Cheap corrugated iron sheets

Posted
Rating:

How to make them

Perry, What I used was a little different than yours, http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=12405&forum_id=19
Regards Jeff.

jeffjgale@gmail.com

www.willowcreekrr.net
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Many thanks for this tip.
Now to make one for N gauge!!

Foster :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Hi Roy,

Evergreen do 6 different sizes of corrugated roofing/siding that cover N through O. DIY is fine for a small shed, a building with acres of sheeting is somethings different. And doing curves with aluminum sheet is nigh on impossible.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
I made a press with styrene rod for corrugated to scale 7mm scale proportions.  OK the press wouldn't actually finish the shape, so I made a "pusher" with a coffee stirrer, filed and sanded to the right shape. I then cut sheets to scale with a little extra in the width.  Dropped in the press and held with my little finger ( I have very small hands) and the pusher run along the pattern of styrene rods that make up the press. Takes seconds.  Then rolled over a piece of pipe and Evo-Sticked to a piece of 4" guttering in the correct pattern of construction of a Nissen hut.  The aluminium is that used in Chinese takeaway trays, available from supermarkets in packs if, like ours, your local Chinese has gone over to plastic tubs.  I use those to keep models in too!Curves are actually not a problem, to my surprise.
These are in fact master parts for N-Drive's scenic range.

Martin

Manifestly it is better to use simple tools expertly than to possess a bewildering assortment of complicated gadgets and either neglect or use them incompetently. ( L.T.C.Rolt)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Martin,
I take it back, it can be done.
Hang on though, that's in N. I tried this in O, it's too fragile, and the corrugations distort

Nigel 

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
No, Nigel, that's in 7mm scale, our O.  I wouldn't try it in N!  Although I have made masters for N-Drive in 2mm scale.  But no scenic ones.  N-Drive stands for Nev as in Nev Kent.  He produces 9mm gauge powered chassis in various configurations and I used to do master for different locos to push the chassis sales, although he has so many chassis to do he can't keep up!  I did a coupe of 2mm scale, a couple of 4mm (OO9) and some O9 scale.  I,ve also done a 4mm canal narrow boat (Heather Bell), a lobster boat, a river cruiser and a Scottish Fifie fishing boat and there's a sailing barge on the way, all in 4mm to start with.

If you use Chinese/Indian takeaway tubs, the foil is thick enough to be self-supporting.

Martin

Manifestly it is better to use simple tools expertly than to possess a bewildering assortment of complicated gadgets and either neglect or use them incompetently. ( L.T.C.Rolt)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Martin,

I've used the chassis' in the past. Our aluminum foil for barbeque trays or turkey roasting pans must be inferior to the UK equivalent. Must be the missing I. I'll stick with styrene sheet, hand crafting the scale equivalent of several acres  in foil is not my idea of modeling. Plus I can glue to the frame with styrene cement, and attach NBWs likewise.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.