The Serif Learning Thread

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

or.....Matthew 15:14

OK, I wonder if we can cover something here that would be very useful in constructing a back-scene or a generic building.

Say we take a basic outline of a warehouse, factory or workshop and use other elements to change it to something more in keeping with our scene. Add a double door entrance, change some windows, add a tower chimney etc. etc.
If we could do that, we could make up something almost unique and highly suitable for our own layout.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=3]Gwent Rail[/user] wrote:
OK, I wonder if we can cover something here that would be very useful in constructing a back-scene or a generic building.

Say we take a basic outline of a warehouse, factory or workshop and use other elements to change it to something more in keeping with our scene. Add a double door entrance, change some windows, add a tower chimney etc. etc.
If we could do that, we could make up something almost unique and highly suitable for our own layout.

Now Les Jeff has got the idea, slowly slowly catch a monkeys b********s :mutley

Phill
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
My apologies for being late but I have been away from class with the flu…………somewhat recovered………

The homework is now all done…….no problems once I worked out I didnt have to go centimetres and then back to inches to accommodate my North American Printer……….1.323 " is the equivalent of 3.36cm!. Incidentally I dont know if it was mentioned in the tutorial but I found it very quick to use [Ctrl C] to copy and you can paste a new layer with [Ctrl L].

Apart from the fact I am getting close to needing a new cartridge in the printer the images look great.

Thank you so much for the tutorial Doug I can see this will be a really useful tool……in fact some images will shortly be on the canal module at Granby

I am looking forward to the next lesson

Regards 

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
[user=434]John Dew[/user] wrote: 
I can see this will be a really useful tool……in fact some images will shortly be on the canal module at Granby

Thanks, John, for that. Do you reckon we can recommend it to the rest of the forum as a 'Forum Standard'?

It would be up to each member to choose whether or not to buy the upgrade though, at least those a little 'shy' of 'pooter' image work to have a go because there will be plenty of us to lend a hand, and if we get stuck then I'm sure Martin Wynne would be willing to add his real expertise.

I'm next thinking of taking a slightly skew window and straightening it out and printing it out to make up a set of features for flat background pictures, as Jeff suggested.  Any thoughts?

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Thanks, John, for that. Do you reckon we can recommend it to the rest of the forum as a 'Forum Standard'?

I am no great authority on photo editing…….I use photo shop elements for the stuff I publish here and I know I am only scratching the surface.

Photoplus seems fairly intuitive and certainly easier to handle than others I have seen and the starter set is FREE……….with your tutorial and help from others…..I would go for it …… I would support your recommendation
I'm next thinking of taking a slightly skew window and straightening it out and printing it out to make up a set of features for flat background pictures, as Jeff suggested.  Any thoughts?
Thats a great idea even though I have just bought some Townscene sheets from Freestone :twisted::twisted:. It will be good to have the ability to add some originality to the backscenes and having read a number of the layout threads I think you will reach a relatively wide audience

Regards

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
I take it John, that the 'scale' of the buildings is not 1/76th, so would you be looking at adding larger stick-on buildings to the back-scenes, not necessarily at 1/76th?

I am going to do a review of an architectural book with model rail back-scene stuff in mind, there are hiuses of all types, sadly no commercial premises, but I did obtain permissions to reproduce them for 'Railway modelling purposes', if the article gets published I'm sure they'd let us use them publicly too.

All the illustrations are in 'N' scale, too.

A row of these semis would be a nice back ground feature, I thought?

This is the book

ISBN 189916367-0.

Just finkin'

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
[user=312]dooferdog[/user] wrote:
I take it John, that the 'scale' of the buildings is not 1/76th, so would you be looking at adding larger stick-on buildings to the back-scenes, not necessarily at 1/76th?

The layout is 1/76th so I had visualised that the larger buildings in the foreground of the background :roll: would be 1/76 but scaled down in the mid ground and even further in the background……which is broadly how townscene do it

A good example would be the Semis……..you would need smaller scale something to fill in the gaps between the roof lines to add depth

The book looks a useful source…….does it have house backs as well………they are always good (and hard to find) to put right next to the line

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
[user=434]John Dew[/user] wrote:
[user=312][/user]The book looks a useful source…….does it have house backs as well.……..they are always good (and hard to find) to put right next to the line
Sadly, no, John, only the fronts.

Doug

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.