Bromsgrove Models

Posted
Rating:

Highly recommended

One issue, I was told, was that you can be sued in the US without even being warned about it.  At least here you would know you are being sued!! 

I just wonder when we, as a society, are going to return to being sensible and accepting responsibility for our own actions and stop blaming others for everything.  These accident "no win no fee" legal companies don't help and encourage the blame game.

Regards

John Russell
Bromsgrove Models
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
John,
Actually you can't be (sued as you said).
Also the "no win, no fee" has fallen off tremendously because individual 'States have taken action against it. The situation has changed a lot over the past year or two. Unfortunately this had spread to England and Europe instead!

The reason I mentioned the snow situation in London is this example from my town in New Jersey:

You have to clear your sidewalk in front of your house or business within 6 hours after cessation of snow - when cleared it should be totally cleared of ice too.
Failure to do so means that you can be fined on a daily basis until such time as it is cleared.
If you do this then the local government will indemnify you against any accident claims.

Pretty sensible I think. In the last big snowfall my little road was plowed not once but four times - this together with people being responsible for their own stretch of sidewalk means that we can get around almost immediately even after a 30" snowfall (which happened on Christmas Sunday last).

Anyway I'm sure we will able to do business soon, I've heard nothing but great things about your store, even 4,000 miles away!

All the best, Pete.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=473]trisonic[/user] wrote:
You have to clear your sidewalk in front of your house or business within 6 hours after cessation of snow - when cleared it should be totally cleared of ice too.
Failure to do so means that you can be fined on a daily basis until such time as it is cleared.
If you do this then the local government will indemnify you against any accident claims.

Pretty sensible I think. In the last big snowfall my little road was plowed not once but four times - this together with people being responsible for their own stretch of sidewalk means that we can get around almost immediately even after a 30" snowfall (which happened on Christmas Sunday last).

Anyway I'm sure we will able to do business soon, I've heard nothing but great things about your store, even 4,000 miles away!

All the best, Pete.
That's the most sensible idea  I have ever heard of with regard to sidewalks. They could use that in the UK.

Posted
Rating:
I have to agree with John (Broms Models) regarding insurance in the States.

When I was involved with fireworks in a former life, we carried hefty (and expensive) public liability insurance that covered us to work in every country on the globe - the Middle East, Africa, Eastern Europe (as it was then), Russia, Northern Ireland - you name it, we were covered to work there with explosives - with one specified strict exception  - the US of A.  The reason given ?   Their astronomic damage awards and the ease with which we could be sued by any Tom, Dick or Harry who saw an oportunity to claim we'd maimed him.  We could shoot him if he came too close, but if we burnt his fingers with a sparkler we could be hung out to dry !!!!

Whenever we did work in the States, we had to act as subbies for a US registered company (as long as they carried the appropriate National Debt level of liability insurance) and source all our material within the US.  As you can imagine, the chances of us making any margin with those restrictions were nil so I only ever worked there twice.  Canada ?  We went there almost every year but they covered the insurance.

By comparison, I took a 7 ton lorry load of explosives right into the heart of Belfast at the height of the troubles to celebrate the opening of the new Lagan bridge.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Ah, so that was you!!!!!

The Law of Natural Selection is involved here too. As more and more lawyers took on "No Win, No Pay" the suits became more marginal. Once a lawyer has lost two or three cases in a row he starts changing his mind………..

Best, Pete.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:

By comparison, I took a 7 ton lorry load of explosives right into the heart of Belfast at the height of the troubles to celebrate the opening of the new Lagan bridge.

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Posted
Rating:
How many "former lives" does this man have?

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
There's no doubt our Peter has led an interesting life.

Posted
Rating:
I think it's rather that life has led me Bob - why else would I have changed direction so often ?…………:roll::roll:  It's certainly been an interesting life if not particularly profitable !!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I placed an order with Bromsgrove Models via the internet on Tuesday morning, 12th April 2011. The goods were delivered at 9:15am the following morning! :shock:

Incredibly fast and efficient. Excellent communication. Goods very well packed. I can't fault this service at all.

Well done to all at Bromsgrove Models. I will certainly be dealing with you again.

Perry

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
In the last couple of weeks I have ordered twice from Bromsgrove Models and on both occasions delivery has been next day.

You cannot fault service like that.

Richard. A sorely missed member who lost a brave battle in 2012.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Well everything I order now takes about 3 to 4 weeks:hmm used to take about 10 days awhile ago… PS: not Bromsgrove models.

Funny thing is, I ordered some Decoders from Hattons and a week later I ordered for a mate some Airfix kits.

The Kits arrived last week and I got the decoders yesterday:hmm… Funny, the kits were in a big box and the decoders was in a packet:hmm

10 days for the kits, 3 weeks for the decoders!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Well I'm sorry Bromsgrove won't deal with Canada because most of us would use them also…and I  feel a bit miffed that we are lumped in with the US because Canadians are not anywhere as litigious as the Americans…and our courts won't allow frivolous lawsuits…its actually pretty hard to sue in Canada.

The other thing is that most of the UK outline modellers HAVE to order from the UK since UK items are thin on the ground here…especially things like sound-chips.
My small club in Montreal with about 8 members probably spent about $5-7K in sound chips alone last year…throw in the Ontario modellers and you probably doubled or even tripled that amount just on sound-chips…and Bromsgrove got none of that.
Throw in locos, rolling-stock, Slaters plastic, Ratio etc and all the other bits and bobs and your missing out on a  very good chunk of dosh.

On the other hand Howes,Hattons, Mainly Trains aren't too upset by Bromsgroves decision.

Posted
Rating:
Good Point…….and you can add DCC Supplies, Gaugemaster, Kernow Models,Metcalfe and Langley Models to the list of UK suppliers who ship to Canada.

I have never quite understood John's (Bromsgrove Models) approach. He clearly has a great reputation, his site is extremely useful………………….I would love to buy from him…………great shame:sad::sad:

Regards from Vancouver

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
John

If there is anything you want in particular from Bromsgrove or any other suppliers in our area  just let me know .  I am more than happy to get it for you and send it off while I am still able to do so . It might not be at the speed of light but you will at least know ou will get it at some point.

Richard. A sorely missed member who lost a brave battle in 2012.

Posted
Rating:
Thats very kind of you Richard…….I may well take you up on that when John gets a new shipment of DCC Concepts decoders which I am waiting patiently to be released

I will PM you when I have rechecked his site

Many thanks again

Best wishes

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
[user=434]John Dew[/user] wrote:
I have never quite understood John's (Bromsgrove Models) approach.
I thought I'd explained this in post 18.  Sales would have to justify the extortionate increase in insurance costs and I didn't feel that sales would achieve the level necessary.  I'm not sure how other retailers fare with insurance costs when trading with North America - maybe they don't get asked the question of where they trade!!!!!

Mind you, all that's academic now as I'm trying to wind down the business…………

Regards

John Russell
Bromsgrove Models

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I'm not sure how other retailers fare with insurance costs when trading with North America

John, Canada isn't America and by my reading you are letting a golden goose fly out the window… I should check again as you're losing good money.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Why...he just said he is winding down the business...which is sad.

Posted
Rating:
I agree it is sad.............I will miss your site John even though I cant buy from it..........I hope all goes well with the wind down..............I assume you are retiring in which case may it be long and happy:thumbs

John
Granby III
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.