Diesel depot - Scalescenes R023

Posted
Rating:
#103999 (In Topic #5505)
Scalescenes describe the R023 Diesel Depot model as a "modern structure". Is it a suitable basis for an end of steam/early diesel era layout, or is it too 'modern'? I've looked at the images on the Scalescenes website and still can't decide.

Perry

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Looking at the model Perry

The wasp doors to me seem to modern but they could be changed.

The only other thing if you are trying to date something is the cladding he is using for the shed when that type was introduced i have no idea to me cladding at that time would have been the old steel or asbestos semi circle curved cladding that was extensively used for many years and still is today in plastic and fibre type board.

Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
I see what you mean - use brick & you should be OK for steam/early diesel era.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
I'm about to do the same myself Perry and had decided that it was too modern. In the early days diesels often shared sheds with steam locos so to have something brand new was exercising my mind a bit too much for Sunday. I'll sit this one out if you dont mind and see what you come up with.:thumbs

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for all the input, gents.

It's looking like a scratchbuild might be required then. I'll do some research and put it on the 'To Do' list!

Perry

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I am building one for the D&S

Photo courtesy Scalescenses

The side walls appears to be fluted iron & the making of the wall is interesting to say the least
The top wall is as it comes after gluing the printout to card & the bottom wall is after cutting out the flutes.

As I add the inner & outer wall papers, I will take some more photos.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
That looks fiddly Ron. Be interested to see how it goes as I have not managed to complete a scalescenes kit yet!!

Bob

Posted
Rating:
[user=11]Novice[/user] wrote:
That looks fiddly Ron. Be interested to see how it goes as I have not managed to complete a scalescenes kit yet!!

Bob

Bob, do you mean that you have tried and been unsuccessful, or haven't yet had a go at a Scalescenes kit?  If the latter, why not try one of the free kits to begin?  They are fairly simple and straightforward.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
[user=711]col.stephens[/user] wrote:
[user=11]Novice[/user] wrote:

Bob

Bob, do you mean that you have tried and been unsuccessful, or haven't yet had a go at a Scalescenes kit?  If the latter, why not try one of the free kits to begin?  They are fairly simple and straightforward.

Terry
I haven't had a proper go to be honest. I have been put off by all the cutting out and the gluing of the paper onto card. For that reason I have tended to use embossed plastic or plastic kits. Last time I had a go at a downloaded kit, I used the printed sheets as a template for embossed plastic card.  Maybe I should give it a go though.

Bob

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Hi Bob,i started offf with Metcalfe and then tried Scalescenes as the next step.They are pretty straightforward and you shouldn't hold back from giving them a go.Also excellent value if you need a lot of structures to fill a space.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
The fluting now glued to the inside wall

the external wall cover now glued to the flutes & while the glue is still damp, you can see the start of the fluting

now using 1/8th plastic tubing, I have attempted to create the flutes - not overly impressed

as can be seen, I have managed to dent the paper - so this side will not be visible.( or I add some rubbish leaning onto the wall )

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
OK, what I have done is to fix the fluted sides problem by using Evergreen Metal siding #4530 that has 3.2mm spacing

The roof capping - not that impressed for attempting to have a curved  cap from a piece of card that gets bent in 5 slight angles to each other - yes I know some bubbles in the paper above the doorways, this end won't be seen.

so following advice from others, I have changed it to this gable style

now to do flooring with inspection pits.

Last edit: by Sol

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
The location of the shed - back two tracks of the 3 straight ones.

the shed in the planned location

the track this side of the shed with a yellow sleeper( uncoupling magnets) is for diesel supply tankers, etc.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
That looks pretty good Ron.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
May I respectfully suggest you consider Post 23 here - http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=1401&forum_id=11&page=2

Pick your card carefully and save the whisky tokens….

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Ah, now I remember that trick, thanks Doug.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
The floor in place

shed in position ( yes slightly fuzzy photo but once it installed permanently then a new photo will arise)

finishing off will be sometime as I have to ballast the tracks behind & do scenery before this gets "permanently" installed

Ron

Posted
Rating:
It certainly looks grubby enough!

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Added some more concrete & downpipes

this will do as regarding more details until I have finished the scenery behind it.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Sol,

It's looking really good, can I ask what the yellow sleeper is and is that loco hoist the Ratio version ?

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.