YMR Layout !

Posted
Rating:
Mind you, I'm only playing if we use a boxfile…..:mutley

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=465]Stubby47[/user] wrote:
Mind you, I'm only playing if we use a boxfile…..:mutley
:hmm:hmm………………………. Thanks fine Stu, it's a good place to keep all the written ideas stored anyway :pedal
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=285]Alan[/user] wrote:
at the same time very good individual layouts, which it sounds ( I must have missed the thread somewhere :oops: ) that you are already planing to build, that can be linked in the greater scheme of things

No you havent missed the thread as I have not started one as yet for Portishead - there has been some mention of the plan on the Lesspoint thread but most has been on Dave's   (87101) buildings thread as I have commissioned him to do the buildings as they are very similar to the West Coast  Line ones in basic construction although obviously of a much earlier date. The plan is to portray Portishead in the early 1960's which fits with the overall concept.

Richard. A sorely missed member who lost a brave battle in 2012.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member

Bristol Temple Meads

A very basic description.

Temple Meads in the 1960's was the result of the original two separate stations built for the GWR and the Bristol & Exeter Companies being rebuilt in the 1930s as a joint station for the GWR and LMS.

Main Routes from the station were  to Bath/London,  Gloucester/Birmingham  and the North,  Newport/Cardiff and Taunton/Exeter/Penzance.

Main secondary routes from the station  and local branch lines were Bristol  Harbour Railway (serving the City Docks) ,  Avon Wharf Branch  , Portishead Branch , Avonmouth and Severn Beach  Branch (serving Avonmouth Docks) , Mangotsfield to Bath Green Park branch connecting with  the Somerset & Dorset Line for Templecombe, Bournemouth & Poole , and the North Somerset Branch for Radstock and Frome.

Locomotive sheds were located at at Temple Meads ( Bath Road Shed - mainly  WR passenger locomotives) , Bristol St Phillips (St Phillips  Marsh Shed (mainly Freight and local branch line locomotives) and Bristol Barrow Road Shed (Mainly  ex LMS  and Standard Class locomotives with the occasional LNER visitor.

Carriage Sidings were mainly situated at Dr Days between the line to Wales and the line North and Goods facilities were at Temple Meads (possibly the largest undercover goods depot  the country) , with smaller yards and depots around the city such as Pylle Hill , Bristol East Yard , Bristol  West Yard , St Mary Redcliffe and Canons Marsh.

There were 15 platforms numbered 1 to 15) although a couple of the longer ones were split into two for example 14 and 15 joined end on) and in the main ex LMS trains to the North used the original GWR terminus  part of the station while everything else used the newer joint station part. Not a great deal of through freight passed  through the station as there was a freight avoiding line which bypassed the main station via St Phillips Marsh.

Locomotives using the station included virtually all the WR types (Kings, Castles , Halls , Granges , Manors , Counties plus the mixed traffic , freight and shunting classes) All the Standard Classes . Many of the ex LMS Classes including Jubillees , Patriots and Royal Scots as well as the more mundane , occasional  ex Southern and ex LNER Class locos and most of the  earlier diesels  including the ex GWR Diesel Railcars , D600 , D800 and Hymek  D7000 series amongst others , plus first generation DMU's  and the Blue Pullman - so plenty of variety.

Last edit: by Wheeltapper

Richard. A sorely missed member who lost a brave battle in 2012.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Go on then Stu, let's see you get that lot in a box file :mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=339]Ian Morton[/user] wrote:
Go on then Stu, let's see you get that lot in a box file :mutley
Have we considered using T gauge ?

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Gives us plenty of scope :roll:
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.