The Serif Learning Thread

Posted
Rating:

or.....Matthew 15:14

Hi Les,

This is where I got the figure from

[a brick]……….. I am going to take as 3.25" high  including mortar, so  that makes each one 31 bricks or 100.75" " or  8.4ft and at 4mm/ft equals 33.6mm high. Remember this figure!  We don't  need to know the width because Serif will re-prportion the pictures  accordingly………..

Mine are 3.3 x 4.2 cm.

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Okey Dokey Doug, it's just that in your previous post you said 3.6 AND 3.36. I understand where you are coming from so I shall just go off line for a little while whilst I try again. Back shortly Mortley.:thumbs

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Right. Went back to basics and got the source photos again. Then fired up serif and brought them across. Diligently re-sized them with 3.36 in each height box after changing to centimeters (this gave a width of circa 4.48) and changed the quality from 200 to 300. Did the copying and pasting etc and then printed on equiv of photo paper with white background, at 300 dpi on 6 x 4 paper. I now have four beautiful little pcture each of which measures:

31 x 23 :thud:thud:thud:thud:thud:thud:thud

I'm going to lie down.

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Ok, done mine exclam:exclam:

Pretty good first go, my signs are 44mm x 33mm.

Here's a print out on ordinary paper as a test:-

So far, so good quest:quest:

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
That's good news, Jeff, well done, you are hereby appointed 'Teaching Assistant First and Foremost'. Now to see if I can find out why Les is printing in 'N' scale.

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
[user=18]Les[/user] wrote:
Right. Went back to basics and got the source photos again. Then fired up serif and brought them across. Diligently re-sized them with 3.36 in each height box after changing to centimeters (this gave a width of circa 4.48) and changed the quality from 200 to 300. Did the copying and pasting etc and then printed on equiv of photo paper with white background, at 300 dpi on 6 x 4 paper. I now have four beautiful little pcture each of which measures:

31 x 23 :thud:thud:thud:thud:thud:thud:thud

I'm going to lie down.

Les

I'm going back to find "each height box" as I thought there was only one….

Doug

Posted
Rating:
Further thought, check you are printing on 15cm x 10 cm paper and you have the fit to paper/stretch to fit/exact size set correctly.

Doug

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
I'll do it in the morning if you dont mind Doug cos I've had too many San Miguelds tonight to make any sense of it.

Buenos noches.

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:
No problem, Les,

Hasta mañana, duerme bien mi amigo.

Doug

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=312]dooferdog[/user] wrote:
Further thought, check you are printing on 15cm x 10 cm paper and you have the fit to paper/stretch to fit/exact size set correctly.

Doug

I'd have thought that the size of paper used was irrelevant as long as you had the size of each print / wall scaled correctly quest:

I used an ordinary A4 sheet for my test (as shown above) which is 21.2cm x 29.5cm and the only effect was in having extra blank paper on the sheet.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=9]phill[/user] wrote:
When i close the programe it save's them to a file i created and when i bring them back i have to resize each time for some reason but thats ok as i then know they are correct.

Phill

Phill, get your sheet of 4 signs, correctly sized, on the grey screen in Serif (as per Doug's instructions).
Next use the "file" drop down menu at the top left of your computer screen and from the list select "save" or "save as" and click. Follow through as normal for saving an item.

The image will then be saved to the folder you create in the correct size for re-printing.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
See i knew a fellpw student would advice me, aint this thread great, cheers Jeff :thumbs

Phill

Ps this is for our teacher

Last edit: by phill

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Congratulations guys on your successful trials…:thumbs

I'll have to catch up at a later date.  I've b*ggered my back up again stacking logs, so will be laid up for a few days…:sad:

Posted
Rating:
Well been sat in the class for yonks now and no one is here, very quiet in here

Supose i just wait then, :thud

Phill

Posted
Rating:
[user=3]Gwent Rail[/user] wrote:

Doug

I'd have thought that the size of paper used was irrelevant as long as you had the size of each print / wall scaled correctly quest:

I used an ordinary A4 sheet for my test (as shown above) which is 21.2cm x 29.5cm and the only effect was in having extra blank paper on the sheet.

Jeff, if you have A4 or A5 set on your printer options and print with 'Stretch to paper', 'Fit page' or 'Custom' instead of 'Exact size' it will  print accordingly…..You clearly have the right size selected.

Doug

Posted
Rating:
Note from Stubby's Mum :

Sorry he's not been to school, he's been a very naughty boy, and hasn't finished everything else he has to do first, such as put up the tree, the lights, the streamers, cook the meals… If he's allowed on the computer at home he may be allowed to take the lesson.

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=3]Gwent Rail[/user] wrote:

Jeff, if you have A4 or A5 set on your printer options and print with 'Stretch to paper', 'Fit page' or 'Custom' instead of 'Exact size' it will  print accordingly…..You clearly have the right size selected.

Doug

Clearly exclam: :mutley:mutley

Now, to be a "smart ar**se", I tried an experiment of my own. A few images on file and some size trials produced:-

Actual printed out sizes of the Rajah ad. are 21mm x 37mm; 20mm x 34mm and 14mm x 24mm. Bovril ad. sizes are 13 x 34; 11 x 29 and 4 x 9

Suitably emboldened, I imported Perry's 3 bay warehouse into Serif and added my own sign, thus:-

Teacher will either give me a Koala stamp for initiative, or a swift kick in the goolies for getting ahead of myself exclam:exclam: :mutley

PS on edit: The only thing I can't work out is why the Serif page is neatly arranged starting with images in the top left corner and working down the page, my efforts print out centrally located on the A4 page. I guess it must be something to do with printer / page settings quest:quest:

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
You always get someone in class being a creep and i guess we found one :twisted::mutley

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=9]phill[/user] wrote:
You always get someone in class being a creep and i guess we found one :twisted::mutley

Phill
:Red Card:Red Card I wasn't the one that gave teacher an apple exclam:exclam: :lol::lol::lol:
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.