Guest user
Looking good Sol
I like the small local panel idea

Chris
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Ron, it all looks most professional and must be fascinating to operate. A heck of a lot of work, and thinking, is going into this.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Yes John, I am into the operational side more than scenery/prototype aspects. I will get a photo of the Command Centre a bit later.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
The Command centre where the Train Contoller sits - he can not only set all points for storage sidings but all the junction points & the main throat at Tawnton.

This shot also shows where the train orders are retained - on the end of the centre peninsula.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
The layout looks great Ron.

Can you explain what the green metal bars that go over the storage sidings are for? Apologies if you have covered this elsewhere. Also I have been thinking of using some of those side mounted Peco point motors for some areas of my layout. I would be interested to know how you are getting on with them. They look quite neat in position and will be even better once the ballasting is in and they are weathered.

Bob

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Looking very neat Ron. Your panels are first class!

Craig SR

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:hiRon, I am very impressed  by your electrical skills and control designs and of course your Railway layout.

Looks like you will have loads of fun and interest in the coming years as you continue the build.

Regards,

Derek

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
[user=11]Novice[/user] wrote:
Can you explain what the green metal bars that go over the storage sidings are for? Apologies if you have covered this elsewhere.   Bob http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=7607&forum_id=52&page=4  Post #70 onwards Also I have been thinking of using some of those side mounted Peco point motors for some areas of my layout. I would be interested to know how you are getting on with them. They look quite neat in position and will be even better once the ballasting is in and they are weathered. Yes they are neat & Rick/Gwiwer also uses them. They do take a bit of just getting them right mainly in levels . Itis a pity they don't come with a changeover switch built in.

Bob
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Nice tidy workmanship on the control station Sol.

I am very happy with my Peco side motors.  They are easy to fit, reliable, can be blended into the running scene as point motors (see my own layout thread) and if necessary can be replaced in just 5 minutes with next to no effort.  That's between trains for some of us rather than between sessions.

They don't like being misaligned so it pays to get them perfectly level and with the throw at exactly 90 degrees where at all possible - though they will work equally well on Y and 3-way points where they have to lie alongside curved track and throw at an obtuse angle.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Ron, how I'd like the space you have, its very interesting and impressive to see and the standard of workmanship. Plus I'm sure a lot of pleasure to operate.

Please also see my posting today on John Dew's thread about a 9" grid, I meant to make it earlier here when you were track laying.

Posted
Rating:
Ron
Thanks for the explanation and link to your other thread - now I understand! I am now going to use the side mounted Peco point motors for my MPD, which has tracks running underneath it which prevent under baseboard mounting of the motors.

Bob

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
After a recent op session, it was found that the MPD

caused some problems with loco interchange so I decided that the DMU depot at the other end of the station was to go.

I have revamped the storage to have the DMU's based there so the MPD will come to this part, extra tracks required.

The existing MPD  this morning looked like this

is no more & looks like this

The space will be used for scenery like houses, etc on a 3mm base so it can  be built off layout & then placed into position - job #895
Paint it the tan colour tomorrow to clean it up, then modify the panel.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That was quick!  The tracks were there when I was there yesterday.  :shock:

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Wow Ron, that was quick! I'm sure the new tracks will be beneficial.

Craig SR

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Now that the old MPD has gone, time to look at the new location - ex DMU's

A couple of diesels  sitting there now. The 2 point motors on the 3-way to be relocated tween the tracks; the existing tracks - two off, to be moved to suit the MPD building & then another loco track plus Fuel/Service track to go in.

The additional 3-way was surplus from the old MPD so it is being put to good use and you can see why the existing motors have to be moved.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Tracks down & wired - 2 point motors winging their way to me from the UK.

Rare earth magnets installed into the two left tracks.

Now for the revised panel-

This is as it was - the DMU service tracks now the MPD so additions to be done to this.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Much better.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Ron, you do have a 'real' railway there.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I was thinking Ron, That job 895 housing were you have torn up the tracks. That site looks just like Rose Grove (Preston-Blackburn) in the 1980s, Chuck in some heaps of sleepers and piles of rails with work crews and some machinery, maybe also add semi demolished buildings and it would look the real thing?

cheers,

Derek

Last edit: by shunter1

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.