Members Monthly Project June

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user

Kadee couplers.

The Lima wagon - just cut the old units off & dump them. Make a new base glued to the chassis to hold the Kadee pocket just like I did on this Hornby Van

granted I also added bogies but if gives you the idea ( I hope)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron,

Unfortunately I had finished the conversion before I read your email.
I cut off the old coupler and mounted a #5 on top of what was left of the shaft. The light has faded so i will post a photo of the finished job later but to give everyone an idea of what I did here is the "before" photo

Last edit: by gdaysydney

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sorry for the delay in posting - its been a busy week - my son got married on the weekend so anything to do with trains and modeling took a back seat

Here is the promised photo of the LIMA NCB wagon with the Kadee coupling attached - again I used super glue as the screws arrived after I had completed the conversion.  Not up to Sol's standard yet - but it works and to me it looks better than the original coupling.

Now I'm going to attempt to fit Kadees to an olf Hornby Railfreight wagon  I have removed the moulded couplings  and will work out the Kadee box height using blue tag whilst I ponder on how to permantly fit the Kadee box.

Last edit: by gdaysydney

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software

Posted
Rating:
Here is the underside view of the Railfreight wagon.

There is no base as such with the metal weight clearly visible behind the beams.

Dave
Notmutley

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
I find with those Dave, add a piece of styrene ( bread bad tag thickness,) cut and shaped & a Kadee fits. I will get my wagon & take a photo.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Here is one with a small bit of styrene & the coupler box is screwed.

and this one is glued & screwed & the styrene is bigger

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Ron,

Did you cut the  styrene to fit in between the beams or is the styrene glued on top of them?

Dave
Notmutley

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Just glued on top Dave.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Just another thing relating to couplers
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
You have done a fine job for us on couplers Sol this month so it's about time to call for someone to do as well for July. Anyone out there going to volunteer? It doesn't have to be a complex subject or one requiring financial outlay and it can be something which may be really simple to you but never the less will help someone on the forum.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
These taps and dies are indispensable for mounting couplers.

246                          Tap (2-56) and Drills (#50 and #43)
247                          Tap (1-72) and Drills (#53 and #48)
780                          Tap (0-80) and Drills (#55 and #52)

They include the tap, tap drill and clearance drill. Easy to remove and adjust with shims if needed.

Kadee also sells washers that fit inside the coupler box to correct droop on couplers with long shanks.
They also fit bogie pins for adjusting ride height on a car with a fixed draft gear.

Jerry
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Not only to bring this topic to the attention of perhaps many new members but to advise that the Hornby magazine starting with the October 2013 issue, are presenting a series on Kadee couplers & the UK modelling scene.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
I've got some HO Kadee stuff for sale.  If any UK member is interested please PM me.

Terry 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.  As always everything you say is straightforward and honest .  Best wishes. Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Ted
Inactive Member
Hi Sol

I would like to add my thanks , for all the time and effort you have spent compiling tis tutorial .

I have been contemplating converting my rolling stock to Kadee. but I must admit ,that every time I

start to read all the different combinations of couplers , I get confused , and push it to one side .

Now with your tutorial at hand , I think I will have another go .

Thanks once again Sol

Regards Ted

Posted
Rating:
I'd forgotten this excellent tutorial Sol - well worth the bump and perhaps Alan could make it a sticky …………….?

Lots of very, very useful information in there.  :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Petermac.  I totally agree with you. But what is a "Sticky"?  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
It will sit at the top on the Recent page.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Like this?

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron I keep returning to your Kadee thread , in the meantime , there is a YouTube video on Kadee where the Modeller used glue to hold the two halves of the box together. Another thread mentions No 242 the box clicks together, but, it didn’t specify which hook went with No 242 , would you please correct me if I have got it wrong? Because I don’t know.which Hook/ s fit 242.  Best wishes. Kevin 

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.