Good thinking Stu - nice work.:thumbs

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Are you on commission Doug ? :mutley:mutley:mutley

I can confirm that, even for a dumbo like me, these Scalescenes kits a super fun to make and result in a very presentable and enormously strong model irrespective of your skill level.  Have a go, they're cheap as chips !!!!

If you expect to churn out the standard that both Doug and Perry are doing, well that will take a little more time………………:roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I've had another go at Doug's factory, a bit bigger this time.

P.S. There is a cunning plan behind these…

Last edit: by Stubby47

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
That's fine work, Stu.

Maybe pass the back of a knife across where the pillars meet the brick base (although I know nothing about paper modelling!).
Perhaps the uprights on the recesses should be above the windows?

Just nit picking - it looks great.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Peter.
The pillars were added after the base - the gaps between the two will be hidden/disguised by drain pipes, signs or other such paraphernalia.
The uprights were added to hide the edge of the card main wall. As this doesn't show as much (if at all) under the recess top edge, I left it off there, but I see what you mean.
I also need to add some capping stones as this building is intended to have a flat roof.

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
It looks good Stu although I do agree about the "fit" of the buttresses on the chamfered base wall.  That wall isn't chamfered in the original kit so it's an afterthought.  I'd imagine they'll be pigs to do because on the prototype, the buttresses would "build" into the base wall and the chamfered bits would only be along the recessed window sections (i.e. betweeen the buttresses).  I've no idea how I'd do that because each "element" is papered separately.   Maybe Doug can come up with an idea.

I particularly like the frame detail around the roller door - is it wood ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Peter, you are quite right, the base and buttresses would be built as one, and the chamfered bits would only be in the recesses. I could re-paper the lower portion of the building to cover the upright stones below the buttress lower edge, or just hide the joins when installed with stacks of goods.

If I did this style of building again I'd create a single piece frame for the base & buttresses, then add the uprights afterwards on the recesses only.

The door surround is simply a piece of 1.5mm card (my staple card thickness), left uncoloured, and cut to fit. The card used for the door is actually the cut out from the doorway.

Stu

Posted
Rating:
I've just had a thought - if I added some small buttress base pieces, which covered the base and a few bricks of the buttresses themselves, it would hide the uprights…

Posted
Rating:
That's bliddy good!  The only thing I can say in answer to the remarks above is that I would have continued the vertical 'buttresses' down to the level of the plain brick courses and inserted the soldier courses with the chamfer bricks in between them.

Bring on the next card modeller, will YMR be the first plastic-free forum?

Tee-hee!

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
It was a case of not thinking before I built it, really. I added the base, then decided to add the buttresses.
V3 will be better. (or V4, or V5…)

Posted
Rating:
"will YMR be the first plastic-free forum"

Only until the first burst pipe.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=465]Stubby47[/user] wrote:
P.S. There is a cunning plan behind these…

:hmm:hmm

It's to cover the floor on your box-file :mutley

Agree with the guys, but by adding a new butress to the bottom of each one will work :thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
That is looking very good, now when i get time i shall have another go at this kit.

Phill

Posted
Rating:
I think it looks very good Stu and the comments were very useful for when I start my second effort.......my first just needs fixing in position and then I can take some pics although I fear it is not to you standard

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for all the feedback, though I have to pass most of the credit to Doug -it was his idea and his techniques I've used.
Phill, definitely have another go, it's only pence and some time.
John, don't look too close at mine, there are glaring errors all over it ( and no, I'n not going to ask if you can see them and point them out to me! ( but there are 6 excluding the ones previously discussed)).

Alan - no, they are not destined for a boxfile, although they are currently in a shoebox - they're very handy to keep part or fully built models in until installation on a layout.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=465]Stubby47[/user] wrote:
( but there are 6 excluding the ones previously discussed)).

1 Butress

2 Should have been built  to HO Scale :pedal:pedal
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ok, 7, and who is to say what scale it is..... ?

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
:mutley:mutley:mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
:Red Card:Red Card:It's a no no

Oi, young Alan !!

Buttress is spelt with two 'T's !!

So it's only 6 ! 

And it's definitely NOT HO !

Posted
Rating:
[user=312]dooferdog[/user] wrote:
…………Bring on the next card modeller, will YMR be the first plastic-free forum?

Tee-hee!

Doug
NEVER!!!! :It's a no no :mutley

Perry

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.