Members Monthly Project - May

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member

Improving RTR Locomotives -

I'll leave this project where it is until you think enough has been said on the subject.
Sol is making a great job of the June effort so now we are looking for volunteers for July etc, etc. These projects can be as simple or as complicated as you want them to be. No matter what the subject someone will be interested in it.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Well,I've done a wee bit more on 1014……not as much as I would've liked,but I've had a really hectic couple of weeks with a couple of family parties and travelling down to Colchester for my nephew's medal parade.(He was with 2Para in Helmand!)
   I'll stick some photos up later this evening.Progress has been mixed….some good,some not,and I will be changing the bits I'm not happy with,so she's still very much a "work in progress".
Just wondering how the other lads are progressing with their locos??
:hmm

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi, John B,
I made those plastic axle spacers now just need to make some very small insulating washers for the coupling rods.
Still getting a few sparks, Also I must recheck the old romford wheels I have used, I suspect that on one of them the insulation has broken down, Like myself bits seem to fall off with age! haha.

Posted
Rating:
I'm still going with mine John although absolutely no progress over the last week or two - very, very busy at present although nothing as grand as a medal award ceremony - you must be a very proud Uncle :thumbs

With me, it's just been the summer slog getting our gite ready for the "season" which has now started.  I only wish we made some real money out of the darned thing !!!  Still, I suppose it's better than it sitting in the bank just fading away.

I'll try to get something moving this week although I really don't know where the days go to …………:cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Well,as promised,albeit a day late,here are the latest shots of 1014…..

As you can see,the camera very cruelly exposes the hand-painted lining-out on the splashers.
I'll be "revisiting" that using the proper Fox transfers and….taking my time,rather than trying to do it QUICK,I'll attempt to do it RIGHT!
  Also,in my haste,I've cocked up the extended frame…it shouldn't reach the top edge of the buffer beam,and the angle shouldn't be 45 degrees…more like about 30 degrees.Also,there needs to be a hole drilled through each side.
  I will also deffo be getting a proper LMS bogie and chimney to replace these monstrosities!

Other than that,I'm quite happy with it so far…….
:mutley

Last edit: by georgejacksongenius

Posted
Rating:
That's a huge improvement John,  even with the "still to do" bits.  And in "N" gauge too ……………….:shock::shock::pathead

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
You're too kind Peter.:oops:She doesn't look too bad from a distance,but when I look at the close-ups,I get a bit of a cringe! The chimney wouldn't have looked half as bad if I'd have disguised the join with paint prior to photographing it.The frames I just rushed at…they're a couple of pieces of scrap brass fret cut to(the wrong)shape.The lining over the splashers will be redone,new bogie,loads to do on the cab and tender yet…
  She might be finished for Christmas……not saying which Christmas though!!!:roll::lol::lol:

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
you are too hard on yourself mate,in that scale I would be hard pressed to paint the loco never mind the lining,
if it looks fine at a distance then don`t get too close o.k??

:mutley:doublethumb:lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:doublethumbComing along nicely John, I love the Red and gold,

With those extra bits added as well it sure improves on the original model.

Keep up the excellent work!

regards

Derek

Posted
Rating:
[user=15]owen69[/user] wrote:
you are too hard on yourself mate,in that scale I would be hard pressed to paint the loco never mind the lining,
if it looks fine at a distance then don`t get too close o.k??

:mutley:doublethumb:lol::lol::cool:
Absolutely agree Owen - credit where credit's due - it look massively better than what you started with John and, as that's the theme of the project, I'd say you've succeeded beyond all expectations. :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the kind remarks lads,but I've got to get a wriggle on,cos I've got another 4P to do,and I've promised Ged (Salfordman) that I'll sort out his little Southern 0-6-0t…..its currently in about 3,000 bits in a box just waiting for me to get one of those round tuits!!
 Then I've got a Peco Jubilee to give a similar treatment to,a couple of Jintys,a Duchess,an OLD Farish Black 5,a new one to re-number,and a Royal Scot to re-name/re-number.
  It'll be worth all the pain and hassle once they're done!(I'll be about ready to retire then!)

Posted
Rating:
After those, there's all mine.  I'm just packing them up to send over John - I can see you're an expert and as it's taken me about 4 years just to sand off the handrails on my Ivatt Class 2, you'd probably have them all done before I decide what actually needs doing !!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::roll::roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Peter,
       I'm just trying to get my LMS fleet up to scratch because I'm in the planning stages of building an LMS MPD layout in n gauge (Shepley Shed)based on the old ex-L&YR shed and coaling stage at Mirfield.
      I'm amassing quite a fleet…2,(maybe 3 soon )Duchesses,2 Royal Scots,2 Jubilees,3 Black 5s,2 or 3 4Ps,a 4F and two Jintys.
      Basically,I wanted a small layout,almost like a module,that could either be expanded or added on to a larger layout……..the one that I keep promising myself I'll build ONE DAY!!!
(And meanwhile,back in the real world,I keep plodding on with Perranporth!):roll:

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=201]georgejacksongenius[/user] wrote:
Peter,
       I'm just trying to get my LMS fleet up to scratch because I'm in the planning stages of building an LMS MPD layout in n gauge (Shepley Shed)based on the old ex-L&YR shed and coaling stage at Mirfield.
      I'm amassing quite a fleet…2,(maybe 3 soon )Duchesses,2 Royal Scots,2 Jubilees,3 Black 5s,2 or 3 4Ps,a 4F and two Jintys.
      Basically,I wanted a small layout,almost like a module,that could either be expanded or added on to a larger layout……..the one that I keep promising myself I'll build ONE DAY!!!
(And meanwhile,back in the real world,I keep plodding on with Perranporth!):roll:

:thumbsNice one John, Thats quite a fleet you have built up and the right company too :mutley

Thats a great idea an MPD layout and Lanky to boot :thumbs

Must be great minds think alike,

I have been reading all my old lanky branchline booklets, Found just the plans to base my railway track plan on.

The Bacup Branch, Double track. good station terminus an MPD down the line on the route to Brittania, 4-road shed, TT and coaling stage, Of course usual model licence my friend. :mutley

Keep plowing on John you will get there.:thumbs

:cheers Derek

Posted
Rating:
Derek,
        definately modellers licence….ex LYR shed and coaling plant,but ex Midland signal box!:roll:
(……….well,they're both LMS!!!)
How's the Jinty coming on?

Last edit: by georgejacksongenius

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:hiJohn, We both will be having some mix and match fun by the look of it :mutley

The Jinty just needs some insulated crankpin washers, I shall make them this week, and she should be ready to run?

I really don,t know about the bodywork as the Jinty,s were far too modern for my time frame :roll: Wonder how long that will last!:mutley

Posted
Rating:
You need to get your atlas out Derek.

When I were a lad, both Mirfield and Shepley were firmly in Yorkshire.  As far as I'm aware, they still are - Mirfield not far from Leeds and Dewsbury and Shepley not far from Huddersfield - unless I've got the wrong Mirfield and Shepley …………….:roll::roll::roll:

I'll watch development with great interest John. My kind of countryside. :thumbs  As Derek said, you've already got a fair old stud to populate it. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Peter,
       When I decided on the name Shepley Shed,it was just a name that popped into my head…I never thought of a real Shepley somewhere! I think the name was in my head because of some local street names…Tom Shepley Street,John Shepley Street,in Hyde…they're both literally only 100 yards away!!! I also thought it somehow sounded "Northern" and typically LMS somehow.
       I'll have to do a bit of research now to see if there's anything in Shepley that I can use and throw into the mix…
…can't beat a bit of serendipity!

Derek,
        As for the Jinty being out of your timescale…couldn't you get a body kit for something that would fit? ……..After all,you've already done so much work on the chassis,it'd be a shame not to put it to good use?

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
You need to get your atlas out Derek.

When I were a lad, both Mirfield and Shepley were firmly in Yorkshire.  As far as I'm aware, they still are - Mirfield not far from Leeds and Dewsbury and Shepley not far from Huddersfield - unless I've got the wrong Mirfield and Shepley …………….:roll::roll::roll:

I'll watch development with great interest John. My kind of countryside. :thumbs  As Derek said, you've already got a fair old stud to populate it. :cheers

:mutleySorry Peter, I should have said L&Y instead of Lanky :oops:

John I will make up a body for the chassis, Just maybe an Aspinall conversion of the old Barton Wright 0-6-0 to a saddle tank job.

Of course the wheel base will be a bit off :shock:

At the moment I am up to my eyeballs with Track.

Posted
Rating:
Apology accepted Derek :mutley

Whilst by blood, I'm half Scot, I spent most of my life in Yorkshire so am virtually "nationalised" and we're very touchy on that side of the hill !!  "Lanky" to us means long legged - when we mean "Lancashire", the words we use are best not committed to paper ………..:lol::lol:;-):cheers

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.