4 Bogaduck Road, STIRLING

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

A look around.

Thanks, Pete.  That wasn't the answer I expected, given the distance between Adelaide and Melbourne.  I'm guessing there might be some on the other rail as well, some distance away.

The squealing is a major public issue here; and the subject of an enquiry.  The track runs through many kilometres of leafy suburbs before it clears the settled area and not every home owner is a train buff.

I can hear the squealing in the background from where I live, but it's not too bad.  The NRs make quite a racket as well.  In a 24 hour period we probably have 20 trains, and they run through the night.  The freights are 50 to 60 wagons behind three or four NRs, and they usually take a couple of minutes to pass.

Where I live the track is on a gradient, so they can take longer to pass us.  Going up the NRs are really working, going down they are a lot quieter, but the wagons' wheels squeal going both ways, as the trains have to travel slowly downhill.  Folklore says that the number of greasers has been reduced to save the maintenance costs.

Having said that, it just occurred to me that perhaps they could make a saving by putting the greasers together on opposite sides of the track.  quest:
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Greasers are typically only placed on the "outside" rail around a curve of the track where wheels would be pressing hard against the rail.

Wheel squeal is an issue in many areas but on the twisting and steeply-graded line from Adelaide up into the hills it would be a real nuisance.  At one point that line actually doubles back on itself!

Greasers go some way to easing the problem.  Good wagon maintenance is another factor.  Canting the track can assist but on a tightly-curved route there is a limit to what can be done.  Those of us familiar with the Devon banks between Plymouth and Newton Abbot will know that trains often squeal around the steep twisting curves there as well.

So long as we run steel on steel there will be some associated noise as trains rely on friction in order to get a grip and move at all.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
They could always use traction tyres :mutley

Great photos Max - it reminds me of the kind of weather we used to have here …………………………:roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Peter.  I was out on the job and I just snapped them.  It seemed like a good idea at the time.  :pedal

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
[user=95]Sol[/user] wrote:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
. . . and?  Don't keep us in suspenders, Sol.  :shock:

The train controller could still be at work & Bob B is not one for visiting e-mails, etc like we do.

When I find out, so will you a bit later than that.

Patience is a virtue so I am told :mutley and I am very virtuous exclam:

Bob B thought they looked like battery boxes but in his day, SAR - they were white.

Still waiting on the train controller to respond.

You could always post a photo & question on the SA rail forum .
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I reckon it's a battery box, Sol.  :cool:

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Rick is correct, they only have them on the outside rail.  There does not look to be much of a curve there though but it is surprising how little you need for the flanges to start screeching!
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.