Alan's Boxfile !

Posted
Rating:
#100683 (In Topic #5352)
Guest user
As mentioned I will be using three box-files, with two being for the scenic part and the other for the fiddle yard, I am playing with the track plan at the moment, as I cannot decide on the overall idea, but it will be DCC ( Bachmann EZ ) I am thinking along the lines of a run down end of the line in a large city, with a small platform and a small loco cleaning and refuelling depot, this will allow me the use of 3/4 locos and a couple of different wagons to run.

First up the three box-files brought for well under £2 each, but they are very strong and sturdy.

Next up is a quick layout of the track-plan that I might use, this is on top of the closed box's but it does give me the overall size, the track will extend all the way to the left of the photo ( I just ran out :roll:) The track along the top and the bottom will also run through two tunnels into the fiddle yard/box

This image is to show where the points will be when the two sides of the box's are cut out.

Below shows the two tracks running into the fiddle box ( black box )

Below is a rubbish photo, but I have taken it to show one problem, the floor of the layout will need to be raised, this is to allow all the wiring ( track and signals plus other lighting ) and point roding ( as they will have to be manual )to be under it, for this I am going to use some strips of balsa wood, on top of that will be the new base of the layout, which will be built out of foam board with a layer of cork under the track only.

Long long way to go, but I do have a vision but  need to sit down and forward plan, so that I don't miss anything

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I have decided that I am going to put the box's end to end as in the images above, but you could put them side to side, or even standing up, which would allow for a bridge to be modelled etc, just a thought !
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Alan
I like the idea of the box file layout, looking forward to the piccy’s as it progresses.

I did a similar thing around 30 years ago with military models, which was adopted into our modelling club as a member’s monthly competition. “Dioramas In-A-Box”.
Mainly 1/72nd scale, they were easy to store, simple to transport to club meetings and take to shows, more to the point, they were cheap.

Save the World take note.
Recycling is nothing new! Modellers have been doing it for years.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Looks like a good plan Alan. :thumbs

Just so that I can follow could you tell me if there is a limit on height i.e. does any feature have to be below the sides of the box?

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Now this is going to be interesting to follow. There was a article about doing this a few month back in the Hornby mag and that looked very good as well.

How will you be doing the track joins from each box?

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thanks for all the kind comments guys :thumbs

Little bit of work carried out yesterday, first job was to take out the two middle sides, and let the front panels drop down, after cutting along the corner joints the sides pulled out the same with front, and after taking out the staples the job was done, leaving a large open section, the image below shows this area with the balsa strips which will hold the foam-board

Next job was to cut out the foam-board, this image shows the joint of the two box-files with the balsa wood and the foam-board with piece of old track on-top 

This image just shows that left hand box closed

This image shows the track plan that I have decided to go without the point on the lower track, I feel that it isn't needed, as this will just a refueling line that you can get to with by a point further back down the track ( in the fiddle box :roll:)

Next job was to cut out the small openings to the fiddle yard in both box's

This is the back entrance to the scenic section, I am going to use the Peco Loco-lift as this will allow me the chance to run more stock, in the very small area, it also means that I don't have to put power into the fiddle box as the loco lift will pick up the power from the small amount of track in the tunnel.

Lots of cleaning up to do, next job will be to cut the new track and lay it down and test it before gluing it down and adding the wiring.

Fire away with any questions

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Alan,

Not sure if you're going DC or DCC (I'm guessing DCC from your thread about the 08) but here's an alternative suggestion to powering the track…

Put a short piece of track in the fiddle yard to rest the other end of the Peco loco lift on, and attach the power source to this piece. Thus, only the track on the layout that has the loco lift attached in the FY will have power - the other non-connected tracks will be isolated.

This, of course, is no good for DCC, where you want the locos to sit there, making noises…..

Stu

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Stu

I am going to use an old Bachmann EZ, mainly because I have it and also I will be able to run three locos at the same time, one in the station, one shunting and the other refueling, those are my thoughts but they might be to much ?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Work has been carried out today on the track, it has been all cut and layed, and then tested, after the small testing :roll: the track was tacked into place with glue from a hot-glue gun ;-)and then all the dropper wires soldered.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=285]Alan[/user] wrote:
Work has been carried out today on the track, it has been all cut and layed, and then tested, after the small testing :roll: the track was tacked into place with glue from a hot-glue gun ;-)and then all the dropper wires soldered.
:Red Card:Red Card Fingers still OK, mate? :mutley:mutley:mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
:oops::oops: Yes thanks, no problem this time, but I was working downhill so the glue couldn't drop down, good point though Jeff, I have not glued the foam-board base board to the box's, this makes it much easier to work on the wiring etc underneath, as all I have to do is turn it over, also making holes in it is simple, and yet it is sturdy and quiet when you run a loco over the track :thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Looking good so far Alan.What did you use to cut through your boxfile?

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=201]georgejacksongenius[/user] wrote:

Stanley  John :thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Alan,

Did you realise that 'Three Boxfiles' is an anagram of 'Brief Hotel Sex' ???

Stu

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=465]Stubby47[/user] wrote:
Alan,

Did you realise that 'Three Boxfiles' is an anagram of 'Brief Hotel Sex' ???

Stu
You need to get out more Stu :pathead

I'm starting to understand how your brain works  :roll::roll:

Stanley  John :thumbs
Wrong :oops::oops:, I was having a bad day yesterday, and misread John. To cut through the sides I used a small saw :thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
In any case, shouldn't that be Stanley ?  Livingstone :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Alan,
      Can we please have Brief Hotel Sex as the next monthly project???:pedal
:mutley:mutley:mutley

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Alan,

:hmm:hmm:hmm

I wonder who would take part in that project, loads I expect :roll:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Alan,

Disgusting, count me out i am Catholic, :roll:

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=9]phill[/user] wrote:
Alan,

Disgusting, count me out i am Catholic, :roll:

Phill

Don't Catholics sleep Phill !!!!

If you all want this to be a monthly project, you could always make a hotel using Doug's idea from this months project and install on your layout :roll:
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.