Maxmill Electric Tramway

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member

So does this mean Leeds will aquire its own Underground System ? :lol:

Anyway I am glad the layout  has found a new home - will you be keeping the "Mind the Doors" or translating into French.

Incidentally have solved the problem of which type of tram track to use . That is to pick a prototype like the Kinver Light Railway which ran from Stourbridge to Kinver in Staffordshire with the route roughly in three sections . One third normal street tramway with rails embedded in the road , one third on the grass verge and the remainder cross country on standard railway track . So whichever type of track you have you pick the appropriate section to model .

It was ideal for  intensive service as trams from all over the Black Country  and even Birmingham provided through excursions to Kinver as well as the lines own trams carrying upto 14000 passengers a day which meant that the trams often had to run in uncoupled pairs just to get the quantity of vehicles along the line that wished to use it.

Watch this space !!! 

Richard. A sorely missed member who lost a brave battle in 2012.

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sorry for the late reply Richard - I've been "otherwise occupied" since I got back from UK.

Leeds will indeed have a new underground system.  Strange as it may seem, it's loosely based on the smaller system in London and no, it will remain a "tube" rather than a "metro" so no language lessons are required for the sound chip. :roll::roll::roll:

I did manage to re-assemble Chocolate Pudding Lane and give it a test run to explain why SWMBO can't buy any meat for the next 3 months ……….

There are one or two problems and some very slight transport damage - no doubt due to the rough seas between the Humber and Zeebrugge (it was blowing a force minus 2 :lol::lol::lol::lol:)…………………………..:hmm  Isn't that what people claim nowadays so they can sue someone ?

I am about to enquire of the previous landowner but I suspect there's been some "ground heave" during the move (London's boulder clay is well known for it).

It runs well with the first two cars but, try as I might, I can't keep the 3rd and 4th cars on the rails.  I suspect that, having nothing inside them other than what EFE put in there when they were produced, they're rather light and something must be kicking a bogie off at some point.  Maybe the outer "power" rail on the station approach is to blame - it does seem slightly higher on the platform section than on the run in.

Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy to be eating dry bread until Christmas.

I'll try to take some photos this week - my kids go home tomorrow so I'll need something to cheer me up …….. 

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member

That is a pity about the sound chip I was looking forward to hearing something to the effect of "Fermez Les Portes" in a Yorkshire Dialect     :lol:.

Posted
Rating:
I thought you might like to see some more photos of Geoff R's wonderful "Chocolate Pudding Lane" tube module now that I seem to have sorted out the derailing problem.  A combination of "express running" and a rogue track pin hitting the side of a bogie - at least I hope that's all !!  It now runs without derailing although I do have some tweaking to do to the timings ………………..

Another PM to the builder and former owner may be required.

I've also taken a short vid which I'll post once I find out how to upload vids (:roll:) - just to remind you of the "Mind the Doors" for those who were nearly driven insane by it last September !!

However, here's the photos to start with -

First, the above ground station building and busy road:

The crowded platform:

"Ave yer got the price of a cuppa love ?" :

The train arrives (unfortunately, some careless giant has knocked the destination board off the ceiling narrowly missing the mini-skirted girl :oops:):

Bang on time:

Sorry about the small depth of field - I should have used a tripod and manual exposure !!!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
A fine acquisition, Peter.  :thumbs   Email me if you get stuck uploading the vids.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for posting the pictures Peter……looking forward to the video

I imagine you can screw the destination board back:lol:

Once again congratulations on your acquisition…………so glad the module went to a good home

Kind Regards

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
I'm just going away for a short holiday while my 33 second video uploads into You Tube - there's only around 103 minutes left and it seems to have been going since yesterday already !!! :twisted::twisted::twisted:

How long do these darned videos take to upload …………………? !!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
OK - let's try this -

After 2 years, 7 months 3 weeks, 2 days and 28 hours, I've finally uploaded the vid onto You Tube. :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

hope I can post it here ……………

Agh - that's just a link !!  I'll see if it works - don't go away ………………………:roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Well it does take you there but believe me, it will be some time before I upload another vid.  It takes a crazy amount of time from here - in excess of 2 hours for those 40 odd seconds. :???::???:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Awesome......well worth the wait................you may well have another career path:mutley

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Great to see Chocolate Pudding Lane again,and to hear once more…"Mind The Doors" that drove us all crackers at the show!:lol:
  Its good that the layout has found a good home with an appreciative new owner.Nice one,Peter!:thumbs

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Is this what you were after, Peter?

Avant d'accéder à YouTube

Posted
Rating:
[user=373]Wheeltapper[/user] wrote: 
…………………………………………………………………….

Incidentally have solved the problem of which type of tram track to use ………………………………………. One third normal street tramway with rails embedded in the road , ………………………………………………..
Sorry Richard - I meant to question this but forgot ………..:oops::oops:

There's the rub - "normal street tramway" - which track are you using to embed in the road ?

I may be too pedantic but, having seen Peco rails used as tram track, at "OO" gauge it looks a bit like that - "railway track".

Creating that grooved girder profile is, to me,  the big problem.  There are quite a few possibilities but none look spot on when buried in tarmac or stone setts to my eye. Fine elsewhere but lacking "something" once you put it in a road surface.  That's why I looked at the two offerings from the States - "Electric Avenue" and the "Orr Track" system.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
Is this what you were after, Peter?

Yes Sir - 'tiz :doublethumb

How did you do that ? :hmm

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
That,s a really good vid Peter.

Can you post some more ?

John.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I'll email you the destructions, Peter.

Posted
Rating:
Many thanks Max and John - NO !!!!!! :mutley:mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Peter,just a thought ,have you looked at slot car track? it might just be the thing for your tram system,

:thumbs:lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
[user=373]Wheeltapper[/user] wrote: 
…………………………………………………………………….

Incidentally have solved the problem of which type of tram track to use ………………………………………. One third normal street tramway with rails embedded in the road , ………………………………………………..
Sorry Richard - I meant to question this but forgot ………..:oops::oops:

There's the rub - "normal street tramway" - which track are you using to embed in the road ?

I may be too pedantic but, having seen Peco rails used as tram track, at "OO" gauge it looks a bit like that - "railway track".

Creating that grooved girder profile is, to me,  the big problem.  There are quite a few possibilities but none look spot on when buried in tarmac or stone setts to my eye. Fine elsewhere but lacking "something" once you put it in a road surface.  That's why I looked at the two offerings from the States - "Electric Avenue" and the "Orr Track" system.

Ah - caught out . What I meant was I have solved the problem by picking the section that had normal railway track ( in this case Stourton to Kinver ) on which to base the model. So normal model railway track will be correct as far as following prototype is concerned.

Change of subject - just watched the video . Apart from wondering if the train driver is an ex RN Aircraft Carrier  Catapult Operator - its very good . Did you have to get a special export permit to take that bit of our heritage out the country ? At least the other train from there is safely tucked up here in retirement and will not be following its compatriot into exile. !!!!!!!!!

Posted
Rating:
I did say I still have a few things to tweak ………………..:roll::roll:

I've yet to master the electronic controls regarding braking/acceleration and Max/Min speed but don't knock it Richard - this is supposed to be Leeds afterall.:cheers

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.