Members Monthly Project - May

Posted
Rating:

Improving RTR Locomotives -

I take it you don't recommend an angle grinder for the moulded handrails then John ……:roll::roll:

Re the "real" ones - no, I haven't sourced them yet but that's probably because I haven't even tried to !!  I wasn't joking when I said it may be 2015 before I get it done !!  The first thing I have to do is work out how to get the body off - I've noticed those carriers for the motion seem to be attached to the body ……………..

I'm certainly going to see what I can make of it though. :cheers

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Well,here's a couple of images to show that just that small change made to the front wheels has already made for an improved appearance,even though I may change it even further with a new bogie and even slightly larger wheels again….
  Looking at prootype pictures,the wheels WERE a tad larger,and a tad closer together,so room for yet more improvement here.This may lead to me sourcing a new bogie…possibly a kit.
Before;

After:

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Last edit: by georgejacksongenius

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:hiJohn B, Nice project you have there. Hmm I have an old Jinty that needs new wheels, I will change them to romford/markit, I will keep the old chassis and motor/gears as it works well, also use a knurled markit/hornby axle for the hornby gear,Save messing around, and drill out the crankpin holes in 4 of the romford wheels so they accept the pins on the hornby coupling rods, Keep the center pair threaded for the hornby fixing screw. :lol: I am getting lazy. A bit of filing on the coupling rod profiles and job should be done.

Will try to get my brothers camera for some pic.,s

Sorry to have been away from the forum, Its good to get back and into the model fun again.

regards,

Derek

Last edit: by shunter1

Posted
Rating:
Good Lad Derek.
:Happy
 Nice to hear from you again mate.
    That makes 3 locos now….and they're all LMS kettles!! Don't we have any Discontented Diseasel Owners out there?? No Lacking-that-certain-something LNER  chuffers?? 
No Something-not-quite-right Southern choo-choo??
Obviously all the GWR locos can't be improved upon!!(Perfection!)
:pedal:pedal:pedal:mutley
  Well done Petermac and Derek.Still time for others to join in;the more the merrier,and the more variety we deal with,the more useful the excercise will be.Don't be shy,chaps!!

Posted
Rating:
[user=201]georgejacksongenius[/user] wrote:

Obviously all the GWR locos can't be improved upon!!(Perfection!)
:pedal:pedal:pedal:mutley

Don't be shy,chaps!!

I have a number of GWR lococs that I want to add some more detail to, particularly an open cab hornby pannier, that needs a tarpaulin hood for the cab, fire irons, lamps, couplings etc etc so shall be watching and learning but don't have the time at the moment to do any doing.  :sad:

Posted
Rating:
Nick,
      Not to worry mate,but when you DO get around to the doing,at least bang up some before and after pictures.
:pathead

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Just an update John, I have ordered romford/markit wheels and axles, also will get some pic,s of the jinty before moding on this thread this weekend.
regards,
Derek

Posted
Rating:
Good lad Derek,
         I'm currently (carefully!!!) removing the moulded handrails on my loco.Once they're removed  and sanded smooth,I'll put up a series of pics showing me putting real handrails on.
 Actually,I'd better start trawling through all my boxes hunting for handrail knobs,cos I can't for sure remember which bloomin' box they're in!
         I'm going to a local show tomorrow,so hopefully,I'll be able to pick up some LMS red paint.

Its still only the 6th of May,so if anyone else is feeling the urge to improve one of their locos,please,please feel free to join in.I plead with you…..I'm a miserable little pleader!!!
:mutley

Posted
Rating:
Well I got the body of both the loco and tender on my victim pretty easily.  A single screw under the footplate holding the loco body on and the tender seemed to be some kind of a press fit.

I was quite surprised that they'd spelt "Bachmann" incorrectly on the moulding.  They spelt it "Hornby" ………..:oops::oops::oops::oops:

I started by removing the brass valves from the top of the firebox so I had an almost clear run at removing the mould line along the boiler top then set about cutting / scraping those horrible heavily moulded handrails off the boiler sides using a retractable craft knife (with care).  I also tried tidying things up just a bit with a mini file that was covered in old "Linka" plaster.  It didn't do much tidying up but it certainly cleaned the file !!!!  :

Now when Mr Ivatt designed these locos, he didn't think ahead to the time when I would be removing moulded hand rails.  He put some very awkward bits and bobs on the boiler just in the way of my knife and file.  This thing that looks like a side-light on a vintage car is absolutely in the wrong place.  It's on with the fine wet and dry tomorrow to try and clean it all up but I think she looks better already:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member

Rising to the bait about GWR locos, this a  standard RTR Bachmann 57XX that I got many years ago, what I did was:-

1, to put real coal in the bunker,
2, place crew in cab,
3, add lamps,
4, fit screw couplings,
5, paint cab roof charcoal/black and
6, wash the body and running gear with a dilute black.

No longer a' toy', but a working loco.

Perfection!

Posted
Rating:
Well done that man!
  You're well ahead of me as regards removing the handrails Peter.Mind you,yours were plastic and much easier to see!!!
  I didn't realise my loco body was metal until today,so its out with the dremel and files for me!
Good job so far Peter,once you've run over the scars with a fine wet and dry you'll never have known anything was there.
  Actually,it might be an idea to leave a very slight trace to help you align/drill out your holes for your handrail knobs.

Posted
Rating:
John,
      Lovely loco!! See what can be done,lads! Doesn't that picture of that Pannier inspire anyone else to join in? We can stick all the finished pics in the gallery once the project's finished.

:hmm

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Nicely done, John.  :thumbs 

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
The way to go.:thumbs

reg

Posted
Rating:
[user=201]georgejacksongenius[/user] wrote:
………………………………..  Actually,it might be an idea to leave a very slight trace to help you align/drill out your holes for your handrail knobs……………………..

Good point John - I hadn't thought about that. :thumbs

I've now got to source some handrails and knobs ……:roll::roll:

Looking at photos of the prototype, the handrail was straight from the firebox to the front of the boiler and just stood off further where the boiler narrows after the firebox.  I need knobs with long shanks for the boiler. :???:

Where do you guys buy your handrails and knobs - I could Google it but any previous experience is always welcome.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Peter,
        Put Markits in your google,and download the pdf file with all their wares and prices on it.Not only do they do handrail knobs,but lots of other fascinating detail bits and bobs.The handrail knobs are near the end of the list,but they do LOADS of great detailling items for LMS and Midland locos!

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi John, The victim as promised :lol:. I support your recomendation of Markits, loads of goodies and they know their stuff.

The Jinty Before photo,s

(Click to enlarge)

Posted
Rating:
Thanks guys - I'll look at Markits site.

I'll have to wait until Monday before I do anymore "cleaning up" as the wet and dry I've got is far too coarse - don't ask how I know !!! :oops::oops::oops::twisted:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
This place also has lots of bits & pieces
http://www.mainlytrains.co.uk/acatalog/index.html
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Now gentlemen,
                      We have three LMS locos currently under refurbishment.John has shown us his lovely inspirational completed pannier.
                      What we DON'T have running under this project at the mo' are;any GWR,LNER,SR,BR,any DISEASELS,any(Yeeuch!!)MODERN OUTLINE…
                       To make this thread of real lasting value,it would be nice to have some variety.
Come on lads,step up to the hocky…your forum needs you!!!
(General Kitchener eat your heart out!):mutley

(I promise this will be the last nagging reminder.)
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.