00 Gauge - Charde

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user

Another station on the Devan and Summersett

Now that all trackwork has been finished for the layout ( excluding any signals) & I have basically finished the Train Orders ( 31 in total of 12 passenger & 19 freight), now is the time for getting stuck into more scenery.

Charde Station building  & Signal box re-clad in random Ashlar stone & the goods shed also matches.

the first job will be doing the cliff face & tunnel mouth :

so slowly it goes. Tunnel mouth first. Scalescenes of course.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Now that the tunnel mouth is finished ( under the Scalescenes part of YMR), time to start filling in holes.

Partly done - the foil is to stop plaster sticking to the baseboard of  Charde ( I had to wait unti the train room warmed up to doing any plastering as it was 6C in the room this morning).

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
6C :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:  I thought Australia was supposed to be hot and half desert !!  That's cold Sol. :chicken  Mind you, considering we're supposed to be in high summer, the last 2 weeks have been terrible here - cold, wet and windy. So much so that the people (from Brittany) who were renting our holiday house packed up and went home early.  The first (and I hope last) time that's happened !!

The tunnel mouth looks great - when I saw the earlier "positioning shot", I'd imagined it would look similar to this and it really does blend in and not look at all "contrived". :thumbs

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Even in desert, it gets cold at night.
Here in Adelaide, capital of South Oz, the minimum temperature varies from 0c in winter to sometimes staying at 30c in summer. Our daily maximums vary also from 9c to 45c.

I should get more done to the plastering tomorrow & Sunday even with house hold duties & family visitations.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:hiRon, I do like Charde your new station addition to your overall railway, A nice relaxing little haven to do a bit of quite shunting away from the more busy mainline.

Thats one of the benefits of the larger layout, You can move around to something different as the mood takes you.:thumbs

Regards,

Derek

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Slow progression on a platform for Charde.
13mm foam, topped with 2.5mm balsa - in the process of cutting some strips of 2.5 x 13 mm balsa for the sides.

The station building reclad by my mate from his scribed balsa walls ( as depicted in earlier photos)  to being covered with Scalescenes Random Ashlar paper - this matches the signal box & goods shed.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Nice Ron. :thumbs

I'm not sure if you've said elsewhere but why have you stopped building your own track ?  I do remember you said there was no financial advantage for straight track as opposed to pointwork so maybe it's just a question of speed.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Peter, yes if you wanted to have track looking just right, make it but normally no cost saving , it is points that save money & you get the actual radius, etc that you need. I had decided after I did Tawnton, enough was enough & so carried on using Peco 75.

00 scale/gauge is a compromise anyway so what is a bit more quest: 

My main focus is on operation so accurate looking track is down the list.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Stone walls done

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
It looks like a very easy and quick system of platform construction Sol but the results look just as good as anything else. :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Forgot to ask - and you may already have said but what do you use to stick the balsa to the foam ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
PVA mate, anything else dissolves foam.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
:thumbs:thumbs  Thanks Sol.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Platform edges like this now finished

Edges created using a spreadsheet program.

the platform & building - the gap between edges to be tarmac-ed using Scalescenes paper modified in colour

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
The surface now done.

Due to many repairs, joining lines of the tarmac are visible in some parts.  I mean the platform for Charde was built back in the 12930's & has had a lot of traffic.

In the model form, yeah well, I used  grey weathering powders to merge the joins.

Now to fix it in position & do side steps & ramps, etc.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Why have you been wasting your time with track lyaing all this while?  You are clearly a scenery man.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Flattery is good but cash compliments are better!
Scenery is NOT my strong point. Jack of all trades & Master of none is better suited for me  ( yeah I may know a little bit about DC).
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
Why have you been wasting your time with track lyaing all this while?  You are clearly a scenery man.  :thumbs
Absolutely.

BTW what yr is 12930:mutley

Any DCC is better than no DCC

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
. . . and steam powered radio.  ;-)

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=95]Sol[/user] wrote:
Flattery is good but cash compliments are better!
Scenery is NOT my strong point. Jack of all trades & Master of none is better suited for me  ( yeah I may know a little bit about DC).
 Now come on Sol, now that you are a DCC guru knowledge of DC is redundant:It's a no no:cool wink

Any DCC is better than no DCC
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.