Rating:
Legacy Member
Looking forward to it John:thumbs

reg
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Reg,
     As I've said,although the loco I personally will be tackling is an N gauge loco,the stuff that I'll be doing to it is applicable in any scale,and hopefully as many members who want to have a bash themselves will join in with their own locos.
     Almost all of us have at least one loco in our collection that can be improved in some way,so I'm hoping some of you'll have a bash too!

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
I'm sure that there are many members (like me!) who follow these projects with great interest, even if we're not producing that particular monthly item at the time.
The reference material will be valuable.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Righto,here we go!
 Firstly,as many of you that want to,please feel free to post your own efforts to improve your locos here on this thread,then they'll all be together for easy reference.
 Now,I don't see this as a tutorial,there are far better and more experienced modellers on this forum than I am,I see this rather as a chance for as many as want to,to do something together that will benefit us all.The current crop of RTR locos that are being produced are far,far better than those that were produced years ago.Some of these older efforts stick out like a sore thumb alongside their more modern equivalents.For example,compare the old Graham Farish N gauge Black 5 with the new model.Moulded handrails/pipes as against proper ones,Solid backed driving wheels as against open spokes.The finer detailed motion of the newer model,glazed cab,finer numbering,lettering etc.
  As I am going to be tackling an old LMS 4P Compound,it might be nice if one or two of you had a bash at a Diesel,or electric loco.Anything that improves it counts,it needn't be anything too major,but the more variety we get,the better.
 As a starting point,I suggest that once you've identified your "victim"loco,you try to get a few really good prototype pictures to use of your chosen model,so you know what it SHOULD look like.Also,I would suggest before you do anything to your locos at all,you take a "Before" picture.Then,when it's completed,you can compare by taking an "After"photo too!!

I'm now off to take my "Before"shot,and I'll post it this evening,along with my "to-do list"of intended jobs.Let battle commence!!!
:cool wink

Posted
Rating:
I bought an Ivatt Class 2 tender loco on fleabay thinking it was one of the latest models …………:oops::oops::oops::oops:

That might be a candidate for some improvement if I can find the time.

Oh, nearly forgot - what's a "diesel" ? :lol::cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Well Gentlemen,
    Here she is,my intended victim.The "Before"photos;

The details,or lack of,show up better in picture 2.Straight away,those horrendous Farish front bogie wheels smack you in the eye;they'll be replaced,and the moulded handrails will be cut/ground/filed off and replaced with real ones on both loco and tender.There is no cab handrail,no crew,too big a gap twixt loco and tender.Horrible mouded coal load,etc,etc.
 So…..plenty to keep me busy the rest of this month.Hope a few more of you pitch in with your own locos.Please DON"T be shy,and don't miss the chance to get in on the action.
Don't let me be all alone!!!

:doublethumb

Posted
Rating:
Right Peter,
  Lets see some photos,and tell us what you're going to be doing to her!!
(Remember everyone,you do what YOU want to do to improve your loco.It needn't just be the appearance….it may be improving it's running capability.)
  Well done Peter for getting the ball rolling…
:Happy

Posted
Rating:
[user=201]georgejacksongenius[/user] wrote:
Assuming that Bob DOES want me to do the loco improvement project for May,the last thing i will be doing to it will be fitting replacement DG couplings,(albeit N gauge couplings)so that should link neatly into the June project for couplings.As more existing and new members seem to be N gauge modellers,it might be of interest.
   Of course,if you're a OO modeller,everything applies the same,you just need to think bigger!:mutley

I'll be interested to see how you get on with the DG's in N gauge John.

We'll be able to compare techniques but I have enough trouble with them in 4mm :shock:

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
When you are ready to start John I will archive this topic and give you a clean start for your May project.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Its already of tremendous interest here.:thumbs

reg

Posted
Rating:
Robert,
         I thought we had started!….Ooops.
If you want to start it off as a seperate thread,can you copy from post 25 onwards,otherwise,just let it run on from here? Up to you,boss!
:mutley

Nick,
      Fitting DG couplings will be one of the last things I do to her.I hate changing couplings,they're so damn fiddly in N gauge,whichever variety you choose,but I'm going to be cowardly and lazy and just put one on the tender as it is a tender engine and a former main-line loco and as such would rarely be seen working a train backwards!! Also,it detracts from the looks at the front.(although any coupling looks better than those massive rubbish standard couplings!)

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
OK John we will let it run as it is.

Posted
Rating:
Well,I made the first move today.I wanted to replace that front bogie with the silly little wheels and ridiculously large unprototypical flanges.
  Now what's that saying about the best laid plans….
I thought it would be simple to just swap the old bogie for a new one(discarded from a Farish LMS Jubilee"Trafalgar").No way Jose. The new bogie would not fit underneath,and the connecting strip between bogie and loco underside was too short.
  My solution was to keep the original bogie,but replace the wheels.The axles were different diameters,which meant to fit the new wheelsets,I had to ream and broach out the holes in the bogie to fit the new wheelsets in!!

I'm still not 100% sure about the compromise,and may yet build a new bogie..we'll see.(Kits for both LMS and GWR bogies are available,I may invest in one!)For the time being,however,you can see the look is improved,but I envisage lots of shenanegins going on in this area before I'm happy with it.The problem in N gauge is that you HAVE to make compromises that you don't in other scales.Still,its a definate improvement,so onwards and upwards…

Last edit: by georgejacksongenius

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Is there a problem with the photographs then John?

Posted
Rating:
Only that I haven't took them yet,Robert!!! …….I'm waiting to use the wife's camera tonight,then I'll edit them in.

P.S.
The original running number of this loco was 1111,but the cabside trasfers are virtually obliterated,they don't show up on the photos,so I'm re-numbering it 1014.I've got a lovely old picture of 1014 in LMS livery for reference,and she has curved outside steam pipes,so I'll be adding them.The LMS letters on the tender are in the wrong style,so I will also be correcting that.
 I have a second 4P that I might also have a go at if I finish 1014 before the monthly project is over.

In the meantime,lads,don't be shy.There must be at least a few of you that are just itching to work on at least one of your own locos.Just jump in as and when,the more the merrier,and the sooner the better.I'm beginning to feel a bit lonely!!:roll::lol:

Last edit: by georgejacksongenius

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Whoe ! Don't feel lonely John ,we are probably struck with awe .Reaming out for n gauge axles ,your a better man than me Gunga Din.  :shock:

reg

Posted
Rating:
Here's my project for May ……………..probably lasting until May 2015 !!!

It's a Bachmann Ivatt Class 2 purchased from fleabay:

I'd like to add some "detail" to the buffer beams - maybe the odd pipe or some other unneccessary fragile bit …..

I'd also like to get rid of that dreadful moulded coal and put some real stuff in - the problem is, in this part of France, real coal is rarer than hen's teeth !!

Another "must do" is to get rid of the mould line along the boiler top and replace the moulded handrails with real ones.

It might also be possible to couple the tender slightly closer - at present, you could get the first wagon in the gap !!

I'd also like some cab details and of course, a crew.

If anyone spots anything else that I can fix with a lump hammer and chisel, please shout out. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
A handsome beast, Peter.  A worthy recipient of your tender ministry.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Peter,
       So glad someone else has chipped in,I would've hated to do it alone…thanks mate.Nice choice of loco too.One of Mr Ivatt's better locos.
       A serious note of caution when you come to cut off the moulded handrails.Judging from the photos,there's an awfully thick wedge to cut through there!! Don't go losing any of your body parts….its the parts of that loco we want to lose!!! Bit at a time and slow progress is better than going at it like a bull at a gate and losing a finger.
       Now this really ISN'T me trying to teach you how to suck eggs,I just don't want anyone hurt as a result of this project.I've come very close a few times myself with N gauge locos doing this.
       When you've done,she should look amazing.Have you sourced your handrails/handrail knobs and detail bits yet?

PS.Still plenty of time for others to join us,and you needn't be doing as much to your particular loco as we are,and it need not necessarily be a cosmetic job…it could be adding pickups to improve its performance….whatever.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.