00 Gauge - Ottersford Junction, GWR 1920's

Posted
Rating:

5 times longer in coming than Brunel took making the real thing!

Thanks for all the kind comments guys.  The vet called Friday with the results of the biopsy & has put Cindy on Chemotherapy - he won't of course commit himself as to how long she might have.  Unbelievably, we lost our 2 year old GSD to exactly the same thing last year - talk about lightening striking twice!  Anyway, Cindy has had an OK weekend - she's got her appetite back (she hadn't eaten for three days which is why we went to the vet in the first place) & you would have to know her to realise there was anything wrong.  However, little Max last year was gone in four weeks after diagnosis so we're keeping fingers crossed.

Sol - thanks for the links.  Great - I've now got to cut wires & mess about on the 40+ points for this layout.  Yippee!  I have had that blade shorting problem since I converted Easewood to DCC so it's probably better to be safe & do the modification.
Brian - you know we only read the instructions when all else fails!! :oops:

Michael - we came over from Southport in the North West - the seaside town without any sea!

Anyway, should be getting some funds in next week that will enable me to buy the rest of the wood needed to complete the baseboards. I can't really start laying the track proper for Ottersford as you will see from the plan that at the right-hand end of the station it gets quite complicated with multi-levels, the main line crossing an estuary & the dock branch - & all on a curve - so I need to get the 'vee' bridge built before I can get the alignments!  Didn't want to start with anything simple!

Been building a PC Models coach kit today that I've had for years - deary me, everything takes so long!  Most of the day spent on my hands & knees trying to find some 4mm x 1mm wafer thin transfers that a small gust of wind had caught before I had time to fix them - one of the perils of an outdoor workbench. I'll post some pics if it ever gets finished!

Cheers for now.

Mal

All stressed out, got addled brains?
Ride your bike or play with trains!
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Sorry to hear about Cindy Mal.

I hope you've got your "dangly wire" sorted

Bozzy(never known to pass a pub)

Posted
Rating:

Well, I’m still waiting for a couple of deals to come off so I can buy the rest of the baseboards, so in the meantime I’ve been doing a bit more work on Easewood, that has now acquired a goods shed (Wills Craftsman).  My first attempt at weathering a building. 

I've also done a bit of work on the platform but I'm waiting for a water crane & some lamps to complete.  Old Jim the porter is very pleased with the blooms on his peonies this year!

Thought I'd get away with just painting the tank on that Prairie - the camera is cruel!

As it seems to be 'tree season' on the Forum, I thought I'd have a go.  First up, two made from a Woodland Scenics kit I've had for donkey's years.

Station Road, Easwood on a quiet afternoon.  Station stables at the end of the road.

Looking across the station from the footpath to the loco shed.

I'm now making one from twisted wire & glue gun, but I started it before I read Marty's post about dipping in gunge!  I've just ordered 70 trees from China on EBay for the princely sum of £15!  I don't know how good they will be but they sure will save some time!  I'll post when I've received them.

I've also invested in a static flock applicator - as Chris Nevard said, it's only the same price as that next loco you don't really need.  I got one from the States for $80 - again, I'll post when I've given it a try.  Just waiting for some flock!

Cheers for now.

Mal

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
What super photos Mal, that good shed is excellent nad the tree is super as well. 

Last edit: by spurno

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Yes I'm liking this too Mal, what a super layout. Great photos, I love the shot of Station Road.

I'm not sure about that lime-washing on the cattle wagon though as I believe I read somewhere that the practice ceased (was banned) in the early 1920's.

Note to myself - must take some photos of Much Murkle with some stock on.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nick - I'm modelling pre-grouping so early 20's we are in (allegedly)!

Posted
Rating:
[user=380]Kaiser[/user] wrote:
Hi Nick - I'm modelling pre-grouping so early 20's we are in (allegedly)!

That's ok then Mal;-)

Is that an old Prototype Models (at least that's who I think it was) stable block facing down Station Road ?

Posted
Rating:
Lovely work Mal, re the 'dangly wire' see here, hope it helps!

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=6684&forum_id=11&highlight=putter-on

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Mal some great work there you are really starting to make that look very impressive.

I like the Wills kits myself when someone first buys them and opens the box they get a shock when all you get is the wills sheets and drawings but after you have done a few you get into the routine of doing them.

Keep up the good work Mal

Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
The branch is looking really good Mal……I am enjoying this thread a lot

I was sorry to hear about your dogs…..the same thing happened to us a few years ago…..its a devastating experience

Michael - we came over from Southport in the North West - the seaside town without any sea!

Small world……..I originally came from Formby!

Regards from Vancouver

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Nice scenes, Mal.
Give Cindy a pat for me.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hmmm, I've got a cousing in South Africa, might have to see about a visit in a couple of years time and arrange an operating session on Ottersford Junction at the same time.

Coming along very nicely  Mal. I too like the shot along station road.

Did you weather the roof of the goods shed? it still looks a little too clean for my eyes.  The walls and detail are great.

… and well done for joining in the October Tree Project. Did you find the Woodland Scenics tree pack worth while?

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
A lovely layout Mal and some great pics of it as well, thanks.

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hello Mal,
          Part of my favourite era(1898-1938). The Goods Yard is that "busy doing nothing, but, you can feel the energy going in to it". Love the Station Road and Cottage. I hope "woofter" is responding well to treatment,
                         Kind Regards,
                      Michael Thornberry.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Bisto

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for all kind comments guys - & concern for Cindy

It's now 6 weeks since diagnosis.  She had on Monday her 3rd Chemo. treatment, & just like humans she has good days & bad days.  She was fine till Wed then went right off her food & everything else. Today she's full of beans, been for a walk round the park, eaten half a kilo of roast ham & chased the chickens round the garden.  She says thanks to Bisto for his concern but she still won't share her bone

(Just checked this post & the gremlins have struck again & deleted everything after this so will now redo everything & try again.)

(I think I've found what the problem is.  If I upload photos from the 'my photos' section of the forum, & then insert them to a post using 'insert photos from gallery'  I don't have a problem.  But if I start a post & then use 'upload new photo for insertion'. it jaspers the whole post, but only after you press 'send' - up till then everything looks OK.  Anyone else had this??)

I'll do another post for everything else.

Last edit: by Kaiser

Posted
Rating:
OK, 2nd try for this post.

Marty - I did weather the roof but this photo was taken just after a heavy fall of rain :mrgreen:! I'd had the Woodland's kit for some time.  I found it very easy, but they are expensive now (especially here) at about £12 for a 3 tree kit.  I've just finished my first 'twisted wire & glue gun' tree:

Reasonably pleased with it but I think it needs more branches.  The gap on the right further up the road is where a low relief Station Master's house & a pub will be - it will be my first attempt at scratch building as I can't find a suitable kit. (& I think that wall needs some buttresses).

The cost was next to nothing except time, & I think if you could work out a production line then it's not worth the cost of the Woodland's.  I'm interested to see what my 'Chinese' trees will be like (£15 for 70) as if they are any good for that price it's not worth making them.

Marty - if you, or any other member of the forum, wants to come visit SA then you are more than welcome to stay.  We don't work & have plenty of room, so if you don't mind dog hairs & slobber (Sandra can get excited) then we can have a good time. (Can also go on some brilliant bike rides).

Nick - the stable is a 'Builder Plus' kit I got off Ebay some time - don't know if they are still in production.

I scored the roof tiles & wood detail for a bit of relief (to the building, not me) & the Ivy hides the corner joins!  I made the trough out of balsa wood & the water is Sandra's clear nail varnish.  The station gates need a re-paint.

John - small world indeed.  My Mum was born in Freshfield & lived in Formby most of her life.  I've had many a long dog walk in the Pinewoods!  Don't know when you left but it's full of posh scousers now!

I got a note this morning that my parcel of static fibres had arrived.  Went up to the Post Office but they had been raided last night & had all their computers stolen so they couldn't process anything!  Was looking forward to using my new static gun this weekend.  Ah well, lots of other things to do!

Cheers for now

Mal

Posted
Rating:

Nick - the stable is a 'Builder Plus' kit I got off Ebay some time - don't know if they are still in production.

Ah yes, Builders Plus, that's the one. Don't think it's available anymore but a nice little building that's just crying out for Doug to do his own interpretation;-)

Posted
Rating:
Love the 'rockery'.
The rest looks good too.

The Red Squirrels in Formby are good to see but they've become very imprinted on the visitors' nuts.
(I know what I mean).

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:

I scored the roof tiles & wood detail for a bit of relief (to the building, not me) & the Ivy hides the corner joins!  I made the trough out of balsa wood & the water is Sandra's clear nail varnish.  The station gates need a re-paint.

Thats a charming cameo Mal……very nicely modelled.

When one considers how prevalent the use of Horses on the Railways was….. right up to Nationalisation, its amazing you dont see more stables on branch layouts (I am embarrassed to say mine is off scene on Granby;-))

Even when the horses were gone the buildings,which by virtue of their original purpose were quite distinctive, remained. Often converted to garages or stores. But as I said ,rarely modelled and I dont know of any kits currently available……maybe another "really useful building for Ddolfelin? 

John - small world indeed.  My Mum was born in Freshfield & lived in Formby most of her life.  I've had many a long dog walk in the Pinewoods!  Don't know when you left but it's full of posh scousers now!

I have been in Canada for 30 years now so I would guess its before your time. I lived there when I was at school from 1947- 1955. I did my basic Army Training there as well…..and then we lived there after I was married from 1967-1972. We lived on a development not far from the Pinewoods, built on a field I used to herd cows across when I was a boy.  The Army Depot had long gone as well and we ex locals used to irritate the posh scousers  living in the new houses there by calling it the"Barracks Estate" ……………..all a long time ago

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.