4 Bogaduck Road, STIRLING

Posted
Rating:
#108466 (In Topic #5707)
Inactive Member

A look around.

4 Bogaduck Road, STIRLING, South Australia is in a suburb of Adelaide about a half hour drive from the CBD.  This is a typical visit to a street which runs along the main railway line between Adelaide and Melbourne.  Many passenger and freight trains use this line each day.  These shots could have been taken in hundreds of other locations along the line.  Enjoy.

Fences?  Wot fences?
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
You had me going for a bit there Max when I saw Stirling come up, I though oooh I was born there, and given that the prefix 'bog' is quite common up here, imagine my surprise when I actually opened the thread :roll:

Your Stirling looks much warmer :sad:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
It's a bit warmer at the minute, Lawrence.  It's up in the hills behind us and it gets pretty cold come winter.  :shock:

Posted
Rating:
Impressive shot with your head on the line, Max.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:mutley

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
nice shot`s Max, that rail is really clean , no probs with dcc there then ….

:mutley:lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Max

Some great photos you have taken there thanks for sharing them

In the third phot the round container at the side of the track is that the engine drivers dunny stop place or something?

Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:mutley  Thanks Owen.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I'm sure Rick will put us right, Brian, but I think it's a battery box.  The thing lying on the ground looks like a greaser to stop flange squeal.  I dunno if the greaser runs off batteries or not.  It might be to power a sensor.  Rick . . . HELP! 

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
It's definitely not a toilet (or dunny) drop!

It is padlocked and it has a plug-in power line leading down from the top of it.  The top appears to be mesh rather than solid suggesting a need to dissipate heat or a requirement for air circulation.  The wire leads towards the roadway (and is visible in shots 3 and 4) and not towards the greaser which is, as most are, purely a mechanical device without an external power source.

I am also intrigued by the fact that the cable hangs vertically in shots 3 and 4 but is clearly at an angle in shot 5 as though it has been pulled from ground level towards the roadway.

I would suggest it might be a pump house for water given that there are tanks just behind it, or failing that might be a battery to power a road warning device such as a flashing light which is out of shot but would warn of an approaching train.  Of the two I would favour the pump housing.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Interesting.  Thanks, Rick.  The tanks belong to the house behind, so I wouldn't go for a pump.  It's hard to see in the photo, but the tanks are well inside the private property.  It looks like the battery boxes you see near level crossings, but what it powers isn't obvious. 

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
I have asked two locals - one a train Controller & one a previous trackside/ railway  bloke. You know one Max,  Bob B of local NMRA.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
. . . and?  Don't keep us in suspenders, Sol.  :shock:

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Nah

Its deffo a driver dunny drop the power to it is for the mincer to chop up the pooh:lol::lol::lol:

The mesh on top is to allow the stink to get out to stop build up of explosive gases

Brian

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:mutley

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
. . . and?  Don't keep us in suspenders, Sol.  :shock:

The train controller could still be at work & Bob B is not one for visiting e-mails, etc like we do.

When I find out, so will you a bit later than that.

Patience is a virtue so I am told :mutley and I am very virtuous exclam:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Great photos Max, thanks for sharing them with us :thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
The flange lubricator works by the wheel flange action in passing causing a small amount of grease to ooze out.  Not too much as if it gets on the wheel instead of the flange it tends to cause problems with stopping :roll:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, John.  Why is there only one, Chris?  I looked up and down the line nearby, but that was the only one I could see.

Posted
Rating:
It greases the other side coming back, Max.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.