00 Gauge - Maxmill Junction

Posted
Rating:

Petermac's Railway

Jeff - thanks for the encouragement regarding the dowels.  The red dog ones are the ones I'm after - just wouldn't dare tackle Perry's type  :?  :?  - unfortunately, they seem to have ceased advertising in RM for now and I couldn't remember their name - thanks for saving me looking it up elsewhere :D .   I've got all the back issues from last year so will try to dig out their advert.

Thanks for the compliments Tim - always very, very welcome with me !!!!

More to follow soon but got to do a couple of swimming pool repair jobs this week - weather permitting.  Might have to wait until shhhhhh! - you know who is in Australia.

Petermac

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Over the last few days, whilst the weather has been so foul, I hid in the garage with my tool box playing trains.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

The second board has track down and leads just onto the third board.  You may recall I'm building it in modular form until the permanant home is ready so I have to make joints at each end of each board to re-connect later.

The 2nd & 3rd boards (to the right of the station throat) incorporate gradients to get the single line branch up over the doubled main lines.  The gradients are approx. 1 in 45 - both up and down so I can get cvlearance in half the linear distance.  The first 30 cms or so had a 1 in 90 "transition" gradient.  The first board is 5ft long and the 2nd only 4ft at the end of which, I've turned through 90 deg. to lead around the corner.

Here's some photos of the gradients:

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
At the board joints, I've soldered the rails to brass screws to strengthen the joint.

Sorry about the apparent "spottiness" of the photo - don't know what happened - I think it's maybe filings from cutting through the track after it was soldered up.

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
After cutting the joints, I ran a coach over the joint to make sure it was a smooth crossing - apparently no problems there !!!

You can also make out the branch above the coach climbing as the mains fall - clearance at this point but took it up/down another 10mm just to make certain !!

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
The 2 boards showing the lines diverging as the mains drop and the branch climbs away on the left.  The mains will eventually be underneath the branch and lead to the "low level" fiddle at the back of the layout.  The branch line will be the "scenic" line with maybe a coutry halt before it enters the "high level" dead-end sidings allowing me to have a "valley" section on the other side of the layout - maybe with a viaduct or Brian's Padstow girder bridge- I LOVE bridges/viaducts !!!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
This is the silver lining to the bad weather cloud then Petermac. :wink:  That's looking really good and will certainly allow a lot of great scenery.

Posted
Rating:
Petermac

Impressive woodwork and nice sweeping curves.  Great to see your layout taking shape.

Bob(K)

Posted
Rating:
That's right Bob - every cloud has a train shed under it !!!  :lol:  :lol:

I'm doubly fortunate in that "the Boss" is in Australia although when I glance at the "list" she's left me to do, if I carry on like this, I can see me living in the garage for keeps………………………..now, there's a thought !!!  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Looks great Peter, really looking forward to seeing this one grow, good luck with ballasting it all :shock:  :lol:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Good work, Petermac.  It's lovely and serpentine and will look terrific with scenery.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Peter-really looking forward to seeing your layout develop,looks like it will be a good one :D
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Petermac

I have heard there are extremely high winds in france at the moment the worst on record Your house has survived fine but the only unfortunate casualty was the list you wife left it got blown away in the storm. and you cant remember what was written on it.
Its a shame because you gonna have to stay in the garage now and work on the layout. :D  :D  :D
cheers Brian.W
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Petermac said

I can see me living in the garage for keeps………………………..now, there's a thought !!!  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Great progress on the layout Petermac, and I certainly understand that thought, but do you have an internet connection in the garage? :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Wayne :lol:

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
If and when you have to live in the garge, just one thought. Where is the main's for the electric, if it's in the garge your ok but if its in the house afraid she will off won mate. So if its in the house, then get it put into the garge  :wink:
Phill

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Well if ever I need a marriage guidance counsellor it won't be Phill. :shock:

Great progress Petermac - love the curves. :D

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:

Les said

Well if ever I need a marriage guidance counsellor it won't be Phill. :shock: ………….

Les

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
He has to make a stand. Tut giving him a list whilst she is away on holiday or what ever. Thats not fair, railway week for Pete, not a list. Tell her mate, woman get away with far too much :D  :D . Got to go the wife is calling me  to do the washing up :oops:  :D  :D
Phill

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Guys for all your kind comments - very much appreciated - they help me to keep fired up.  It can be a little lonely beavering away on your "tod" in a garage with the wind howling and rain blashing down outside - particularly when I have to make my own coffee whilst the "Boss" relaxes in the sun in Oz. !!!

Wayne & Phill, I've checked out the interent possibilities and mains switch in the garage - neither exist at present but both are possible - just in case !!!!!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Thats it mate, u get cracking putting the mains in there. You need a matress and quilt, fridge for the beer and your ok.  :D . Then when she come home you say, right i am off for a week, here is a LIST and i see you later bye. Sneak into the garge  :wink: , layout be done and dusted in a week, sorted.  :D  :D  :D
Phill

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Oh boy - I reckon I could sell tickets for this one  :lol:  :lol:

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.