walls walls walls

Posted
Rating:
#4890 (In Topic #629)
Guest user
i want retaining walls on my layout, i have tried the scalescene stuff. these are ok but lack depth. Looking at other retaining walls about the web i was shocked at the price 13 quid
Hornby R7374 High Stepped Arched Red Brick Retaining Walls Skaledale Painted Resin Building OO

i have some linka moulds but looking through these i don't have one that resembles a retaining wall :cry:  i have never used linka before. i have checked out the linka thread
Hornby R7374 High Stepped Arched Red Brick Retaining Walls Skaledale Painted Resin Building OO
from the index Bob :wink:
what i plan to do is buy a retaining wall then make a mould then produce the amount i need. i have read somewhere about making the moulds, but i can't find the site :cry:
has anyone done this? got any tips or have the link?
from what i remember is you make the frame, place in original item, then paint on then pour a liquid that turns to the rubber mould.

cheers all in advance
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Have a look at this article Matt. It may help, it's for making latex molds.

Model Making Resources, Mould Making With Latex
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
How about these from International Models, realistic and cheaper !
A 500mm length of parallel retaining wall is £6.50
http://www.internationalmodels.net/acatalog/Main_Catalogue_Index_Retaining_Walls_40.html
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Good link Oxide and I particularly like the open retaining wall.

Posted
Rating:
There is some Linka information already on this forum at:

http://yourmodelrailway.com/viewtopic.php?t=508

Perry

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
cheers all
i managed to find the link i was looking for. a good read

DIY plaster casting process | Model Railway Forum

and i found some silocone mould rubber, this is 14 quid,

TracysWorkshop.com is for sale | HugeDomains

add the price of the wall 13 quid. 27 quid in total. once i have made a few i could chuck some on ebay to recoop the cost :wink:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
it has taken a while but i have been a busy bee, i managed to purchase a 5L tub of liquid latex, some modelling plaster 25kg (should have enough :D ) and a wall.

i laid the wall (master) in a tray over four days i applied about 20 coats of the latex. i then VERY CARFULLY removed the mould from the master. i was quite surprised (it worked :D ) i then added the modellers plaster and in 30 minutes i had a wall :D  i used a hairspray lid for a scoop and used 7 scoops of plaster and 2 scoops of water for the first wall. this had a couple of bubbles but still acceptable. the second i used 7 scoops of plaster to 3 water and this worked better. the plaster was 21 quid the latex was 18 i think, the master wall was 6.50. so 45 quid in total. the 2 walls i have made would of cost me 12 quid. i will have enough plaster for about 250 walls :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  i think i have over done it :D  ok some pictures

the master

the mould

the copy

any questions just ask :wink:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Looks good mate, like the method. Got any walls for sale , maybe recoup some dosh :D  :D
Phill

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
They look the biz to me, Matt.
I could do with some of those myself. What make was the master you used :?:

I would have thought there's a potential for some sales to other modellers here, that way you could recoup the cost of the equipment you bought and get yours for free :!:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Looks great - I will potentially need about 12ft of something like this alongside my station so I am very interested in this!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Well done for giving it a go Matt, they look fantastic so far.
Matt's layout will have retaining walls, station platform walls, building walls, stone bridges, lined tunnels and maybe even a castle  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
How do they take painting?
You might have to seal the plaster first?

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Matt, these walls look terrific and whilst you may have hundreds of them, which could come in useful, just as importantly you have ventured into the concept of making items using latex and moulds. We really ought to understand more about this process in general because there may be things on our layouts that we need lots of - eg people, signals. etc :D

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:
That walling looks great Matt and I admire your skills at making the mould.

I've yet to make a start on my Linka walls but I can see you're already some 50 sq.ft. ahead of me !! :roll:  :roll:

Did the castings come out of the mould without any problems ?

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
thanks all
i will start with showing the items i brought so if anyone is interested in having a go they can purchase the items.

the plaster
25kg HERCULITE NO 2 CASTING Plaster of Paris
High Grade
fine quality
Makes a hard white casts.
Ideal for giftware, plaques, cherubs,  prototypes,  scenery for railway models etc.  
 Just add powder to water and mix to a smooth, creamy mixture and pour.
Used in  the production of fibrous plaster mouldings
Security measure

5 Litres Liquid Latex/Rubber + Free 10% Thickener

Security measure

i have a retaining wall with arches to have a go at this week. the plaster seems quite solid when dry but four weighs about 2lb so i will look at postage costs. i will try selling some on ebay once i am happy with what i am doing. i will sell to forum members at cost or thereabouts. i think about 2.50 a wall which is about a third of the cost. i am a honest person and i won't run with anyone’s money, i am sure phill will back me up :shock:  if anyone is interested in a mould i will also do this but will take a week or so. i think this would be the best bet as you can make as many walls as you want. i think about 5 quid for a mould should cover postage cost etc. as i have said before i am no expert at this and if someone wasn't happy i wouldn't be offended if you sent them back for a refund.
Bob i hope i am not in trouble for trying to sell stuff, i am not after a profit from the forum. just after recouping cost and helping a few people out. walling can become very expensive. if you would rather i done this through ebay and then give members a discount i will do it that way.

the moulds are rubbery and about 2mm thick, they are quite strong. a mate of mine does military modelling and he moulds things like wheels, hatches  and ammo boxes. you could do things like barrels, sacks and tunnel mouths. i supose if you had a plastic building like a scalescens house you could cut out each side and the roof you could make up moulds for this.

you have two methods

brush method
this is what i used, simply brush on the latex to build up layers.

dip method
i will try this with a barrel
attach a pin to the master (barrel) get a tub that is slightl larger. add the latex then dip barrel into latex. support the barrel so latex cover the coplete barrel. the bottom of the mould will be the top of the model.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I don't imagine there's any problem with the sales, Matt.
As it's not a profit making business and for the benefit of the members, I should have thought it's a positive thing.
I have to get about 15ft of walling all about 42mm high for my layout.
Do you think the type of walling you have made so far is suitable :?:
One of my main concerns would have to be the overall thickness, as I've not much room to play with.

It might be a good idea to get a suitable mould made, especially if you have plenty of spare material.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
the wall is 120mm high and about 4mm thick. the mould would be the best way to go as you could add a barrier at the height you wanted. or you could make a wall and cut to the height you wanted. i am now trying a different method of making the mould which i hope will make a stronger mould. i have made a frame and placed the master inside the frame. i then poured the latex into the mould which i hope will make the mould thicker.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Matt

Its great of you to offer to make the walls for members and i am sure many will take you up on your nice offer.

An idea i just had was perhaps just produce a latex mould for members
That way it wont be a worry posting the plaster walls.
And postage costs will be cheaper then they can cast as many as they want then.
A latex mould would even be feasable to send to australia even.

cheers Brian.W
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I can vouch for Matts honesty as he says. He is as honest as the day is long and very trusting. I received a loan of his 08, Jinty and dcc controller for free and it only cost me just a tad under £100 afterwards due to the fact Matt gave me the bug for dcc so i went and bought a set  :D .
So as i say you can trust him 100%.
Phill

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Phill trust Matt  :?:  :?:
More likely Matt trusting Phill with his loco & DCC unit  :!:

I will take a latex mould - just PM when ready & we will discuss things via e-mail or even telephone.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
As Sol says above, I'll add my name to the list, Matt.
Easier for me to cast my own in view of the amount of walling needed.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.