The Viaduct

Posted
Rating:
That's progressing really quickly. It looks good already, so I expect the final result to be superb. :thumbs

Perry

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Very tasty Sol. :thumbs

What is the covering under the arches - above where the stone piers stop.? 
Here we are Peter, 3 shots of underneath, they represent the finished stonework.

The first one shows a slight lip on the far side, not easy keeping it straight as it is only paper thickness joining the arch to the outer wall edge but anyone who can get their down to see, good luck to them.

A closeup of the printed paper-

Brown marks are off my fingers as I weathered the edges with weathering powders.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
[user=450]wogga[/user] wrote:
I#ll be watching this Ron, i have bought the viaduct to be the entry to the fiddle yard. I just hope a double track will go under an arch, the top will be a roadway.

Regards

Pete

Pete, I thought this photo ( yes slightly out of focus) will give you the idea of space for double tracks.
I set the  tracks with 6ft way between centre rails = 24mm so centre- centre is 40mm & a bit close on each arch side

With some minor effort & time, you could add say another 1/2"/ 12mm in width to the top of the arch .
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Slowly getting there - some buttresses now fitted & the end stone wall.

I made a mistake when I first cut the MDF for the base - I made it 4mm too narrow so some buttresses are only one thickness, not the two but all will work out OK ( I hope)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
They really are great models from Scalescenes Sol - the stonework under the arches look good and, one the buttresses are in place, it takes on a look of a "sturdy" structure.  Just like the real thing.

I think you made a good choice in the random stone. :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
I now see from these photos, I may have to add additional flat stones to line up which the adjacent arch.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=95]Sol[/user] wrote:

Pete, I thought this photo ( yes slightly out of focus) will give you the idea of space for double tracks.
I set the  tracks with 6ft way between centre rails = 24mm so centre- centre is 40mm & a bit close on each arch side

With some minor effort & time, you could add say another 1/2"/ 12mm in width to the top of the arch .

Cheers for checking Ron it is a bit tight which is a shame, i was sat on a plate girder bridge the other day so plan B, Plate girder spanning the rails and the viaduct arches either side. I need the arches cos one side is having a garage on a street scene not original i know.

Still watching your mini Ribbleshead

:thumbs

Last edit: by wogga

Regards
Pete.

ECOS2 with RR&Co Traincontroller and a load of other electronics so i can sit back and watch the trains go by.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
The bottom arches - 6 of - "finished" - weathering later together with ground work & terrain.

Now to start on the top part.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Excellent.  :thumbs   Is the track ballasted in?

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Brilliant.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
Excellent.  :thumbs   Is the track ballasted in?
Not yet, it has to be anchored & rails cut as it goes onto top station area, then painted then ballasted.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
The start of the parapet walls. First photo shows one section that covers two arches - double thickness card & the paper to be glued & wrapped & the second photo shows it wrapped. 6 full length sides  9"/ 23cm plus 4 shorter ones required.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
You must be chuffed so far Ron, the second photo of the parapet wall looks so good i love the capping.

Regards
Pete.

ECOS2 with RR&Co Traincontroller and a load of other electronics so i can sit back and watch the trains go by.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Yes, quite neat in the way the capping has been created. The fact that I made the deck 4mm too narrow will create a small problem but I think it will come out OK as long as anyone who gets caught on the bridge & has to take shelter in refuges is only 1 ft fat, they will be OK ! When I go to glue things on, I will take some more Box Brownie shots.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=95]Sol[/user] wrote:
 The fact that I made the deck 4mm too narrow will create a small problem but I think it will come out OK as long as anyone who gets caught on the bridge & has to take shelter in refuges is only 1 ft fat, they will be OK ! When I go to glue things on, I will take some more Box Brownie shots.

Iam afraid I do that. I find I fret a lot about it at the time but once the section is completed the implausible bit can hardly be seen (fortunately)…………..the viaduct is so good Ron nobody will ever notice the diet requirements and you will forget!

Like Pete I love the wall

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
[user=434]John Dew[/user] wrote:

…the viaduct is so good Ron nobody will ever notice the diet requirements and you will forget!

Especially if I have some young people cavorting around in the fields/water I plan to have below the arches, they should take any viewers eyes away from any mistakes  :mutley     ( the same principle another YMRer uses on his beach I think :pedal)

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
The top now finished, track to be painted etc but this will have to do for a while. I have a few other modelling things to get started/finished now.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Great thread Sol - very useful.  I'll be needing a viaduct at Ottersford but it will cross a river, the line to the docks & will be on a curve with four tracks (see layout plan on pg1). So really looking forward to tackling that! I assume that 'scalescenes' stone finish is not 3D? Hard to believe as it's very effective.  What printer do you use?  Mal

All stressed out, got addled brains?
Ride your bike or play with trains!

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Mal, I did  not get it curved as I thought I would - Keep that part for the next one is years time.
Yes the paper is not 3D but effective & I use an EPSON NX220 printer.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Looks brilliant Sol. :thumbs:thumbs

I don't think I'd have any problems with those refuges ………………..:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

The stone makes it somehow appear more of an imprssive structure to me than with brick.  I love the random ashlar.:cheers

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.