Stu's Boxfile Layout

Posted
Rating:

(This is just my size)

What's the finish on the curved roof going to be Stu?
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nick,

Probably a piece of glass paper representing roofing felt.
I think tiles/ slates would look wrong when they reached the non-existant ridge.

Unless anyone has any better ideas, of course… ?

Stu

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
Stu

I think it would be more likely to have been done in lead. Felt is a short life material and substantial buildings were constructed to last. Anywhere where access was difficult would have been constructed of something requiring as little maintenance as possible. Something similar to this maybe : 

http://www.builderbill-diy-help.com/lead-roofing.html

Bob here, I have obtained permission from the company to place any of their pictures here on the forum but they are not to be removed from the forum. The pictures shown below are the one that Stu refers to and two others of interest on the same page.

Posted
Rating:
Nick,
That's superb !
Yep, that looks a whole lot better than I was thinking of, so I'll have a go at doing that tonight.
Paper strips for the lead, with plastic rod for the rolled bits, and a splash of grey paint.
Many thanks !
Stu

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
A pleasure dear boy
:cheers

Posted
Rating:
I've done a bit more on the 'metal store'.

This is a result of visiting the local haberdashery store and finding some brides dress fine netting, in a suitable brown (can't think who would want that colour on a wedding dress….).

Despite only wanting about 6" x 6", I had to buy 25cm x 1m, but it was only 65p, so I checked the wallet and paid up.

The door is made from split coffee stirrers, with paper hinges. The door needs a slap of paint, and I need to add shelves or racks in both sections.

Posted
Rating:
An overall shot of progress (or showing the distinct lack of progress) so far.

and an arty through-the-window shot…

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I think it's coming along really well Stu. I particularly like the right hand corner building as you look at the picture. For me it's an unusual design.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Bob. It is a strange design - it's all a figment of my imagination. I wanted to have somewhere for the vans to go into, and needed to balance the left hand end for height. The roof looked a little bare without some sort of dormer, and rather than do something simple, I opted for a curved roof.

Daft, really, as the join between the curved and straight roofs is a nightmare to workout (back in my school days I could have plotted the curve properly, then made a perfect fitting piece). The gap will be covered with layers of paper, representing lead, as Nick has suggested.

Posted
Rating:
Very impressive Stu. :thumbs

i wonder what the haberdashery shop keeper thought when you asked for bridal netting ………….:roll:  From your avatar you could be Page Boy or, because I'd guess that photo was taken at least 3 years ago, your Mum ought to have been married already …………….:cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I did almost ask for the netting, but managed to find some just walking round.
The photo is slightly more than 3 years ago, though I'm not much different now. It was in fact my/our wedding - next month is our Silver Anniversary.

Posted
Rating:
You should see what I looked like 25 years ago ........................:roll::roll::cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Only a week to go before the layout ( do three boxfiles qualify as a layout ? ) get its first public outing at the other forum's members day in Taunton.
All that's left to do is :
• the ballasting of half the track
• the painting of the paving & cobbles
• the re-roofing of the entrance building
• the completion of the dormer roof and side roof on the right hand building
• the completion of the roof on the new front office building
• the creation of racking in the metal store
• the addition of door steps for most of the doors
• extra brick embelishments to hide certain building joins
• gutters and down pipes
• weathering of stock and the fitting of the 'Kirby' couplings
• addition of clutter and people

It should all be done in time…

Last edit: by Stubby47

Posted
Rating:
Today's workbench :

The plant room :

and I've been doing some vital testing :

Posted
Rating:
It's absolutely remarkable what you've managed to do in such a small space, Stu.  :doublethumb

Perry

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

Posted
Rating:
It's easy in a small space, it's keeping that momentum up on larger baseboards that's the challenge.

Posted
Rating:
[user=465]Stubby47[/user] wrote:
Only a week to go before the layout ( do three boxfiles qualify as a layout ? ) get its first public outing at the other forum's members day in Taunton.
All that's left to do is :
• the ballasting of half the track
• the painting of the paving & cobbles
• the re-roofing of the entrance building
• the completion of the dormer roof and side roof on the right hand building
• the completion of the roof on the new front office building
• the creation of racking in the metal store
• the addition of door steps for most of the doors
• extra brick embelishments to hide certain building joins
• gutters and down pipes
• weathering of stock and the fitting of the 'Kirby' couplings
• addition of clutter and people

It should all be done in time…

Update on progress…

• the ballasting of half the track - Done
• the painting of the paving & cobbles - Done
• the re-roofing of the entrance building - Done

• the completion of the dormer roof and side roof on the right hand building - part Done

I've also been considering how to complete the small area to the left of the new Plant room

but I've finally decided to add this :

(er, sorry, couldn't find a photo, but it's a very special piece made for me by Ddolfelin), which will look just the part.

Posted
Rating:
Which you could just as easily made for yourself, Stu.
Some of your work is outstanding.

Next time, perhaps try making stuff in plastic - you know it makes sense!
(and it's waterproof and mothproof).

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the comment DD - it's currently on a window sill in the lounge and I admire it every time I see it.

As for using plastic, I do for some items, this for example :

and this :

it just depends on the finish I want and the method of construction.

Stu

Posted
Rating:
Laterite & Co Ltd is now complete - well apart from some minor detailing bits, people and some more rolling stock.

Thanks to all for your help, advice and and encouragement.:thumbs

Last edit: by Stubby47

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.