The Four Seasons

Posted
Rating:
#96104 (In Topic #5103)

An idea for a modular roundy-roundy

Having seen ( and of course participated in) the excellent Modular layout, I 've considering what I should do next ( 'next' being a relative term, based on completing the projects already under way…).

Owen's corner module and Brian's two different time based ones, plus my intention as stated elsewhere to build more of my own modules has led me to……..
…… The Four Seasons layout. This will be four, identical modules, based on a wide, 90 deg curve, double track concept, so the all fit together to create a complete circle. When I say identical, the topography of each module will be the same, but each will represent a different season of the year. I'll use standard YMR connection design, so should there be a chance, they could join to others at some point in the future. Also, I will be able to extend the layout from a circle to an oval, possibly including a station and fiddle yard as the additions.

The scene (x4) I envisage is a simple hill, with the tracks curving around on a cut-out 'shelf', with a straight-ish single track road providing a means to hide each exit with an over bridge. (Imagine a circle with a square overlaid so the corners touch the circle. Each of the four sides of the square will be the roads, and the scenic breaks will be the diagonals of the square).

Don't panic if that's still as clear as mud, I'll do a diagram later.

I also want this to be completely rural, a large step for me, but having seen St. Mawgan and Kernow Junction, I have some great layouts from which to copy techniques.

Hopefully I'll be able to start this project this year, but it won't be a fast build ( well, not too fast).

Last edit: by Stubby47

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I like this idea very much and it will be an interesting challenge to get the modules the same but completely different from the season point of view .

As its rural much of this can be done by following the farming year so you could have a ploughed field in winter , new growth in spring , fully grown crop being harvested in summer  and stubble in the autumn. Likewise livestock could be lambs in spring that are full grown sheep in the autumn , as well as the different colour foliage for each time of the year and not forgetting weather variations.

Will look forward to you developing this idea.

Last edit: by Wheeltapper

Richard. A sorely missed member who lost a brave battle in 2012.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I really like the sound of that idea, I look forward to watching this project develop in the future.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I like the sound of this idea!

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Sounds like a great idea. :thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Now this will be worth watching Stu - an excellent idea and, given the theme, a rural setting is IMHO, essential. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
As promised, this is a rough sketch of the layout idea. Each season occupies one 1/4 of the layout, leaving a central operating well - I might endevour to make the backscene circular as well.

The single section then shows the proposed topography, witha gate and cattle creep. Below that is a cross-section of approximately the long diagonal.

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
This sounding a good idea, watching this with interest

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=465]Stubby47[/user] wrote:
As promised, this is a rough sketch of the layout idea. Each season occupies one 1/4 of the layout, leaving a central operating well - I might endevour to make the backscene circular as well.

The single section then shows the proposed topography, witha gate and cattle creep. Below that is a cross-section of approximately the long diagonal.

In the imortal words of Mr  Cbris  Trerise " I think the green and blue squares need moving 2mm to the right" :mutley

I once saw a very effective circular central well backscene made with two Hoola Hoops for top and bottom supports.

Last edit: by Wheeltapper

Posted
Rating:
Rest assured, Chris will be very much involved with this layout… " Can I have four of these, please, oh, and four of those too?", and probably four of lots more bits as well…. ( but I won't need four blue diesels!)

P.S. This is in the Member's ideas thread, please don't expect any real progress for at least two months( unless I change my mind, of course…).

Last edit: by Stubby47

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=465]Stubby47[/user] wrote:
Rest assured, Chris will be very much involved with this layout… " Can I have four of these, please, oh, and four of those too?", and probably four of lots more bits as well…. ( but I won't need four blue diesels!)

He's going to love you as a customer!! ( that is of course unless you ask him for a bulk d……t price)   :mutley

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Interesting concept.
I remember seeing an 0 gauge layout (at Warley I think) that used three identical layouts. Each one done as a different season. the layout boards rotated on what can be described as a Bar B Q spit type mechanism. the operator would close the curtains in front of the layout, rotate the scene and then reopen the curtains on a different season. Really clever.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
good idea, wull have to keep an eye on this as it developes.
:thumbs:lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Yeah saw that one Frank i think the guy dovetailed two doors and therefore ended up with 1 scene with four seasons turned exactly as you describe .Would that be the one ?.Ages ago now . I remember it attracted a lot of attention. Ita a pity that Brians (hp) two sets were so separated ( allthough i understand why .) As to  the casual observer it may not have been apparent that it was the same scene . perhaps the info notice made that clear . We knew though  didn't we.:thumbs I don't think i am ever going to forget that weekend, and meeting the guys and gals.

reg

Posted
Rating:
[user=15]owen69[/user] wrote:
good idea, wull have to keep an eye on this as it developes.
:thumbs:lol::lol::cool:
Owen, that's a rather ironic point of view from you… sorry to read about your recent problems.

Stu

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
It would be a good idea to build the modules to match the YMR track standards. That may be handy, at some time in the future, to form 3 or 4 corners of a YMR modular roundy-roundy.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Jeff , I fully intend to make these compatible with the YMR connection standards -however, they will also be made to join together conventionally as well, with bolts and locating pins.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I like this idea and along with everyone else I'm looking forward to seeing it.
I trust you'll be having a push button in the fashion of Geoff's Underground module, that plays Vivaldi ;-)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=3]Gwent Rail[/user] wrote:
 That may be handy, at some time in the future, to form 3 or 4 corners of a YMR modular roundy-roundy.

Danger!  Danger!  Jeff's planning the next one….

:Red Card:Red Card:Red Card:Red Card:pedal:pedal:pedal

Posted
Rating:
Did Vivaldi write "Mind the Doors" ?

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.