00 Gauge - Charde

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user

Another station on the Devan and Summersett

Wayne, the balsa on the lower side that butted up to the plaster was a bit too thin & in an attempt to get a curved road surface/contour , it was not fully supported & using water based paint first cause it to bow - dried out & not too bad. The other side was thicker,  fully glued to the cork & I varnished it first to seal the grain ( I made sure is was a close grained balsa - denser) & that looks OK. Yes, I will continue with balsa even though I won't have the proper contour - I may try to sand it a bit to give the contour.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Ron, I know that the D&S has its own way of doing things but I don't think the access road across that running track would be regarded as good practice.

I know you've done it now but would you consider removing it and have the access parallel to that running line? Where it butts up to the baseboard end could be masked by trees or a building.

Alternatively run the access in at platform height.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Actually John, the access/main  road is one that continues straight on - I am going to have to paint the road curved onto the backboard.
While such a road may not exist in real life in the UK, it certainly does in my local town, the main road going north leaving the shopping precinct, cuts right across the track at the platform end with road access a bit further around then curls back behind houses.  The rail line continues on to the Barossa region for a daily stone train.
 While my track stops dead now, I can have the story that the track did go onto another station which has since been closed with the track removed.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
OK Ron, but you still have an ungated crossing over a running line,and I like the idea of the line having extended further, but it still doesn't get around the fact the crossing is unprotected.

There are, of course, many ungated and unprotected crossings in the US and apparently in Australia and elsewhere, I was looking at it in terms of pre BR and GWR practice.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
John, I agree it is un-protected now but I have intentions of having some method of traffic control. I will have two more crossings in Charde at the other end to consider as well.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol, please remind me of the period in which this is set. That may determine the form (or not) in which this crossing was protected.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Tim. I suppose from late 1940 - to 1980s' - give or take a dozen or so years
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks.  Assuming the earlier year rather than the later, a gate or even a light would not be necessary.  But a watchman and hut might reflect the 40s.  Woe betide any delivery driver who dared defy a railway employee with a red flag!

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Tim, would stop signs been in vogue then in the late 40s?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
I could use this method   - from Wikipedia

A level crossing sign on the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway (a 15" narrow gauge heritage railway) at St Mary's Bay railway station, England

or even this  - Fig 7 from http://www.railsigns.co.uk/info/xings1/xings1.html
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
A few years ago ,a woman driver stopped at the crossing at the flashing lights to allow the train to pass .  The lights continued to flash but she drove off colliding with a second train on the other track. The loco was turned on its side ,the  steam loco driver a young guy 31 i think, was killed.
The loco was restored ,it was due for a major overhaul a few months after the date of the accident ,but it had the work carried out  soon afterwords.  Sad time :sad:

reg

Posted
Rating:
[user=95]Sol[/user] wrote:
Tim, would stop signs been in vogue then in the late 40s?
I don't know.  I'd guess yes, but no idea of their design.

Posted
Rating:
A few to choose from here.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/trafficsignsimages/imagelist.php?CATID=8

All signs were of course, removed during the war but quickly replaced afterwards.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Thanks Peter.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
With due respect to my friend, the Right Hon. Member for Bergerac…  them is modern signs!  Time to do some web searching for the 40s and 50s….  I'm on the case!

Last edit: by rector

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Sol, the kind of notice would be decided by the nature of the road, is it a public highway or one within the railway boundary provided by the railway, ie, a private one.

If the first formal signs would be likely required, if the second 'Beware of Trains' could suffice.

And in which country is the S&D?-that would affect the type of sign.

Posted
Rating:
[user=5]rector[/user] wrote:
With due respect to my friend, the Right Hon. Member for Bergerac…  them is modern signs!  Time to do some web searching for the 40s and 50s….  I'm on the case!
My learned friend, the Rt. Hon. Member for Wainscott may well be right (:oops:).  If not exactly "modern" they are from the 60's and not the 40's.

I'll look into it along with you - first with an example buys the next round ……………….:cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
I found these sign sheets that relate to many period railways.  A shame that the images are not large enough to read the words on some signs, but they certainly show the type of designs and colours in use.  Prices are also good!

Miniature Signs

Last edit: by rector

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Thanks for the Signs sites - more to look at at.

On the D&S ( based loosely in the UK) the road is a public road with the private part going behind the platform.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.