DIY old factory/warehouse flatscene

Posted
Rating:

[Separated from DIY office thread]

[user=285]Alan[/user] wrote:
[user=465]Stubby47[/user] wrote:
P.S. There is a cunning plan behind these…

:hmm:hmm

It's to cover the floor on your box-file :mutley

Oh, ha ha….

No, it's to be the backscene on this, a small factory-based photo diorama, which I will build in the near future.

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Stu….

See how you have drawn that last post? With the buttresses going down to the deck….well if you made up some pieces of bevel topped paper covered strip to put between them that would be just purfek!

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Doug, I agree, and I'm probably going to remake both flat factories as one longer piece, with proper buttresses and bevel-topped inserts.

I also need to fit an office building (thanks again for the pdf) somewhere as well.

The two factories I've done were quick (about an hour each) and cheap (!)so scrapping them (or relegating them to the back of something else) won't be an issue.

Stu

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
I've re-worked the larger factory, replacing the base wall and three of the buttresses.

I've also made up the factory office block as well.

Posted
Rating:
Now the office block is really nice, i am building the office at the mo and i must say i like the look of yours, nice.

That Doofer has a lot to answer for, his fault some of us have the bug to build these dam buildings, :twisted::mutley

Trouble is i am enjoying doing it, i have looked at the layout and thought :hmm a nice flat scene be nice there or i could do this with the offce block etc.

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Well here is my contribuition to the months project……I wish I had managed it before Stu made these great posts

It requires a degree of courage to continue but I am a great believer in warts and all! 

Those of you who have looked at my Granby Layout will know that I have an extremely flat back scene……principally Townstreet in front of which is an 8 road storage yard fronted by a Metcalfe Mid? Scene and then the branch

There is a very noticeable join between the backboards and a gap between the factory and the housing

I have been promising to fix these for over a year

Before Doug launched this project I started to make a flat warehouse using Scalescene Paper and  some spare Metcalfe Windows

I have now learned a lot from this thread and so I may well replace this…….Apart from all the obvious defects I thought it had quite heavy weathering…….clearly not:twisted: 

To cover the back board gap I made a chimney and two factory units using Dougs PDF and some Scalescenes tiling

Why YMR?

I dont like twee names  (A Spud    Potato Merchant :Red Card)

but I do like naming businesses on the layout after friends and family where it fits into the context……fortunately my son in law is called Roberts which will do for Wales. I am calling the Canal Scene…..Richards Wharf to recognise all the help Wheel Tapper has given me…….I am struggling with a welsh version of MaxSouthOz……it will come eventually:mutley 

YMR has a nice almost Welsh ring to it and certainly recognises the many friends I have made on this Forum

To get some provenance I googled YMR North Wales……..guess what was the first hit???

http://yourmodelrailway.net/................a link to Granby

Hopefully all this froth has diverted you from examining this effort too closely and to finish I have a long range, slightly out of focus shot and you can see that, after a fashion, I have filled the gaps

I have a lot of space to fill to the right……..probably with another mill but this time with ………….recessed windows, windows cut out correctly, buttresses, chamfered bases……I could go on

The biggest problem ………Dooferdog Mills doesnt quite ring the bell……………maybe a petfood factory?

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Wow!  This is the first time I've seen your layout from this angle.  Amazing; right up there with the best on YMR.

Regards     Lllwellnmaxllnsouthfanwynozpqrstnllvwy. III   :mutley

Posted
Rating:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
Wow!  This is the first time I've seen your layout from this angle.  Amazing; right up there with the best on YMR.

Thanks indeed Max

I knew we would crack the name eventually……..I will get it in there somehow 

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
[user=434]John Dew[/user] wrote:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:

Thanks indeed Max

I knew we would crack the name eventually……..I will get it in there somehow 

Yes, good use of Dooferdog then

Ly III  for short quest:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
That backscene looks great John. :thumbs  It's got a real 3D effect now and, to my mind, you could easily continue the YMR factory (like it :thumbs:thumbs) along to join up with the gabled factory at the left hand side.

Regarding "Maxinsouthozton" and "Dooferdogsville", Im absolutely certain having seen your inventiveness with Matilda, that you'll come up with some very interesting names. :thumbs

It's always a real pleasure to spend some time on your layout. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
John, I like the little roller door entrance to the woollen mill - I might have to pinch the idea of the overhanging roof.
Stu

Posted
Rating:
You guys are too kind………and very early risers its 11pm Friday here

[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:

That backscene looks great John. :thumbs  It's got a real 3D effect now and, to my mind, you could easily continure the YMR factory (like it :thumbs:thumbs) along to join up with the gabled factory at the left hand side.

It never ends does it…..I looked at the mill ticked the job as done then looked to the left and realised I had created three more jobs:sad:

Regarding "Maxinsouthozton" and "Dooferdogsville", Im absolutely certain having seen your inventiveness with Matilda, that you'll come up with some very interesting names. :thumbs

Aah but wait until you see the Welsh Whisky Distillery owned and operated by a Scots/Yorkshire Farmer living in France

Could I have a mead distillery?:mutley

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
[user=434]John Dew[/user] wrote:
……………………………………………………………………………….Aah but wait until you see the Welsh Whisky Distillery owned and operated by a Scots/Yorkshire Farmer living in France

Could I have a mead distillery?:mutley
:mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
You spends yonks on this and still not find all the fine details, wonderfull. Look forward to more pics.

Phill
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.