Kadee magnetic uncoupling

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user

Using neodymium magnets between the sleepers

Bought 100 for $15 including postage;  about £9.60.

using 15 per at the maximum,  means 6 magnets whereas to buy Kadee magnets is two for $9.50.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=95]Sol[/user] wrote:
Not bad then as the item location is in my home State.
I thought it might be a bit nearer for you! :thumbs

There are also quite a few other suppliers on eBay in various locations.

Perry

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Bought 100 for $15 including postage;  about £9.60.

using 15 per at the maximum,  means 6 magnets whereas to buy Kadee magnets is two for $9.50.
:doublethumb

Perry

Posted
Rating:
Perry any chance of one of your videos showing operation or are you still in T&D mode?

Regards
Pete.

ECOS2 with RR&Co Traincontroller and a load of other electronics so i can sit back and watch the trains go by.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
My magnets arrived today - so small they could be easily be mislaid BUT there is a warning on my packet which says:

Keep magnets more then 30CM/ 1 ft away from credit cards, software or another magnetic storage media. The strong magnets can wipe the information clear.

Now at first glance, I thought " Hang on, what about decoders?"  but I suppose decoders being in close proximity with motors in our locos, they should not be affected!

I will ask on a larger 8000 plus member Forum to see what gives.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=450]wogga[/user] wrote:
Perry any chance of one of your videos showing operation or are you still in T&D mode?
I'll try to do one just as soon as the rest of the magnets arrive and are glued into position.

Perry

Posted
Rating:
My magnets arrived today - so small they could be easily be mislaid BUT there is a warning on my packet which says:

Keep magnets more then 30CM/ 1 ft away from credit cards, software or another magnetic storage media. The strong magnets can wipe the information clear.

Now at first glance, I thought " Hang on, what about decoders?"  but I suppose decoders being in close proximity with motors in our locos, they should not be affected!

I will ask on a larger 8000 plus member Forum to see what gives.
I had thought about this too, but seeing as the under-track magnets from Kadee are pretty strong and the fact that the decoders are often fitted right on top of a magnet inside the loco, I don't think there's much to worry about.

Perry

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Sol I have large neo magnets in my x04 motors they have not had any effect on my decoders,
:thumbs:lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
A few replies from the other forum - no problems.

Anyway, I spent the afternoon fiddling round with them & I must say, I don't have the same success as Perry.  My vans are not NEM versions but Kadee #5's and the  coupler boxes have to be perfectly centered.

I use Code 75, tried them in strips like Perry separated by one sleeper & some styrene between the opposing sides  & almost level with the top of the sleepers & found that while the glad arms would swing as soon as they encounterd a magnet, once past & sitting over the sleeper, they returned quickly to normal then encountered the next magnet. raising them up like the Kadee bar magnet helped a bit but not ideal so I then tried this

Almost level with rail head, pulling wagons through them, the couplings jiggle for each magnet but stay coupled. Now pushing, there is very small space that you have to stop on & if the magnets are not equally spaced from the rails & the coupling are not centered, then the side with the strongest attraction pulls both glad arms to the same side with no uncoupling. I did finally get magnets & couplings in the correct locations but not  always successful in uncoupling.
The magnets are certainly small & hard to hold as they are shiny slippery metal - Supa glue takes a while to set with them. I will keep trying.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
They can take a little bit of fiddling about to set up, but I am finding that three rows of five magnets with a sleeper between each row works on Code 100 track.

By using the pairs as you are, the length of the magnetic area is a lot shorter. My uncoupling areas are effectively about 18mm long. This makes locating the wagons over them a lot easier.

I'm occasionally getting wagons refusing to uncouple, but I'm fairly sure this is down to the adjustment of the couplers rather than the magnets.

Perry

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
OK, I did the 3 rows as mentioned ( certainly not much clearance tween magnets & rails) and that was better - even stronger than the Kadee unit.
Wheels sets like Gibson & such with metal axles - a real bummer - magnet draws them in. In fact pushing them towards the magnets, the wagons try to jump forward & of course the couplings stop them. They jerk their way towards the magnets.

Bachmann & new Hornby appear to be better. The existing Kade magnets in the tracks ( 3 of) will remain as I had to cut sleepers out completely so I then had to provide a new base due to Code 75 but will use the magnets in other locations.

Fiddly but once painted, won't look as bad as the Kadee unit which is twice the length. Yes I know the Kadee can be cut.

Another method of uncoupling Kadee - thanks Perry
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
You can slip cut down sleepers into the gaps left when you take out the magnets, Sol.

Posted
Rating:
It's a pity that replacement wagon axles made of brass don't seem to be available. Strong and non-magnetic, I think they would be rather useful in a situation like this.

Perry

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Steam Era Models replacement wheel sets have brass axles and nickel silver wheels, Perry.  Non magnetic, I just tried them with a large neo magnet. 

They come in varying diameters and axle lengths.    There should be something similar available in the UK, no?  If you can't find them, I can send you some.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
http://home.waterfront.net.au/~sem/     Here they are.  It's a start at least.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks, Max. :thumbs

I research for suppliers over here in the UK initially.

Perry

Posted
Rating:
I discovered something very interesting about wagons being drawn to magnets whilst searching the internet. :shock:

Apparently, many wagons are weighted with steel. If these steel weights are replaced with lead or some other non-magnetic substance, the magnetic attraction can be seriously reduced. Perhaps it's not solely the wheels and/or axles that are causing the problem after all.

Food for thought. :hmm

Perry

Last edit: by Perry

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

This is what happens if you use steel coupler bolts.  I've since replaced them with brass - obviously.  :mutley

Posted
Rating:

Here you go:

Avant d'accéder à YouTube

Perry

Last edit: by Perry

Posted
Rating:
[user=17]Perry[/user] wrote:

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwSKR336ik0

Perry

Cheers Perry very good, two more questions if i may:

I will be attempting to do this with Traincontroller, can the length the magnetic field is effective over be extended by adding more magnets?

Secondly i take it coupling mounting height isn't as critical as if you were using the Kadee magnets since i assume you have greater clearance above the magnets.

Last edit: by wogga

Regards
Pete.

ECOS2 with RR&Co Traincontroller and a load of other electronics so i can sit back and watch the trains go by.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.