00 Gauge - Charde

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user

Another station on the Devan and Summersett

Charde Goods shed. Scratch-built by my mate who no longer required it so I scavenged it before he trod on it.

He had not finished it so I added the window framing & a support wall for the internal platform.

The other end - added corner stones for the main track entrance & cut into the external wall for a doorway onto a platform

The roof tiles was also redone from a flat printed sheet into individual tile strips.
Platform frame work done using 2mm card.

More internal supports added, a top part then covered the sides with Scalescenes Random Ashlar stone that matches the shed itself -

Yes, slightly OOF.  Top to be finished with paving stones & a crane and will continue after I have fed the Inner man for lunch.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Platform top cut to size with edge slabs in position. ( Scalescenes edges)

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That's a beauty, Sol.  :thumbs
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Yes, Charde is slowly taking shape now I finished with the Fast Clock.
The platform is now fully paved & of course, having a curved platform helps in laying slabs exclam:

The black bead is a point operating method - a thick wire rod of about 1mm diameter connects to the tiebar of the point behind the shed next to the passenger platform.

Now for the crane.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
That's very good work, Ron.
I had to look closely to see it was paper.
Looking very nice indeed.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
I must say, that looks real good Sol.

Someday I just might have to give this card stuff a try. :shock:

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Looks great Sol.  How did you do the window/door arches ?  I presume the corner stones are cut from a printed sheet and just paper thickness.

It also looks very tough.  It always amazes me just how strong cardboard models are if you use either laminations of thin card or hefty stuff like rthe 2mm.

It's such a "gentle" curve, why did you bother to add it …………………………..? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Looks great Sol.  How did you do the window/door arches ? From a Scalescenes download  I presume the corner stones are cut from a printed sheet and just paper thickness. Yes - with edges marked with a colour marking pen to remove the white.

It also looks very tough.  It always amazes me just how strong cardboard models are if you use either laminations of thin card or hefty stuff like rthe 2mm.

It's such a "gentle" curve, why did you bother to add it …………………………..? Because I had a slight curve in the track so the platform fits the same distance away from the rails along the length :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
That looks a really good build Sol. Like the stone effect very realistic.

PHILL

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
A bit tardy of me posting this - now with the crane

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Is that a Wills kit, Ron?
Looks the part.

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Yes Pete, I have to dirty it up a bit like I did with the one at Watchit.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I think the last one I used had brown bits where you have white bits.

Making those kits saves a lot of messing about scratch building cranes.
I'm running out of little cogs!

I saw a prototype in Portugal of all places.
Not quick enough to get a pic. out of the train window.

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Very good, Sol; all my buildings on Hintock are from card, I use off cuts of mounting card from a picture framers, braced with stripwood and prove very sturdy. It's an excellent material to employ.

I  use Slaters Plasticard for the external covering as the papers now available were not when I needed them those years back, to change now would be inconsistent with my earlier buildings with which they live.

Many of my structures go back 40 years or so and are still in good fettle.

Posted
Rating:
That's interesting John.  What do you use to stick the plasticard skin to the card ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Petermac, I've used various glues but I have had most success with two; one is 'Formula 560 Canopy Glue', its a white fluidy glue that allows a little freedom in fixing one to the other; the other Elmers Model and Hobby Cement' and that sticks snugly quickly. I don't know if they are sold outside the USA. When in the UK I think, I used 'UHU'.

Both have advantages/disadvantages, currently I'm using Elmers for new buildings at Hintock and getting good results.The benefit of Slaters plasticard I find, is the ability to paint and colour it to suit the circumstances and my style.

Posted
Rating:
[user=446]John Flann[/user] wrote:
The benefit of Slaters plasticard I find, is the ability to paint and colour it to suit the circumstances and my style.

I am with you there John, although I have to say the range available from Scalescene is starting to edge a new Laser Printer up my wish list.

Thats a great build Ron……………looks really good:thumbs

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the info. on the glue John.  I've heard of both but I don't think they're available over here - at least I've never seen them advertised.  Of course, UHU is readily available, although it can be "heady" stuff if you don't take care with ventilation.  I'll try that.

On edit - Having just typed the above, I wonder, is there still an age restriction on the sale of solvent glues in UK ?  I remember once upon a time, seeing just cards on the hangers in DIY stores which you took to the till where they issued your tube/can of glue.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
As some will know, my opinion of Slaters products and service is not of the highest.
However, I still use their embossed plasticard as an alternative to Wills Sheets as I can make a whole building in the time it takes to saw through Wills Sheets.
I normally 'back' the embossed sheets with plain 1mm plasticard.
This gives sufficient depth for doors, windows etc. and strengthens the structure.
I do wish there was some viable competition for Slaters though.
Preferably an outfit that can cut a straight line and know where the post office is.

Last edit: by ddolfelin

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
[user=394]ddolfelin[/user] wrote:
As some will know, my opinion of Slaters products and service is not of the highest…………………………………….
I hadn't heard that DD ….:mutley:mutley

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.