Winter Project Micro Layout !

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=465]Stubby47[/user] wrote:
The size, shape and construction of a box file make it very suitable for posting, possibly around the world. Now far be it from me to try to guess what Alan is upto, but, if the boxfiles were built to a standard, they could be posted to the same location and joined together in time for a show, then posted back to their owners.
This is taking Marty's module idea and transportation of Greenhills to another level - a truely global layout…

Spot on Stu  :pathead:pathead:pathead:pathead

Ten house points to the little B…t at the back :mutley:mutley:mutley

For this to work most projects would need to built in 00, but the same can said for N guage, Posting around the world was one idea, along with a couple of meet-ups in a village hall close to a lot of members geographically , giving a reason for a get-together of members, if this is something, that you all would like to do, then I have another bigger plan that we could all be involved with, which is so different to anything that I think has ever been done before :hmm
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
[user=285]Alan[/user] wrote:
[user=465][/user][user=18]Les[/user] wrote:
Alan, I think this is a great idea but sadly I cannot join in. First I don't think I've ever seen a box file in Spain, second I'd have to send to the UK for materials by which time the project would be well and truly over and third I just daren't neglect Devon Junction any more. I should love to watch progress though.:thumbs
Les
Shame Les…………..:hmm you could always use a shoe- box :pedal
Hmmm……that's a bit like a red rag etc.

I must confess to being a little bit tempted now that I know it needn't be in a box file but will follow box file dimensions. I still need to know if the lid has to close because as the last project was a tree then this could be a bit restrictive. Tempting though.:hmm

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Of course you can add a tree… Make the trunk in two halves, with the lower, rooted portion firmly fixed to the baseboard. Conceal in the trunk a hollow tube, possibly brass. Make the upper part of the tree as directed, but in the main trunk add a long rod which fits snugly into the tube in the lower trunck. The join betwixt top and bottom can be hid by creatively added 'bark' or carefully placed foilage, ivy, or such like greenery.
(At least, that's how I'm going to try it…)

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
The size, shape and construction of a box file make it very suitable for posting, possibly around the world. Now far be it from me to try to guess what Alan is upto, but, if the boxfiles were built to a standard, they could be posted to the same location and joined together in time for a show, then posted back to their owners.
This is taking Marty's module idea and transportation of Greenhills to another level - a truely global layout…

If that's the case then we need to know the standard before deciding on track plans surely.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=401]pnwood[/user] wrote:

If that's the case then we need to know the standard before deciding on track plans surely.

Standards for the through line

From the inside back of the box 45mm to the edge of the first rail

Base of the layout is 15mm from the bottom of the box-file, with track including the sleepers on top of that - no cork

Code 100 track.

Hope this helps, the base of the layout is 15mm high to allow small strips of balsa wood and Foam board onto, this is to allow all the wiring etc to be underneath that but inside that box-file
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I think I will have to gracefully pull out. I'm not really up for another modular approach just now.

By the way, I think your dimensions might have one two many zeros in them. I don't have any box files that are as much as 450mm wide, let alone from back to track. And if the base is 150mm high, that is a full 2ins higher than the modules we produced for Cornwall !!

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Like Geoff im not up for any modular thing

My own layout was totally neglected doing the last ones

And personally The exhibition scenario is not me i know many enjoy exhibiting their work but it does nothing for me i just do the hobby for fun and personal enjoyment so i think the 2 modules i did will be the first and last things i ever do for any sort of exhibition.

Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=422]Geoff R[/user] wrote:
I think I will have to gracefully pull out. I'm not really up for another modular approach just now.

By the way, I think your dimensions might have one two many zeros in them. I don't have any box files that are as much as 450mm wide, let alone from back to track. And if the base is 150mm high, that is a full 2ins higher than the modules we produced for Cornwall !!

:oops::oops: 

Standards altered
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Standards for the through line

From the inside back of the box 45mm to the edge of the first rail

Base of the layout is 15mm from the bottom of the box-file, with track including the sleepers on top of that - no cork

Code 100 track.

Hope this helps, the base of the layout is 15mm high to allow small strips of balsa wood and Foam board onto, this is to allow all the wiring etc to be underneath that but inside that box-file
I've found my box files and two together give an outside measurement of 29" x 10" (that would roughly work out as 250mm wide inside) are you suggesting a through line near the back (less than 2") rather than the front, Alan?

I guess I'm being a bit thick here, but my main question is "What through line?" - I thought that the micro layout project was a stand-alone thing and a micro-module-linking-up-with-everyone-else was another issue.
I'm not opposed to building a box file layout, it should be a lot of fun, but in such a small space, I'm already having difficulty in fitting in something worthwhile. 
I'm not up for the added restrictions that conformity brings.

If this project is to be built to a common standard, gauge and track code, I'm with Geoff and will gracefully retire.
I'm currentlty thinking more 009, spread across 3 boxfiles that can be seperated for transport / storage (additionally providing a "fiddle-board" that will attach to the side for operation) and US logging, but that's not yet firm.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Okay guys lets not do a Peter here and get all confused !!

I was asked to come up with a set of standards for those that wish to join their box-files, for only those members, for the rest of you, make your track-plan and to the scale that you want too

This is your project  all I am trying to do is keep everybody happy, use one two three or even four box-files if you so wish, the main thing here is join in if you want to.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I have to say I like the idea of a joined up set of boxfiles layout, and I like the sound of individual boxfile layouts, but which is best.....?

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I have to say I like the idea of a joined up set of boxfiles layout, and I like the sound of individual boxfile layouts, but which is best…..?

Your choice :roll::roll:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
OK then, I think I've got this now.

We build a "layout" using a given number of boxfiles, 1, 2 or 3 to our own plan and scale. If we want to we can use a set of standards that will enable us to join up to other member's efforts. If not, we do our own thing.

The other thread about a YMR layout is a longer term thing and completely seperate from the box file project.

Correct quest: :thumbs:thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Correct :thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=5]rector[/user] wrote:
I'm warming to this project idea but have one problem. Box files do not appear to exist this side of the Atlantic.

Perhaps my project should be "build a box file." :mutley

Tim

Do you want the sizes :roll::roll: 

Yes, and thanks to Woody I've got them,  I might try something with bass and balsa wood.

Posted
Rating:
[user=401]pnwood[/user] wrote:
Foolscap box files (imperial) are slightly larger and the external measurements are 370mm long x 245mm wide x 75mm deep. The lid and base are 2mm thick, the four sides are 6mm thick.

Metric box files are the same dimensions except for the length which is 340mm. i.e. 30mm shorter

Thanks, Nick. As I had to withdraw from the YMR Modular layout I feel duty bound to hack something up in box-file size.  Question is, are people doing imperial or metric?

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hello One and All,

Don't you thimk that it is now time to sit down and re-consider what you hope to achieve. I have gone back to the 1st Post and the concept has changed at least 5 times. Where will the Fiddle-yards run from and go to - your track-height - track-gauge and code - DC or DCC - where are you intending to control/store ALL the Trains that "travel" up and down/to and from each Box-file and Fiddle-yard - Will the Scenic Back-drops be linked, Station to Town/Village/Rural/Industrial/Water etc and might it not, perhaps, be a good idea to utilize the planning-skills of those very people who wrote the Standards for the Cornish get-together. Individual members who originally wished to take-part are now withdrawing because the concept changed from a "Box-File Project" of their choice into something far-more complex. Now, I haven't even built one Lay-out, yet, but I do know the difference between a coherent plan of action and c–p waiting to hit the fan. If I'm out-of-line, so be it, however, I don't believe I'm wrong,

Very Respectfully,

Michael Thornberry.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Michael

Some of what you say is correct, but this started out as a project that could be worked on at home using the skills learnt from the monthly projects, at the same time as building a small diorama that you can use to photograph your stock.

Then some have asked if they could be joined up, so a few ( and I say few)  standards have been added for those that might want to join up at a get-together, this might be in someones garage or a small show or even a large show, or not at all !

Also lets not get this confused with any other project, my idea was to kick start some that haven't built a layout ever, and for others that might be stuck in the middle of a longer project, the chance to work on something different, the other project being discussed at the moment is something totally different, and will be a very long term project, this is a hobby and what ever we do in it must be for your enjoyment.

Again DC or DCC, code 100 or 75, 00 or N gauge only matters if you want to join it up, and if a few what to do that then they can discuss their projects on another thread simples really.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I'm warming to this project idea but have one problem. Box files do not appear to exist this side of the Atlantic.

Perhaps my project should be "build a box file." :mutley

Tim

Do you want the sizes :roll::roll: 

Yes, and thanks to Woody I've got them, I might try something with bass and balsa wood.

Is that a fish box ?

:mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Another option for those building longer-term, home based layouts, is to get involved in building a boxfile layout that will fit in to the main layout at a suitable place.

A small area of the main baseboard could be left bare, with a simple spur line connection, and the boxfile(s) added as part of the main layout. This also gives the chance to change this part of the layout at intervals, to provide reasons to run different stock.

For example, a boxfile with a china clay theme could be replaced by a dairy, or a brewery, or a gas works, or a scrap yard, or whatever else your fancy.

Stu

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.