Marty's N gauge trees

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

'cause I need hundreds of them...

Thanks Marty, A great tutorial and result!a lovely bunch of trees for your layout, have a great christmas.
Derek
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hello Derek,
I was beginning to think that you had "fallen-fowl" :chicken to that Irish Mist Syndrone - that "clear magical fire-water, Potteen. :thud:thud:thud "Mist-you", nice to see you back - hope you are well,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hello Marty,
            A Very Merry Christmas, mate, to you and your Family. Have a Bumper Selling Fortnight,
                         Kind Regards,
                      Michael Thornberry.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=469]Michael Thornberry[/user] wrote:
Hello Derek,
I was beginning to think that you had "fallen-fowl" :chicken to that Irish Mist Syndrone - that "clear magical fire-water, Potteen. :thud:thud:thud "Mist-you", nice to see you back - hope you are well,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

:lol:Hi Michael, No such luck. Went mad on the 16x8 room plastering and painting, finally I now have things ready for some track laying, thanks for asking, have a nice time:thumbs 

Derek 

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for your comments all, glad it was of some use to someone and looking forward to Derek's layout developments.

Still churning away on the tree project.

The latest technique for adding foliage is as follows:

Spray tree frame with a coat of spray adhesive and dip into or sprinkle over with Woodland scenics foliage. Tap off the excess.

Repeat… to give a thicker foliage.

Spray a third time to hold the foliage together and sprinkle lightly with a different colour of fine or coarse turf to represent new leaf growth.

Allow to dry.

Spray over with a clear matte sealer.

The results so far are waiting to be planted on the layout, including 3 straight willows and 1 weeping one.

and the last of the 35 tree frames, including a larch and a spruce, have been painted and are awaiting foliage. Note the skewers and tape… got tired of getting glue on my fingers.

More as it comes to hand.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
They are great and you have just inspired me into doing some more trees, I'll dump all the Chinese one's I bought as they do look rubbish, but your wire trees are Tops:doublethumb
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Warren, let me know if I can help. :thumbs

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Will do Marty.

Shame I didn't know about 2 months ago as a bloke in Perth was selling one of these,
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/blog.php?b=1351 …… a Topside Creeper!

The bloke wanted $250 to post it….:lol: this would be ideal for me as I struggle to get to the center of the layout.
I contacted a mob in China and they said it was $78 :Happy…. But you had to order 100 and up :cry:

Now….. if we have 100 people interested in them we could be in Business :thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
If you just held a four stone weight in each hand for a month, your arms would grow longer ………….

Love those trees Marty - particularly the one front left in the first photo. :thumbs

I'm still trying to get my head around what colour the trunk is for mine ………..:roll: but I like your idea of how to add several coverings of scatter etc. for the foliage.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=519]3801[/user] wrote:
Will do Marty.

Shame I didn't know about 2 months ago as a bloke in Perth was selling one of these,
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/blog.php?b=1351 …… a Topside Creeper!

The bloke wanted $250 to post it….:lol: this would be ideal for me as I struggle to get to the center of the layout.
I contacted a mob in China and they said it was $78 :Happy…. But you had to order 100 and up :cry:

Now….. if we have 100 people interested in them we could be in Business :thumbs

A useful bit of kit if you have difficulty reaching into the layout.

I've got one corner that I need to use a step stool to reach the backscene… of course the best way is to plan your base board so that you don't need to reach!

When I visited Hobart 4 or 5 years ago there was a Swiss mountain railway layout just out of town. 0 gauge and floor to ceiling scenery. 18 - 20ft high warehouse ceilings too. The guy had spent years working on scenery while lying on a plank suspended above the layout from the wharehouse crane!!!

cheers

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
If you just held a four stone weight in each hand for a month, your arms would grow longer ………….

Love those trees Marty - particularly the one front left in the first photo. :thumbs

I'm still trying to get my head around what colour the trunk is for mine ………..:roll: but I like your idea of how to add several coverings of scatter etc. for the foliage.

Nothing like referencing the real thing to get a feeling for trunk colour Peter. Although, once planted in the forest the trunks are going to be pretty hard to see anyway.

cheers

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I tried you tree making on the weekend but… mine turned out to be rubbish:cry: I'll have to have another go at it:sad:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Yeah, took me a couple of goes to get it to a point where I was happy with it. Don't give up… it's worth the effort.

Post photos of the various stages if you like. I'm happy to make suggestions and the process will help others.

My 12 yr old niece added the foliage to a dozen trees over the weekend. She's a smart cookie with an interest in arts and crafts. Showed her once and left her to it. 3 hours later a dozen trees and the beginnings of 2 conifers.

Photos tomorrow.
cheers

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Start a business and put her to work, Marty!

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
These are the latest trees of the 35 odd batch in production.
The darker ones in the foreground have used the Woodlands Scenics Forest Green Underbrush Foliage, the lighter greens use the Noch foliage mats.
I think that a little less of the Woodlands Foliage would be more, if you know what I mean, and the trunks on many of them are too thin but… it's all a learning process.
The house is a Kestrel kit that still needs glazing.

Side view, the trees are just stuck into polystyrene blocks for construction purposes, later on they will be planted on the layout.

There are still 2 confirs to complete and about 5 "others" that still need their trunks painted before foliage can be applied.
Here's another Spruce under construction…

cheers

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Superb microarborculture :cheers  

I look forward to seeing these specimens in situ sometime soon.  And if you need any descriptive signs or interpretive plaques you know who to call :mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Has anyone tried collecting spiders' webs on an armature and spraying them?
Australia seems to have a wealth of such materials.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
:hmm

Now there's an idea.  You have no idea how many spider's webs I have tried (with mixed success) to disentangle from my trees over the years.  

Perhaps "If you can't beat them join them" :thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=316]Gwiwer[/user] wrote:
Superb microarborculture :cheers  

Toatally agree with that sentiment Rick,  cracking trees as well   :mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
They look great Marty - I'm not sure I agree with you about making the Woodlands stuff less.  I think they look well covered as they are and, if you're not careful, too little makes them look like models.  As they are, they look right.  The dark green, IMHO, ought to be "heavier" than the light green.  It's more of a high summer colour whilst the lighter stuff is spring when perhaps the leaves are not fully developed.

p.s. I still like your trunks - mine still looks like a toy but at least the multiple layers of paint are making it look thicker …..:roll::roll::lol:

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.