00 Gauge - Maxmill Junction

Posted
Rating:

Petermac's Railway

phill said

He has to make a stand. Tut giving him a list whilst she is away on holiday or what ever. Thats not fair, railway week for Pete, not a list. Tell her mate, woman get away with far too much :D  :D . Got to go the wife is calling me  to do the washing up :oops:  :D  :D
Phill

Now I laughed at that one !!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Oh Phill - how are the mighty fallen !!!!    They get us all in the end don't they ? :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Petermac

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Les said

Oh boy - I reckon I could sell tickets for this one  :lol:  :lol:

Les

Les, believe you me, it would be a walk-over mate…………….for her  :?  :?

I'm a real chicken at heart and boy, does she know it - hence the list.  I'll have to hide the railway stuff away, cut down a few trees, bruise a few ribs and break a few windows just to show I've done some work……………although I do rather like Bryan W's "high winds" theory  :roll:  :roll: .    Better get back to wiring up the mains switch in the garage and moving the internet socket !!!!  :lol:  :lol:

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Oh and Phill - I forgot to ask - what's "washing up" ?  I've checked and it's not on the list.

Also, can someone help  - the list says "eat salad in fridge".  Not only am I too big, it's also too bl…y cold in there !!  :lol:  :lol:

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Paper cups and plates, Petermac - that's the answer :!:  :wink:

Posted
Rating:
rjr
Guest user
Some nice progree pics, The sweeping curves are a real winner

John
RJR
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks John.

Not much progress of late - been doing a bit of wiring - got 2 boards done and tested but the main "station" board is awaiting deliveries from England so I can wire up the isolated sections (for DC operation) and the point circuits for the motors.

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I notice it's almost 9 months since anything was added here :oops::oops::oops:!!!  Such is the extreme pressure we Mod's have to bear !!!!!

Anyway, this week I managed to squeeze in a day modelling - weathered a wagon, built a scarecrow and part built an extension to one of the "track" boards for the layout.

The idea is that these narrow boards (45cms deep) will run along the back of the "track" boards and will have the town built on them.  Once built, I won't need access so the extra depth won't matter.

On the original plan, there wouldn't be enough room to have more than low relief buildings behind the tracks and I wanted to build the odd street scene having been impressed with what others have done.

This first board will have a street climbing slightly from the station area and carrying the edge of the town before leading off into open countryside.

These photos show the construction method and what the back row of shops/houses might look like.  The level part of the cross brace formers will carry the street - there will be the low relief buildings alnog the back, the roadway and then, on the edge of the level bit, full relief houses.  The embankment then drops fairly steeply onto the retaining wall above the tracks.

The ply that the houses are sitting on at present is just a scrap piece to put them on - it isn't a premanent fixture !!!!!!  The actual street width (including houses) will run to where the formers fall away - it's 30cms.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Petermac

I have just read your thread from start to finish as I had trouble seeing the pics on my little laptop when i was away, and it is great to see the layout growing. I like your woodwork - looks very professional and it is good to see the beginings of the scenery. keep it coming.

Bob(K)

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
It's looking really good Peter - soon have the embankment in place and excellent woodwork.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
If you have no name for it yet how about "peterworth magna"?

reg

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I like the sound of that Reg.

Posted
Rating:
I see it's 6 months since I added anything to this thread :shock::shock::shock:  Such is my hectic life !!

Today - as it's Sunday and Pentecost (the French are Catholics, not me),  I'm not working  (at least not elsewhere) so, having completed a couple of jobs for SHMBO, I decided to move those baseboards I had, up into the attic from the garage where they've laid almost forgotten for those 6 months.

It's not that I'm ready to move up there, it's just that I need to create space in the garage so that I can get machinery in and out more easily.

The first thing I noticed is that wood gets heavier as it ages!!! (:cheers:cheers)   At 5ft x 2ft6ins, they're far too heavy and awkward to shunt around.  I'll have to reduce the size and weight of future boards considerably.  I thought about using ply for the framing rather than softwood and a 10mm chipboard trackbed will also have to be re-thought.

The 2nd thing is that a couple of the joints don't match accurately enough for rolling stock to negotiate the join.  That's obvoiusly down to my careless handling of the boards whilst they were in the garage or inaccurate drilling of bolt holes.  I'm not really too worried because I'd already decided to correct some of the bits I didn't like - too tight curves etc. - so I can use this opportunity to re-lay the offending trackwork, but I'll have to be more careful in future.

Next, I've got some 25kg bags of fine gravel (used for swimming pool filters) so I'm going to see if it looks OK as track ballast.  It's the wrong colour but that's not a problem.  When I've tried it out on my "test" track, I'll post some piccies and solicit your opinions.

Finally - how does the name "MAXMILL TOWN JUNCTION" sound to you?  Could also be "MAXMILTON JUNCTION" or something similar.  It will be a junction, it will have a mill (for what I'm not sure yet),  it will be my layout and it seems to roll off the tongue quite reasonably !!

All in all, a useful excercise as it's pointed out some potential problem areas before I've got too far down the road.

Back to the grindstone now Petermac - you've had a long enough break (either that or change religion !!!)  :cry::cry::cry:

Last edit: by Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Look forward to the pics Peter sounds like it wont be long before your up and running as well.

How about Plonkmill, plonk as in wine and mill as in a working mill, :oops:. No ok yours sound better.

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I had forgotten you even had a layout! :twisted:  I like the name though
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Layout builder :hmm:hmm:hmm:hmm:hmm

I thought you just made high quality wagons, is there no end to this mans skills :roll:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=285]Alan[/user] wrote:

I thought you just made high quality wagons, is there no end to this mans skills :roll:

Dont forget wine connoisseur as well :thumbs and someone who is expert in asking the not so normal questions :pedal

Phill

Posted
Rating:

Flattery Alan, will get you eveywhere !!!! :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Still haven't painted the wagons, built the layout, started my module, fitted a decoder, wired up any lighting, dug the garden, etc.etc……………………………it's all on the list of "Urgent to do's" !!! I might just go and open a bottle of Bordeaux Superior whilst I schedule it all  :cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers

Last edit: by Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:

Flattery Alan, will get you eveywhere !!!! :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Still haven't painted the wagons, built the layout, started my module, fitted a decoder, wired up any lighting, dug the garden, etc.etc……………………………it's all on the list of "Urgent to do's" !!! I might just go and open a bottle of Bordeaux Superior   :cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers

I'm on my way, I'll bring my own glass :pedal:pedal:pedal

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Petermac,
             I sypathise with your struggling with baseboard joins.I've just spent the afternoon wrestling with the joins on 2 baseboards on Perranporth!!! Not my idea of fun
             Regarding a name for your station….how about Milltown Junction??? It rolls off the tongue a bit easier.Or do you want the Mac/Max bit leaving in?

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
How about  MILLMAX JUNCTION

cheers Brian
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.