The Bridge

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user

from Hornby magazine May 2010 & one purchased recently.

Novice Bob, the ones from Hornby mag are simple - well relatively.  The shed/warehouse on the platform at Barnstable http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=4447&forum_id=101 was the freebie as well & also downloadable at no cost - I modified it & that took a bit longer.
I did the North Light Engine shed first & added a bay, now that took time and I have this to build yet http://www.scalescenes.com/products/T026-Factory-warehouse

and I can only repeat what Geoff said about them - if you muck it up, reprint the page.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Disguise the flaws with weathering, would you?  I like your style :thumbs

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Lovely job,Ron.I really like the mellow weathered look of the Scalescenes bricks.The Metcalfe kits by contrast always look too "new" to my eyes,damn fine kits though they are!;-)

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Excellent Job Sol…………..looks really good

I tried one of the free downloads and it was ok but not great but after your demo I think I should perservere. Like you I have a Warehouse Kit which I have yet to start!

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
While the "freebie" as above suited the location perfectly, I needed a larger version to span one track and an adjacent road to be used as a seperating scenic block between two of my stations.
I had intended to use the Scalescenes Concrete bridge but tracks underneath did not fit so I altered my plans and now will use Scalescenes Arch Bridge R011.

This photo shows the overall concept ( supplied by John Wiffen of Scalescenes with thanks).

It is brick but mine will be with random Ashlar stone.

for thick card, I am using the brand favoured by our resident card & paper expert Dooferdog- that is, using Cornflako card.
Two lots of card glued together on the smooth sides ( roughed up with heavy duty coarse sand paper) with a general purpose glue & weighted overnight.
These are the 3 glues used

The Bostik BluStik ( glue stick) for the printed papers to card; Tarzan's Grip for joining card to card : and the Fine Tip PVA applicator for gluing edges. The Fine Tip is perfect & I thank PeterMac for pointing this out some time ago ( well I think it was PeterMac and if I am wrong, I will be :oops: )

Now to really get started. More photos, etc will be coming ( & yes, so is Christmas exclam: )

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Looking forward to this build sol and yes, it was me who pointed my fine tip at you ………………..sorry, I meant "pointed you towards the fine tip" ………anyone who builds in card and hasn't already got one, should do so immediately !!!  :cheers

What exactly is the Tarzan glue Sol ?  Is it like Evostick - a solvent glue, or more of a PVA ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Looking good Ron.  I also found the inside top of the arch the most difficult part of this kit to fit properly.  Which matt spray did you use?

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Peter, Tarzan's Grip does dissolve foam styrene - it is like a clear contact cement.

Terry, I use a matt spray obtained from Art & Craft shops but on some I also used a gloss spray from paint sections  which is far cheaper than Artists' matt & then only needing one quick coat of matt.
I had no real problem doing the arch - about 10 minutes of trial & error.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
[user=0]Sol[/user] wrote:
The abutments - glossy surface of the Hornby mag paper will be eradicate with  matt spray varnish later. Taking a copy for reference is very helpful as bending paper on blue mark points is hard when cutout & the mark points disappear

Bends are done using sharp edge of a steel ruler. Flat surfaces glued using a Glue stick, bends are done with a smear of supa glue run along the card edge.

Just a tip that might help with the disappearing fold lines, place a ruler along the line prior to bending/cutting and pierce through with a sharp point in two or three places along the line. This will give true set of marks showing clearly on the plain back surface, so that a folding crease can be made on the 'inside' of the fold.

See 'Scoring before bending' in the link below…

https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/Features/Practical_BRM-_Cardboard_Modelling_the_Scalescenes_Way_Part_1/

Hope this helps,

Doug

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Thanks Doug- - one for our Index I think.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Slowly getting there - I made the arch bricks/stone stand out for somemore relief.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
The easy part is done ……

now to build it into the scenery especially on the left hand side with the road extending over terrain

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Aha! Will we be seeing the infamous 'mirror beside the bridge to make a double bridge worth…'?

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Not sure how I am going to handle this right now, my mind is currently on other things like my homehot water heater is giving brown water at odd times ( well, it is 16 years plus) so it has to be replaced so that is quite lot of modelling money !!

Ron

Posted
Rating:
The bridge looks excellent Sol. :thumbs  Looking forward to seeing the roadway take shape. 

You could always incorporate a muddy creek somewhere to use up some of that brown water ………..:hmm  We had one (a water heater) replaced a year or so back and it wasn't fitting the new one that caused the problems, it was getting the old one out of the attic !!!  A 300 litre lagged tank half full of limescale weighs quite a bit on an old man's shoulders ………:cheers

"Bon chance" as we say here ……………;-)

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Ken
Inactive Member
That's a great looking bridge Sol, very well done.   (Thinks: how about trying one in N scale and winging it my way?) :lol::lol::lol:

Ken

Last edit: by Ken

'It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Swing'

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sorry Ken, N is not my thing - Marty would be better at it than me !

Edge work under way with the road:-

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
In between many other things, slowly the bridge ground work coming together

thin plaster coat over PVA soaked cleaning cloths.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That's going to break up that long run on that side.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Hi Sol,

I'm sure you've thought it out Ron but there doesn't look as though there will be much room for the road by the time you've allowed for the 10ft way and a boundary structure/fence of some sort.

Regards,
Trevor
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.