Rating:
#118259 (In Topic #6180)
Legacy Member

Improving RTR Locomotives -

Well we didn't do so good in April so fingers crossed for May
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sorry, but I have only just caught up on the demise of an April monthly project, and as the thread is archived, I had to reply here.

If there is a desire to have a small project on wiring low voltage lighting as requested by Rick, I would happily give it a go for April still, if it is not too late? It would be a shame to lose the momentum on these so far very useful monthly projects.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
OK Geoff let me see if I can put it back.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Hooray we now have a project for April. Will members give some thought to a May project please. Any modelling subject you like. Simple ones are just as welcome as the more advanced type. Thinking caps on fellas.

Posted
Rating:
I'm following this one, I've got the battery holder, 3mm and 1mm leds, an old telephone charger transformer, some 1000 ohm resistors and mill building so, Vesti la Jubba!

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Much as I'd love to join in these monthly projects, spring is most definitely a "no-no" for me - far too much outside work !!

Add to that, Liz has gone off to Australia on her annual R & R jaunt leaving me to do my own ironing.  I don't know whay the World is coming to …………..:roll::roll:

I do however, follow them and yearn for more spare time …………….maybe one day :roll::roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Herewith my little 'lighting bar' for the mill, the gap between the leads of a 3mm LED are exactly the right distance apart to take a coffee stirrer from Bar Stucks, so I've put two LEDs with a 1000 ohm resistor between them onto a stirrer, held with a little sellotape until some strategic blobs of PVA set, and, it works!

Doug

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Robert,
         re ideas for the May project. How about everyone,(or as many who want to)improving a RTR loco??
Most of us have at least one loco amongst our loco rosters that could stand a bit of work to bring them up to scratch.It could involve almost everyone to various degrees.
:hmm
I've got a few contenders myself,chief among them is a Farish LMS compound in N gauge.

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
If we don't have a volunteer in the next week then we could do that John, even if you turn out to be the only one doing anything.  ;-)

Posted
Rating:
I would like to suggest a topic for someone to do a tutorial on. Replacing couplers. It may sound very simple to most of you, but there are a few of us out there (yep, I'm one of them) who could use some advice. Especially if you have some tips on putting the pieces together with the stupid little screw in the center. :sad:

When  I try and change the couplers on the cars it seems like an impossible task for my fingers. Plus when I finally get it together, it doesn't line up with the height gauge. So now what do I do? Especially if the coupler needs to go up.

Yes, I know you've done a hundred of them, well I'm still stuck on number one!

It's a potential topic that hopefully is very simple for someone.

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Bob, put me down to do a Kadee coupler topic in June letting John to do loco improvement im May.
This will give me time to prepare & write it up in Word.

Edit -  added the word  Kadee
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I also think a project on replacing couplings would be very useful. I've just done all my NEM-pocket equipped stock but I have a load of older trucks and locos that I would also like to fit with Kadees such as the No.5.

So if we have someone with experience of putting these things together and getting them set to the right height, I for one would be immensely grateful if they would step up and help us out.

Perry

Edit: Thanks Sol. Our posts crossed.

Last edit: by Perry

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
OK Sol, you're on. June it is. Great.

Posted
Rating:
Well OK, if you insist on June. :lol: Please don't be surprised if I don't comment on it. I will be up north the whole time, with very limited internet access. :cry:

You can bet I will look it over when I get back though. :lol:

Thanks Sol!!!!

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
This should be a useful project and I will watch with interest. I took notes from this article:-

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/other/mti_article.shtml

several years ago when I started to convert to Kadee, and I note that it is also referenced from Bob's Barchester web site. It could be a useful starting point, perhaps?

Posted
Rating:
That's quite a useful article, Geoff, but it would be even better with clearer photographs taken in colour. I find it quite hard to make out the detail in the black and white ones.

Perry

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Don't jump the gun yet for the Kadee monthly project. John B is doing one on loco refurbishment I think for May.

The link by Geoff on Kadee is in the YMR index under K for  ……
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I'll look forward to the June project then.  I'm still trying to figure out how to fit Smiths 3-link couplers to Bachmann freight wagons fitted with pockets :roll:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Assuming that Bob DOES want me to do the loco improvement project for May,the last thing i will be doing to it will be fitting replacement DG couplings,(albeit N gauge couplings)so that should link neatly into the June project for couplings.As more existing and new members seem to be N gauge modellers,it might be of interest.
   Of course,if you're a OO modeller,everything applies the same,you just need to think bigger!:mutley

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Of course I want you to do the tutorial John. A lot of people will be interested.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.