If you do the moulds Matt, I'd like to take advantage of the offer as well. :D

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Great job there, Matt. It's good to see such initiative, and good on you for offering to help our members out  :!:

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Count me in as well, cost etc just let me know how much etc for the mould thingy.
Phill

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Now you do realise Matts missus is going to ask what he needs all this latex rubber for dont you.

She may start to wonder if he is actually supplying other clients who use latex rubber a lot :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

cheers Brian.W
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Phill

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Matt, a question on your plaster if I may.  I might have missed it but, when I was mixing plaster for my rock moulds and for generally applying on my layout I mixed in some acrylic paints.  On occasion I didn't mix the paint in completely to give a streaked effect, I just wondered if you could save yourself some painting time by utilising a similar method, obviously you would require a more uniform colour, but would it still work for you?

BTW, if you are doing any N scale stuff let me know  :D
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Lawrence
I do this when using filla for roads etc. the plaster i am using dries in 6 minutes so you have to be quick.

Ok a quick update
I have now made 5 moulds from walls I have made. They need a bit of a trim but look to be able to do the job. The masters I have are a compressed sponge type material, these are flimsy under pressure. I snapped the wall last night when removing a mould. The retaining wall (with arches) are two sheets stuck together. This came apart at my first attempt. I may make a mould of just the arch which can then be added to the wall.
I have been looking online and I have come up with a master plan. You can buy the following
80mm wall panel
40mm wall panel
Piers 40mm 80mm
End columns
Inclines low high, high low
Dhrystone wall
I think this will be the way forward, making a mould package of 8 moulds so people can mix and match and build low and high walls. I think selling them as a package would be better.

Ok here we go

GUINEE PIGS WANTED
I would like 4 volunteers; this will not cost you anything…
All I want is an opinion on the moulds I have produced so far. This is a basic wall as pictured above. All I ask is within a week you can make a couple of walls chuck some paint on and tell me what you think of the mould, the postage (wrapping etc). I will pay for postage so UK residents only (sorry) so all it will cost you is a couple of hours to make a wall or two, I don’t want the moulds back so if you don’t like them tell me why and you can use the mould as a fly swat or something.  If you are interested I will take the next 4 posts and then PM you giving you my email to send your address to. I will pack the moulds over the weekend  and post them on Monday.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Now there's an offer you just can't refuse. Pity I'm not in the UK.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt, if your offer is still open then I'd be prepared to give it a try. I'm in the process of deciding what walling to use for the cutting my layout is in and I would be prepared to experiment and see how it works out.
Cheers

'

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Count me in, Matt.
I've got a box of Woodland Scenic's moulding plaster just waiting to be opened :!: .
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Count me in Matt got loads of plaster to use up  :D  :D
Phill

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
thanks guys i have sent a PM
the hunt for guinee pigs is now over.
i will update this thread once i have recieved feedback.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
ordered some more walls and started to make moulds 8)  the bits are
1 4x high wall 80mm
2 4x butt rest 80mm
3 1x corner 80mm
4 4x low wall 40mm
5 4x butt rest 40mm
6 1x corner
7 low wall to high wall
8 high wall to low wall
9 high wall to 120mm
10 120mm to high wall
11 sleeper fence
12 pavemants x 8
13 pavement corner x4
14 pavement end x4
15 1x drystone wall
16 1x drystone wall with gap
17 drystone wall gate posts

here is the result whilst the mould is setting

and one from a retaining wall i done earlier

i will ship these out to the guinee pigs once i have 3 sets
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Now those are what I call walls Matt. Lucky old guinea pigs.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
looking foward to those, Matt. I can see I'm in for a lot of "testing".

I should explain to the wider membership, that I've had a delivery of the first wall and the mould looks excellent. I'm due to do a casting this week(probably Tuesday) and will post the results on here as well as sending a PM to Matt :!:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt, managed to do a casting despite house move and kitchen ceiling disasters. Only problem is I can't find my camera as we're still living out of boxes. Casting looks good and came away easily although I use mould release agent to lessen the wear and tear on the latex. I'm looking at different ways of finishing it so should have some photos by the weekend, camera's whereabouts notwithstanding. I have to say that the detail has come out very well, and with some weathering could be a real boon for the scenic buffs. Can you make the next one about 2' long by 18" deep so I can recreate those massive retaining walls of the West Riding instead of having to scribe them out one by one. Only joking. I doubt my baseboards could take the weight.

'

Posted
Rating:
Well i am also a guinea pig for Matt and his production line. Would not mind but we get no commission if these take off  :evil:  :D , only joking mate  :D .
Well i made one and thought what if i dont want this size, so i cut some wood to size and sectioned part of the mould to give me the size i wanted. Then i heard that one broke for someone else and i thought of a idea. I poured some plaster into the mould and then laid some chicken wire into it and poured some more on top. Also incase it stuck to the mould i laid talcom powder on the mould before i commenced pouring (do not go there with the talc  :evil: , its the wifes), this stopped it sticking when it had dried. I must say when i took it out it felt very good and strong. The detail is excellent as well. Painting will be done at weekend and i shall try and picture the steps i do when i make another.
I am ejoying this as well, i feel as thou i am a modeler now  :D  all be it a naff one  :D
Phill
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.