The Bridge

Posted
Rating:
#88836 (In Topic #4809)
Sol
Guest user

from Hornby magazine May 2010 & one purchased recently.

As mentioned in my Barnstable thread, I will be building an overway bridge in the corner using the Scalescenes unit ( freebie) from the May 2010 issue of the Hornby Mag..

It will take time but I will post photos as I go.

The first one are the orginals pages from the mag., ( I have copied them in case I make a mistake)

the card ;white is almost 2mm - a printers off cut - perfect;  the grey is cereal box card laminated with another piece to give 1mm

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I'm really chuffed that you are doing this in card Ron.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
The abutments - glossy surface of the Hornby mag paper will be eradicate with  matt spray varnish later. Taking a copy for reference is very helpful as bending paper on blue mark points is hard when cutout & the mark points disappear

Bends are done using sharp edge of a steel ruler. Flat surfaces glued using a Glue stick, bends are done with a smear of supa glue run along the card edge.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Just cut one arch out & it is not that tall, 68mm / 2 5/8ths of an inch.
Not high enough for double stacks or even possibly the new Bachmann Double Level car transporters 38-250 coming out. Of course it can be rectified by copying the  sides/abutments but it won't need to be done on my layout as I don't or won't be running double stacks.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Watching this one with interest Ron, thanks for sharing the build with us.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Some more

This is the approx position - the hardest part was the curved Arch which is paper then the heavier card added for support.

General idea of its location in regard to Barnstable.

Now to continue adding bits.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Looks nice and sturdy Ron

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
A tip as a result of a problem.

When cutting thin strips ( 3mm wide) of laminated card for edges, I found the lamination coming apart - Grrrr.

Sorted it out but I realize what happened.

Two large pieces of card - one covered almost all over with PVA, the other card sat on top & weighted but parts of the lamination was missing some glue & these parts, I had to cut out the thin strips.

So the tip is, when laminating, make sure ALL surfaces have glue !!! Paint it on, not just rub the nozzle with over the card.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
It all looks good so far Ron.I really like the look of these Scalescenes things.I think I might invest in a few downloads from their website and try 'em out for myself.

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Well worth the effort John.

I built the free goods depot thingy and was pleased with the result.

I've also got a few different textures that I've used in bridges, platform edges etc.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Looking very good Ron.

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Finished, sprayed matt & will be weathered later when it is installed into the spot properly

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Good work, Ron.
I like the colours.
I expect the little gap top right will close up when the bottoms of the pillars are fixed.
You've certainly done a good job on the corners.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
nice job Ron, still got it it even at your age the old eyes i mean :mutley:pedal

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
DD, yes the camera shows that gap but due to the angle it will be installed at as per earlier photos, I doubt that it will be seen. Bit of weathering will also hide sins.

Thanks Phill, see you can do it to if I can at my age !!!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:wowI take it all back.  Only joking, Sol.  It looks very good.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Very good result Sol. Roughly how long did it all take? Certainly a cost effective solution when compared with ready made or plastic kits.

Bob(K)

Last edit: by Bob K

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
I suppose Bob, if I kept at it & took no major breaks ( just getting coffee only)- 3 hours maximum. Used glue stick & Super glue. Cutting the 2mm card takes time.
I think it will take a lot more than 2 hours to install it with the hill structure, etc.
I am happy with it but it has slowed down a bit - yesterdays Op sesion showed up the problem of no ideal headshunt one way & the other too short so a small bit of gangers work required & some changes to the card system.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=95]Sol[/user] wrote:
I suppose Bob, if I kept at it & took no major breaks ( just getting coffee only)- 3 hours maximum. Used glue stick & Super glue. Cutting the 2mm card takes time.
I think it will take a lot more than 2 hours to install it with the hill structure, etc.
I am happy with it but it has slowed down a bit - yesterdays Op sesion showed up the problem of no ideal headshunt one way & the other too short so a small bit of gangers work required & some changes to the card system.

Oh, that's much less time than I would have thought. Worth considering using these freebee card kits then?

Bob(K)

Posted
Rating:
Nice job there, Sol. I know that you had this kit with the Hornby mag, but even downloading doesn't cost very much, and the great thing about it is that you can print out the sheets as often as you like. So if you make a mistake, you just print another sheet. Also if you want to repeat a model like terraced houses for example, you only need a single download and can print as many "kits" as you need. A bargain, I say.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.