Scratchbuilt "HO" scale trams

Posted
Rating:
Thanks guys :thumbs

Presumably it is important that the overheads are placed in exactly the right spot in relation to the points.  If the pole drags off to the side too long either before or after the tram has made the turn, then it's a de-wirement.  I wonder how well that would work in minature without either the mass or the pressure……………:hmm  The poles are spring loaded but not with too hefty springs.

I do remember the conductor having to get out and swing the pole to the opposite end of the tram by the rope whenever you reached the end of the line but I can't recall any de-wirements but as you say Rick, they must have happened.

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I think its as Doug says that the points set the direction ,and the pole just follows where its led .albeit a bow type pick up.  I recall the London trolleybuses having the pole moved by the conductor at terminals and also the occasional mishap .the pole lived in a long tube under the bus and was retrieved from the back of the bus when needed . I think (not sure ) that the old trolleybuses could move short distance by battery in an emergency .   I think the trams look great sizewise .i would certainly be pleased to use them.:thumbs  I remember the seat backs on trams could be swung over to face the opposite direction when preffered ,also making sure i did not get my bike wheels in the tracks . Those rubber bellows in front of traffic lights ,was another hazard.:roll:

reg

Posted
Rating:
[user=31]sparky[/user] wrote: 
also making sure i did not get my bike wheels in the tracks .

You had to be careful of the railway tracks in Devonport Dockyard, too.  There's the old joke about 'Why are you late reporting on board?' 'Please Sir, I got my bike stuck in the railway track and had to go to the end of the line to turn round and come back…..'

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I can't recall any de-wirements but as you say Rick, they must have happened.

I joined the Melbourne tramways in 2000 at which time we still had quite a number of trams with poles fitted.   The driver (as Melbourne no longer had conductors) had to lower one pole and raise the other at each terminus which - on a tram equipped with poles at each end - has the same effect as swinging a central pole around.  

The correct mode of operation, known as "trailing pole" was thus ensured.  It was not permitted to move with the pole raised in front of the tram, known as "spearing pole" though in emergency the leading pole could be swung right round to trail.

There were some dewirements as well.  Typically in the middle of a busy intersection at peak time :oops:

All of our trams (the oldest operational one of which dates from 1938) now have pantographs fitted though many were built new with poles and converted later.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
This is what's left of the the Great Sydney Trams and the Glebe sheds heart breaking really:

Sydney Abandoned Tram Shed

Sydney Abandoned Tram Shed

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Using overhead supply on the model means that it will be much easier doing the street infil which can be a right pain.

The trams look great by the way:thumbs:thumbs 

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.