Watercolour Pencils

Posted
Rating:
#120440 (In Topic #6285)

Weathering with coloured pencils video

This is a very cool short 7 minute video showing how to weather with watercolour pencils…well worth watching IMHO.  

https://youtu.be/TJowOlMlXoM ( Video replaced as Original no longer available, B)

Cheers
Gene
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=541]Genetk44[/user] wrote:
This is a very cool short 7 minute video ………………………………………….
Hmm - that'll take me around 4 hours to download at my connection speed :???::???::???::???::???:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
That was interesting! I like the control the pencil gives you. The ability to erase it, and do it over, is nice too.

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That's great, Gene.  :thumbs   One for the Index, Bob?

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Thanks Gene . There seems to be no end to what we can learn on here.  :thumbs

reg

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
That's a pretty good video, but there one more method that I use.

The first and most important step when weathering anything is to make sure the surface is clean and dry, the coated with a matte surface. Without this step, oils and water based paints will not adhere properly to your model and just by applying this clear, dull coat, your model will look less toy like and more realistic, even before you start weathering. That's a bonus right there. I use only "Testors Dull*Cote". It's a clear enamel that uses a much higher % of Talc than common matte finishes.

The technique.

Use a dry water color pencil to mark your car first, then using a very soft, *slightly dampened make-up brush, draw the brush down vertically and you will be amazed at the delicate line of color you've just created.

Here's an example. This car was done using both techniques.

*Slightly dampened = Wet the tip of your dry brush by just touching it lightly to your (presumably) damp tongue. Then briskly run the end of the previously mentioned brush a few times across your pant leg, or if you're married, a dry scrap of useless cloth. Okay, okay, don't wipe it off next and that line will disappear! It literally needs a barely humid brush to accomplish this. Wetting it (the brush) first with water will make it totally useless for this task.

The finished car. An Atlas HO, Evans 50' Plug door car.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Weathered very nicely, Jerry.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thank you Ron.

Another shot.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Really impressed with that:thumbs

Do you highlight the rivets on top of the wagon or do you just wipe the rust colour off?

Bozzy(never known to pass a pub)

Posted
Rating:
You're right Ian - it's a really impressive bit of weathering.  :pathead

It looks even better than the prototype !!

After I've studied these shots, I'm popping over to see the Proto Weathering site. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
IIRC, I believe that the highlights were added at the end, by dry brushing with a wax metallic finish, found in craft stores in the US. Then Dull*Coted to seal the finish.

Thank you for your kind comments.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
How do I get the rust colour off my tongue?

Very impressive work - I especially like the roof.

Last edit: by ddolfelin

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=394]ddolfelin[/user] wrote:
How do I get the rust colour off my tongue?

Very impressive work - I especially like the roof.
Worried about that? And you call yourself a modeler.:lol:

Thank you, I love the way the roof came out too. Many layers of color, using artist oils. Gouache and weathering powders.

Here is the car in it's pre-weathered condition.

Jerry
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Excellent work there, however it's a bit overdone for me as it savours of neglect rather than from useful employment. And I don't think I've seen such a car in use. There may be some but not many. And I'm sure someone will produce a image to prove me wrong. My answer would be they are exceptions not the general rule.

I prefer the more subtle approach and would have not such a car on my PRB.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
John - It only takes one, to make a prototype. The particular car that I modeled was done using three different pictures of three different cars.

IATR 13146
IATR 13158
IATR 13163

IATR = Iowa Traction Railroad Company

My model is not an exact copy, but the rust and weathering patterns on this particular car are prototypical to these types in their working environment.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
You may not have gone for an exact copy Jerry but the likeness is remarkable. Could you tell me if those prototype wagons are in regular use.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Robert - I'm not certain if these particular cars are still in service today. I would not be surprised if they were.

Here is the results for a search for IATR cars on Rail Car Photos.com

Just looking at the main page of Railcar Photos will give you some indication of the yin/yang of what we get to model over here.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
There's a staggering variety to choose from Jerry and we owe a debt of gratitude to those people who spend so much time and effort in recording all things railway.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=2]Robert[/user] wrote:
There's a staggering variety to choose from Jerry and we owe a debt of gratitude to those people who spend so much time and effort in recording all things railway.
I'm sure if there were Railroad tracks on Mars, somewhere along them, there will be someone waiting patiently with a camera for a picture of a train. I know I would.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Jerry, I admire your work and thanks for the images, but I think my point is made by the better condition of the cars you can see around those of the individual car.

But I accept that you choose to portray the seemingly more worn and battered ones.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.