightly gap along the top of the ridge.  Once in place and dry, I painted the whole of the roof in a blue grey colour.  Again once fully dry I then applied a wash of black to highlight the tiles.  I finished off by dry brushing a very light grey in downward strokes:

I think the roof has made a very great difference to the overall effect of the model and I am now getting closer to the effect I was trying to achieve at the outset of this project.  Next I will deal with the ends of the roof, which I think I will paint in white.  I also want to put a figure inside the box and I have started to paint him.

Bob(K)
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.