DAPOL 00 wagon conversion

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Today, the new snap-together Kadee box #252 arrived,

fitted in the Whisker coupler #148 as per the right hand side drawing

http://kadee.com/htmbord/page148.htm

all clicks together first class & mounted to the base of the open wagon & lines up perfectly with Kadee height gauge.

I am very happy with them.

The box measures 9.35mm, the standard #5 box is 11.7mm with the new click box #242 being 10.83mm.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Kadee advised me this morning of another snap-together box

We have added another box to our whisker line of couplers and it's the #262 it's a low profile narrow box.http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page262.htm
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That should be a big improvement, Sol.  :thumbs
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Other than what we see on the picture Sol, what exactly is a "Whisker" coupler ?  What does the registered word "Whisker" signify ?

Also, do you order yours direct from the States or from a local supplier ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Kadee give us modellers a lot of choice . Got a pair of their bogies as well, even cheaper than Steam Era & non-magnetic to boot.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Peter, the whiskers replace the bronze spring box inside the coupler box.  I changed my RR&Co rolling stock over to them and there was an immediate improvement.  You can see the whiskers protruding forward from the back of the coupler arm.  They press against the sides of the box and return the arm to the centre position when it's released.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Kadee developed their "whisker" coupling as a option because McHenry/EZYmate use that principle

you can see the whiskers ( metal) on the side.

Me - I purchase bulk lots direct from Kadee but odd packets locolly in Aust.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Sol - I hadn't noticed the "whiskers" on the packet.  Your shot makes them much clearer.

Along with track building, this is something I've got to try out.  Having seen them in action on a shunting layout, they are both very clever and far less obtrusive than T/L's.

I wonder why UK RTR has stuck with the T/L's all this time.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
I wonder why UK RTR has stuck with the T/L's all this time.

The aversion of many living in the UK  ** to have anything to with objects not created by the people of the UK - take DCC for example, UK is basically the last modelling country to take it up.

I think a large majority of UK model train users also have the philosophy, if it is good enough for Tri-ang/Hornby, it is good enough for me.

I have even read on other UK model forums, a question, "Why do we have all these different scales, is not one good enough?"

Re couplings, while USA modelling has not officially adopted the Kadee style for a standard, at least the USA modeling scene via the NMRA, set standards for coupler boxes & I think 99% of manufacturers followed that.

In the UK, it has only been in the last 4-5 years after DOGO set Standards for NEM boxes based on the Europeans modelling standards, that  the UK models are now slowly getting a box height standard. And that also ruffled a few UK feathers in having European standards "forced" upon us.

** we even have UK ex-pats now living here that also have nothing to do with USA modeling in any manner - Max even found that out at a BRMA meeting locally.

Now back to breakfast. :roll:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sorry Max - totally missed the fact that the first reply was from you !!! :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:  I assumed it was fom Ron as he posted shortly after you did.  Am I forgiven ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
I will even if Max doesn't :pedal
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=95]Sol[/user] wrote:
Kadee developed their "whisker" coupling as a option because McHenry/EZYmate use that principle

you can see the whiskers ( metal) on the side.

I'm not ultra-versatile with all of Kadee offerings, as I'm still in the early stages of converting all my stock, so I've not come across these "whisker" couplings. On the face of it, the assembly method looks easier than the standard Kadee gearbox, as it looks like a simple two-part snap together - is this so?
The other question to ask is for some guidance on what whisker couplings to get in stock, I've obviously got the No 17 - 20s and also some useful No 5s. Apart from that all I have is a few of No 46 & No 58.

Any advice gratefully received. :thumbs:thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Jeff, yes the snap-together 242, 252 & now 262 are easy as . The 242 still takes the older style of coupler like #5, 46, etc. As far as Whisker versions. #148 is equal to #5.  #46 discontinued & replaced with whisker 146
http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/coupler.htm

I have a few under & overset couplers & some also in longer shanks. In fact I have  DMU to look at for my mate with the thoughts of fitting Kadees to it - the new cliup box 252 maybe ideal

#58 Scale head couplers - these do not like bumps in the track.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Sorry Peter, just got back from a house call.  Absolutely, my Son.  Go in peace.  :cool wink

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Sol:
OK, so armed with your explanation of the new whisker coupling, what are the recommendations for purchasing some stock (assuming UK outline late steam / mainly diesel??)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Jeff, re locos - the majority of the latest releases should take NEM types #19 or #20 - most will probably need a shim of thin styrene under the shank to stop the slight droop.
Goods wagons, again new Bachmann NEM #19 or 20. Non-NEM, remove the box, file any bumps off even the slight ones, & screw the coupler pocket on - #242 with #148 coupler. I will get a photo or two of the screws I use.
I would also have a pack of boxes 252 & 262  & at least one pack of couplers #146 & 147 because you never know.

I am led to believe that one UK shop that is the main agent for Kadee in the UK . MG Sharp? also has a sample kit set up for UK outl;ine but don't hold me to that.

As most of us who have converted UK outline, sometimnes it is trial & error but imn the mmain ,for godos stock, #5/ #148 will cover the majority.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
just one thing to add to Sol`s post ,Jeff if you have a fair bit of old stock,ie trucks carriages it
will be cheaper using Bachmann couplers, you can buy bulk packs about half the price of Kadee`s
the only difference is they are plastic not metal, but work just as well.
you still need kadee boxes though.

:thumbs:lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
A word of warning though re Bachmann EZYmate couplers, always try to obtain MK2 versions with the little coil spring on the knuckle like Kadee, they are very good  but the  MK1 has the little finger of plastic that can either stay deformed if left pressed open or under load such as dragging 15 wagons of around 2 oz each, they will pop open & leave your train behind. It happened Friday night here on the D&S with some hopper wagons I was given so they have to be replaced pronto.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Screws for anchoring Kadee boxes, this photo shows the two versions I use, the small one is a self-tapper & the long one, a genuine Kadee 2-56 x 1/2" & for these, tapping is required so I use the Kadee drill & tap set #246. I also use the tap drill from the set for the pilot hole for the self tapper screw

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thanks sol, at least I have a good idea of an adequate starter kit, to supplement my No 18 - 20s now. :thumbs:thumbs
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.