The Viaduct

Posted
Rating:
#118970 (In Topic #6225)
Sol
Guest user
As mentioned in my new thread for a small station Charde, I need a long viaduct so I will be using the Scalescenes R017 made up with 7 arches.
The photo below supplied to me by John Wiffen ( with thanks) shows part in brick, mine will be with random Ashlar stone.

Now the fun starts & to make it interesting, on a slight curve at one end & a rising gradient at the same time.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I#ll be watching this Ron, i have bought the viaduct to be the entry to the fiddle yard. I just hope a double track will go under an arch, the top will be a roadway.

Regards

Pete

Last edit: by wogga

Regards
Pete.

ECOS2 with RR&Co Traincontroller and a load of other electronics so i can sit back and watch the trains go by.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
As I said in the other thread Sol, I too am looking forward to this one - oh, nearly forgot - thanks for the curve. :thumbs:thumbs:lol:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
This is for Petermac

showing the curve that will be needed & at the same time climbs nearly 25mm/ 1 ".

That was the easy part - now the fun starts !!!!! as I intend to try to build it in situ.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I shall be watching with interest

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Starting from track base, a piece of 3mm MDF cut to size & covered with the paper base.

That part was easy - now to start on the arches.
Note that in this station, no other track base will be used to raise the track above ground level.  I have glued cork over the entire station area & the reason for this will become clear when I commence track laying.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
The curve seems to have gone, Sol.

Posted
Rating:
That's going to be quite impressive Sol. :thumbs

[line]

It's April in Cornwall…

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
The curve seems to have gone, Sol.
The track is not anchored down yet so I can include a curve again.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Good answer.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Still have stone edges to install on the track base but decided to have a look at installing arches.

Of course, with my viaduct on a gradient, the arches look like this

they are supposed to be under the track base so I cut another single arch out, glued to thin card & cut to fit as a temporary means

as this was successful, I am now gluing the back piece onto the proper arch & will test it again later.  Each arch will therefore be a separate entity.

This is what I get for diverting from the norm !
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
The thin card arch replaced with the correct unit

The curved part of the  arch used a paint tin slightly smaller than needed to get a smooth curve

The two sides now joined with  the arch which had to be shortened.

Another 5 arches to go & be joined with buttresses then work on the top walls, etc.
To hide the white edges, as my texta of the correct colour had run out, I used weathering powders rubbed with my finger.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
And following on from the process I used in the Goods Shed & Station buildings, I have also made the  stones that form the arch also with a 3D  effect by gluing another half circle of stones onto thin card, cutting them out, grey weathering powder on the edges & sticking it over the existing flat printed version. I think it makes it  look a bit different.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
It's looking good Sol - I like the avocado arches …………………….:roll::roll:

Are you going to fit a parapet on top of the trackbed and, what did you use to make the copings along the trackbed - looks good ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Yes Peter,a parapet along the top & the copings are part of the download. It is a versatile kit in having side approaches if required,  it has both double & single track road base & arches.
The hardest part is cutting the thick card for the arches.

The Avocado is the colour I paint my facias like this

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
mmmmm .... avocado.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Looks great Ron...........you become an expert with these Scalescene Kits..............I am sure using a card kit is going to give you a much neater model than using plastic particularly with a curve and an incline

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Household duties, etc slowed things down a bit but 4 basic arches done - 2 to go, then add buttresses, then go to top for the parapet, etc..

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Very tasty Sol. :thumbs

What is the covering under the arches - above where the stone piers stop.? 

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
A photo of that tomorrow, Peter
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.