Cattle Dock Build

Posted
Rating:
#97996 (In Topic #5210)
Ok i guess this is a scratch-build and its kinda my first go at one.

I purchased some foam board off Ian and i thought do something small to start and get the feel of it, so i had this idea. I am building my farm and needed a cattle dock. This i got of a strange man who said he was a member on here, met him at the show, bit suspect if you ask me :doublethumb, reason being he went a bright red when asked about Discount, :mutley.

Anyhow i then realised i needed a ramp for the cattle to get up and so set about building one. Now its a tad wide but i intend to fence it off down the middle and use the space to stack straw bales etc, which they have to put on the wagons for the live stock. I cut the top and sides out of plasticard and then used a brick plastic card i purchased at the model show. It needs a bit more work, ie fencing, weathering and the sides doing but i would like any good or bad comments on my progress thus far if that is ok. Here are a few pics,

Ok please be nice i am a shy and young person just learning the hobby :roll:. You will nottice that a bit of balsa is not covered at the end of ramp. reason is i have carved a slight slope here and i will paint it some colour later.

Also what type of cattle wagon should i be using for this scene please. Thank you.

Phill

Last edit: by phill

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
"Also what type of cattle wagon should i be using for this scene please"

Preferably a brown one for obvious reasons.

Look forward to finished work, Phill.

Last edit: by ddolfelin

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
That's coming along nicely, Phill.

You made the right decision to start with something small. That way you will see results quickly and learn lots about handling the materials.

You should run whatever cattle wagon you want. It's your layout and the period and location in which it is set are yours to decide. Just use the one you like the look of most.

Well done!

Perry

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Great start Phill :thumbs

You might want to extend it all the way around the back of the dock and up to the rails, so that the bales of straw etc that you mention will be loaded and uploaded will not have to be lugged through the cattle pens….just a thought but it would also make an interesting area

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
well done Phill good start there

If you have not actually fixed the balsa ramp yet you will find that with a bit of course sandpaper you could blend in the ramp to floor level easily by holding the ramp in your hand and dragging it across the sandpaper as long as you watch what you are doing it should blend in quite well

Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Just had another look Phil and I have to say that your backboard looks good with that long photo on it, also what ever cattle wagon you have will be just fine…….:hmm Oh of course you have gone GWRRRRRRRRRRR So you had better talk to Jeff :mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=285]Alan[/user] wrote:
 Oh of course you have gone GWRRRRRRRRRRR So you had better talk to Jeff :mutley

Tut still alot of jealous folk on here i see, just cause GWR knew how to build wagons, :thumbs

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=9]phill[/user] wrote:
[user=285]Alan[/user] wrote:
 Oh of course you have gone GWRRRRRRRRRRR So you had better talk to Jeff :mutley

Tut still alot of jealous folk on here i see, just cause GWR knew how to build wagons, :thumbs

Phill
Hve you got any GWR Cattle wagons Phil ?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi, have a look at this site http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/8-yards/y-gooda.htm it really is a hive of informtion.

Nigel:doublethumb
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Looks great Phill - well done to give it a go. :thumbs  There's a good picture of a typical cattle dock in that link from Nigel.

I have no idea if it's "prototype" or not but, if that were my cattle dowc, I'd go one stage further and put a roof over your paved platform.  Any straw stored there would need to be covered against the elements and a simple "pole barn" type of covering with a pitched roof would be easy to do.

As Brian said, just sand the ramp bottom down so it's a snug fit at ground level.  Cattle wagons ?  Yep - just run what you fancy.  If your layout is modern image (and I seem to remember it is) then the "Matilda" type of wagon would be fine.  Steam era tended to have the smaller non-bogie cattle wagons as produced in many liveries by Bachmann.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I wonder if anyone could shed some ideas on how to make straw bales, i have a idea but wondered if anyone has others. I looked at the packs you can buy but they work out expensive for the amount i want.

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Have a look in the Forum Index Phill.

Posted
Rating:
Can't help with the bales, but for 'straw' to scatter, one of these below and a pair of scissors will give you loads of the stuff, and if you are not too vicious you'll have enough bristle left to use it on the shed afterwards! [£3.99 fromWickes….]

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Don't forget to leave some room between the Cattle Dock fencing and the dock edge,so there's room for the gates to open outwards from the enclosures.

Also there has to be room for the cattle truck doors to swing fully open and lie against the sides of the truck and room for the fall flap to go down onto the dock.

This photo should help a little bit, it's murky, but it's the only reference I have readily to hand showing the loading of cattle with the gates open - LNWR cattle dock fencing.  The white thing on the far gate post is the base of a lamp, the actual lamp glazed pot is missing.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Oooops and here's one I did earlier, fencing/gates set back from the front edge - Mikes Models Lamp, scratch built fencing, Slaters brickwork……

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
What about shaping some from fimo and baking them in the oven http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fimo-Classic-Polymer-Modelling-Clay-White-P-P-Disount-/270570498586?pt=UK_Crafts_PapercraftTools_RL&hash=item3eff422a1a this ones white but lots of colours available. Useful for lot of uses around the layout

Nigel :hmm
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ok i have had some time off today, may be losing my job so thats a worry, been looking around but nothing. Got a meeting today to find out what is happening. So to take my mind of it i have returned to my layout.

Now as you can see in the pic below have built a small platform so far alongside the cattle pen. Someone suggested i go all the way round with it, well thats what i am doing at the mo, bit of nightmare but i have come up with a plan and well when i post a pic i expect i will get some comments when i have posted a pic.

Once its built the floor will need doing around it. I have decided to have a open platform going round the track to the other side, reason is so i can store some old farm gear in there, bit like you see in these place's. I spotted this when i was doing some research.

Watch this space for another installment. :thumbs

Still looking round for a csttle wagon.

Phill

Last edit: by phill

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hello Phill,

Sorry to hear about your possible job-loss situation - that's one 'ell of a change in just one week, mate, what's brought that about? Hang-in there,

Kind Regards,

Michael Thornberry.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Let us know how you get on, Phill.
Best of luck.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Sorry to hear about your job Phill, I'm in the same situation but I got to wait until December 6th before it's confirmed that I'm redundant. (I said redundant NOT repugnant!):hmm
Anyway, the dock is looking just fine.
Just one suggestion and that is to fill the gap under the ramp. It needs to be solid to take the weight of them Bulls!

Cheers for now.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.