Should I move over to N gauge?

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

Please help me decide

Fair enough guys, I'll leave Lima alone then. Thanks to Lawrence too, I can't fault the amount of help and advice I'm getting, thanks again all. I think I'm up to 89% sure of making the switch now :doublethumb
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
How about Minitrix? Is this any good?

So far I think only Lima has had the thumbs down so unless I hear differently I'll be looking at Dapol, GF, and Peco for rolling stock and Peco also for track. Do you N-gaugers agree?

Posted
Rating:
Trainfish,
            I've just cast an eye over your old layout thread and seen the space you'll have for n gauge! 15x15…….you could build Kings Cross in there if you wanted!! You go for it mate,and make sure you get a good price for your old OO stuff!
:doublethumb
Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
There are some lovely Overseas models but they don't fit into any British outline.

I think your choice of manufacturers is probably about right.
But I've not long started N myself.

Do some window shopping first - mistakes in N are expensive.

I've come to like the generic flexible track for continuity of power and just looking neater - cheap too.
Others may disagree.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
John, I think I could probably build all the seedy nightclubs in the area too, now there's a thought :twisted:

Ddolfelin, I'm guessing you mean rolling stock when you mention overseas models are you? After taking a trip up to Cheltenham Model Centre yesterday there also seems to be a LOT of good British outline stuff too.

After that little trip the decision was finally made (if it wasn't already made that is) to switch to N gauge. I am now the proud owner of a box of flexitrack, some fishplates and some Minitrix platforms so I can plan my station (it will be BIG). This is going to be a huge task overall but I'm looking forward to it. For the past year or so my OO layout has been at a standstill as I had been thinking of switching to N before and to be honest I think as I was in 2 minds the inclination to continue wasn't there. Now it will return!

Due to this all my OO stock will now be sold. I will at some point and over time list a lot of it in the for sale section but in the meantime if anyone sees anything on my layout thread which they may be interested in then feel free to send me a PM so we can open negotiations on price etc. There's not a huge amount of stock shown in my thread and some of it may even have already gone but it's always worth asking. Even if it's not shown I may have it so if anyone is after anything from the 'blue with yellow ends era' feel free to ask, I may well have it!
I think there are around 30 locos, 30 coaches, intermodals, Yeoman wagons, hundreds of road vehicles, people, buildings etc. A lot of scenic items are brand new and not removed from the packaging as I just didn't get around to using it. There's also a lot of track but most of it needs removing from the baseboard first. I will endeavour today to take some pictures of what I have, just general pictures really, and if you see an individual item(s) which you'd like a better picture of just ask and it will be done. It all has to go and funds will be used to finance the N project so please don't take the mickey with silly offers (I don't think people on here would do that though) as anything which doesn't have a sensible offer will go on ebay.

Anyway, enough from me, I've got some pictures to take. Many thanks again to all those who helped me make the decision to switch, I have no doubt that I won't regret it.

Posted
Rating:
Yes, I was speaking of rolling stock.
As I've mentioned before, whatever gauge, American and Continental stock seems to have more 'going on' and is cheaper than British Outline due, as Chris has told us, to a much higher production ratio.

… and looking forward to your stock pics.

Last edit: by ddolfelin

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Brings back memories of changing scale myself. Back then like you I was frustrated with not being able to run full length trains on any of my 00 layouts. My only regret now was traiding in my 00 gauge stock for N at my local model shop as now the 00 stuff I had is worth a few quid. My first layout was an N gauge version of Kidsgrove that mesures 9' x 2'6". After moving the lavout between three house moves it was finaly replaced with a version of Manchester Piccadilly that I got board with but this was scrapped after my brother left home and I got the room to myself! This lead to the building of a 4 track mainline round the 12'x11' room.  I now model in both N and 00 although my N gauge layout realy needs a lot of TLC to get it opperational again. The only real difference I find is that dirty track is more of a problem in N than 00. ;-) 
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Yes, I can imagine the track needs to be kept extra clean as there's less contact with the track. I have been using the Dapol track cleaner on my layout and it has worked well so I'll be looking for a similar model in N. Unless anyone knows of an even better cleaner………………

Posted
Rating:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I haven't bought a head magnifier yet as when I mentioned it to the missus yesterday she told me my head was big enough as it was, I have no idea what she meant by that. I have looked around for one but am unsure as to which one to go for at the moment. What about all the other N gaugers out there, which type would you recommend?

I bought Peco code 80 SL300 yesterday. I considered the code 55 but went for 80 for various reasons after talking to someone in the shop who has used both. It looks ok to me anyway. I also looked at using the stone ballast underlay but at £20 for 5 metres it would cost an arm and a leg for this layout, especially as that works out at twice the price of the track itself. I'm sure it will be very therapeutic to ballast by hand anyway. Has anyone used one of these?

Last edit: by Trainfish

Posted
Rating:
At last you got to the 100% mark :thumbs:lol: I agree on the stone ballast underlay for the size of layout you,d need to take out a mortage exclam:thats why I decided to do a small layout first ,looking forward to the start of your layout :thumbs

Brian(G)

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
You could always use that stone effect spray paint might work better in N ? ;-)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I've never heard of stone effect spray paint Dave, is it in the index?

Yes Brian, it didn't take too long to get to 100% though did it? In fact within 30 seconds of entering the shop yesterday I reached 100%. The start will be a little delayed as I have to remove the OO first. Plus the fact I need to find a job before it means I have to sell the house due to finances!

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Plus the fact I need to find a job before it means I have to sell the house due to finances!

Know that feeling ! Im reluctent to do any more work on my garden railway untill we know about my wifes job situation. :roll:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Yep I know that feeling aswell my wife is out of work and I only work part time , you can buy the stone effect spray paint at B&Q but it,s nearly £6 a tin .

Brian(G)

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
And is it any good for ballasting?

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
John Teal aka RJR used it on his outdoor layout. ;-)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Trainfish,
            I personally wouldn't recommend it (spraypaint)for use with N gauge track.If I were you,starting out now,given the track you've already chosen,then I'd EITHER, A)Use Peco or Gaugemaster foam underlay,or B)the finest ballast of whatever colour you prefer,very carefully applied ESPECIALLY around the points!!

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

PS.Not tried that ballasting box thingy,but the spread on that looks a little too wide to my eyes.(however,I suppose you could make the opening smaller…..)

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks John, I have been thinking about loose ballast actually. I only want it for effect not noise reduction etc. My whole baseboard is covered in cork anyway which helped with noise reduction on OO gauge, I shouldn't think there will be so much noise from N gauge though will there? If I used foam underlay my concern would be keeping the track level all the way round with it being soft. This concern is maybe not valid but if I use loose ballast then I would guess it will be ok. I've taken note of your mention of ballasting around points and will of course be very careful in those places. My plan will be to make up a temporary push button box to operate the point motor regularly each way during ballasting to ensure it keeps working. Still ballasting is a few months away yet so I won't worry too much!

I may give the ballasting box thingy a go and I agree with you, it does look a little wide. Saying that, it's probably not difficult to make one up myself rather than paying over £12 including postage for what is essentially a plastic box with a few holes in it.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Trainfish,Bob made one on here a while back,try the index, or hope the boss reads this and posts again
:thumbs:lol::cool:
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.