Winter Project Micro Layout !

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=285]Alan[/user] wrote:
[user=465]Stubby47[/user] wrote:
A couple of questions:
Do the boxfiles have to be permanently connected together, or must they be able to be separated ?
Do the lids have to be closeable ? ( maybe difficult with trees,,,)
Stu

:hmm I think the challenge would be to keep them attached and working, the same with the fronts !

Jeff

How about a small American Ho layout ?

Come on guys this is a great chance to test a lot of modelling skills in a very small area, I will be using a lot of re-cycled bits and Scalescene buildings and papers for most of the rest, so the cost will be very low, we have four of us at the moment, but anybody can join when they want to :thumbs

Hmmm US outline in HO?? How long are two box files when put together? Probably not long enough for using one of my big Walthers industrial kits. :cry::cry::cry:

I was thinking of making the fronts hinge down for display (and extra modelling width) and then fold up for storage - is that acceptable??

PS on Edit - What are the start and finish dates ??
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Jeff, if you can find them, you can buy box files with a fold-down front. I've not managed to source any locally, but they would be ideal as although they loose the rigidity of the four-sided box, the three fixed sides are stronger to compensate. This would be lacking in a home-made front-hinged box.
HTH
Stu

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=201]georgejacksongenius[/user] wrote:
Right,I'm going a bit down the Les route here with a China Clay Dries Layout.2 scenic boxfiles,one for fiddle yard…will probably be a traverser,so I can save the points for the scenic bit.
  I've got plenty of photo reference,and already have some China Clay wagons…panniers and 45xx's.
  The hard part is going to be the planning.And I'll need a name for it…..Once I come up with something,I'll start a thread…
:hmm
Cheers,John.B.:thumbs
Sounds good John, are you building this in N Gauge or 00 ?

[user=3]Gwent Rail[/user] wrote:
I was thinking of making the fronts hinge down for display (and extra modelling width) and then fold up for storage - is that acceptable??

PS on Edit - What are the start and finish dates ??

Jeff

I am going to hinge the fronts on mine, but keeping the lid so that it can still be closed ( although all joined to-gether) if you add detail to the front panel, be care-full that when the front is closed the detail isn't knocked off with what ever you have on the front part of the layout.

Start when you like, I have already started planning and working out what order to do things, but if those that are going to take part, start soon then we will all be around the same point to-gether, finishing date……..:hmm:hmm lets say end of March, how is that for everyone, that gives us five months ?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
For those of you who've not seen my Porth Byhan boxfile layout, the method I used to split the buildings to allow the lid to clse can be seen in the Construction page of the website, just follow the link below.
I'm not saying it's the only, or best method, but it worked for me.

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Alan, I think this is a great idea but sadly I cannot join in. First I don't think I've ever seen a box file in Spain, second I'd have to send to the UK for materials by which time the project would be well and truly over and third I just daren't neglect Devon Junction any more. I should love to watch progress though.:thumbs
Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=465]Stubby47[/user] wrote:
For those of you who've not seen my Porth Byhan boxfile layout, the method I used to split the buildings to allow the lid to clse can be seen in the Construction page of the website, just follow the link below.
I'm not saying it's the only, or best method, but it worked for me.
Very interesting Stu

Have you decided on the topic for this project yet ?

[user=18]Les[/user] wrote:
Alan, I think this is a great idea but sadly I cannot join in. First I don't think I've ever seen a box file in Spain, second I'd have to send to the UK for materials by which time the project would be well and truly over and third I just daren't neglect Devon Junction any more. I should love to watch progress though.:thumbs
Les
Shame Les…………..:hmm you could always use a shoe- box :pedal
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Nice idea but I really don't think I should take on another challenge for a while. I will be adding fiddleyards and stuff to Waton and also Cramdin is booked out to 3 exhibitions so will need work.  I'm also expecting delivery of a new shed (The Engine room) on the 1st of November so there'll be plenty to do to get that rigged out and everything moved in.

I will try to chip in on the monthly projects though. Have fun guys I'll be interested in your progress.

Cheers
Dave
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Alan,

Yep, I think I've got a plan in my head. It will include : a station, a goods shed, a transfer siding from a narrow gauge line and a turntable, though I might need to go to 2 boxfiles.

And it will be in OO.
And I'll add a wire tree.
And the lids will close.

(Note to self - get out more, you have very strange ideas in your head).

Posted
Rating:
Box files, like the cost of living, must be much bigger now than I remember them !!

Getting just one point into a box file will be a challenge for me and as for the finishing date of 5 months………:shock::shock:  It's taken me nearly 30 months to NOT finish Maxmill Engineering………………..:cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I was thinking that I'd rather get on with Much Murkle but I do quite fancy having a go at this. I even downloaded some Peco point templates last night to have a play.

Looking through my old box files I have a few Foolscap ones which are slightly larger  ;-)

If I can come up with a good idea and track plan then I might give it a go.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Come on Nick, you are already half way to deciding, come and join the crazy gang, but we are on the small side !!

How many different track plans did you come up with ?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Alan,
      Mine will be n gauge,so I'll be able to fit more railway in.I'm currently dithering between my initial idea of China Clay Dries and a GWR or LMS MPD!! I'll make my mind up over the weekend!
:hmm
Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thanks for the ideas about how to fit in the building height, Stu, but your boxfile has somewhat bu**ered me up :Red Card exclam:exclam: :lol::lol:
One of my ideas, the one I was probably going with, was a small dock side scene. I'll have to think of something else now. :brickwall:brickwall :mutley:mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I'm warming to this project idea but have one problem. Box files do not appear to exist this side of the Atlantic.

Perhaps my project should be "build a box file." :mutley

Posted
Rating:
Jeff, Of course you can build a dock scene, Porth Byhan is only my attempt, I'm sure yours would be completely different.

In fact, I'd love to see how someone else would do it.

Stu

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=5]rector[/user] wrote:
I'm warming to this project idea but have one problem. Box files do not appear to exist this side of the Atlantic.

Perhaps my project should be "build a box file." :mutley

Tim

Do you want the sizes :roll::roll: 

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Foolscap box files (imperial) are slightly larger and the external measurements are 370mm long x 245mm wide x 75mm deep. The lid and base are 2mm thick, the four sides are 6mm thick.

Metric box files are the same dimensions except for the length which is 340mm. i.e. 30mm shorter

Last edit: by pnwood

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member

I am seriously tempted to join in - problem is I have five different projects underway already and I really need to make some progress on a couple of them before starting anything new but will see how I get on and may come in later.

I will watch the rest of you for now and hopefully you will have all made the mistakes and found answers by  the time I might get around to starting.:lol:

Richard. A sorely missed member who lost a brave battle in 2012.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=373]Wheeltapper[/user] wrote:

I am seriously tempted to join in -

Well don't beat around the bush Richard, just jump in the more the merrier, as I have a cunning plan :roll::roll:, that I will explain when we have ten members taking part ;-) 
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
The size, shape and construction of a box file make it very suitable for posting, possibly around the world. Now far be it from me to try to guess what Alan is upto, but, if the boxfiles were built to a standard, they could be posted to the same location and joined together in time for a show, then posted back to their owners.
This is taking Marty's module idea and transportation of Greenhills to another level - a truely global layout…

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.