Rating:
#82884 (In Topic #4573)
Guest user

The Scalefour Society Diesel and Electric competition winner 2008

Have a look, it's classy, original and a very atmospheric piece of modelling:

http://portchullin.fotopic.net/

I particularly like this view:

http://newimages.fotopic.net/?iid=yv8zso&outx=800&quality=70

And I have to say that I'd really like to live in that house! Wouldn't it be grand?

Cheers
Simon
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Outstanding :exclam
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I saw that layout at the Leytonstone exhibition last year. It is truly stunning.

If I can work out how to upload photos I'll post some of the ones I took of it.

Julian

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Softvark just click on the blue Gallery link to the right of the big members choice picture and there you can upload up to five pictures at a time into the Gallery. If your pictures are larger than 800x600 then the software will automatically resize them for you. When you have done that then start your new post from the Reply button at the bottom of the previous post, don't use the Quick Reply panel. If you are starting a new topic then you will be in there from the start. There you will see 'Insert existing photo from Gallery'. Click on that and you will see the pictures you previously uploaded into the gallery. Click on the one you want and it will automatically place itself into your post. You can do this with as many pictures as you like. If you are pasting more than one without text between them then just make sure you hit the Return key about 3 times to leave a space between the photographs. You can put as many pictures in the Gallery as you wish as long as they are all model railway related.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hello Julian,

It would be great to see your photos of the layout…

Cheers
Simon
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks Bob, it was quite straightforward.

Here are the photos I took which were under the layouts normal exhibition lighting so it required a steady hand on the camera which, as you can tell, I didn't always manage!

Julian

Posted
Rating:
I suppose it would be churlish of me to say anything but nice things about this layout.
However, I've seen work on YMR which matches and overtakes this in atmosphere and quality.
Lots of good work to admire though and I expect it's still a work in progress.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Many thanks for posting the excellent photos Julian!

Hello ddolfelin, I believe the layout was built within a challenge timescale set by the DEMU and Scalefour Society; it appears that it was started in 2007 and was judged a year later. It had to be transportable by two people in a family car as part of the rules. To have created something of this quality in P4 in a year is quite an achievement. This is how it looked at the 2008 Scaleforum when it won the title:

http://portchullin.fotopic.net/c1592948.html

I still think it is a cracker of a layout and represents something a bit off the beaten track as far as the numerous staid "modern" image model railways one sees these days. I'd be interested to know which layouts on this forum you think match Portchullin in atmosphere and quality, etc (bar P4 New Street of course which is well known for its stature)?

Cheers
Simon
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I love the rockwork, Julian - and the pile of rocks and dirt dumped to support the spur - and the buildings - it's all very good!  Tick, VG; elephant stamp :exclam

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
[user=452]Rustyrail[/user] wrote:
 I'd be interested to know which layouts on this forum you think match Portchullin in atmosphere and quality, etc (bar P4 New Street of course which is well known for its stature)?

Cheers
Simon

Perhaps parts of this layout Simon?

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=5763&forum_id=21&highlight=swanhurst

That is one for starters.

Though Portchullin for a portable layout is VG.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Simon:

Under the circumstances you describe, I'm sure the layout was an achievement.
Beauty is, however, in the eye of the beholder and we all have different preferences.

None of us (especially me) are going to learn if we all chip in to heap praise on whatever picture is shown regardless.

There are certain things that spoil layout dioramas for me and I may be alone in these.
Examples might be: Buildings that do not appear to reach the ground, unfenced railway operations, level crossing gates which won't span the tracks and a manual operated signal with a ladder parked outside a pub.

Look at the quality of rocky outcrops produced by many YMR members. They look real and not an afterthought.

There is much to like about Portchullin.
The stone hut is a work of art and beautifully painted for example.

But, as I say, it's all in the eye of the beholder … and, what do I know?

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I think with all images posted one has to bear in mind a layout can look completely differant due to photographic conditions and skill or not of the photographer

In this case these are snapshots at an exhibition taken by Julian so he hardly would have had good conditions.

If one of the magazines did a photo shoot the results would be vastly differant.

That said i will say the skill of a photgrapher can sometimes in my view mislead you.

I have seen layouts photographed that perhaps are in magazines and look superb because of the work of a photographer and a bit of photoshopping and i have then seen the layout  in real life and i have been dissapointed.

Many of us are useless with a camera point and click thats as far as it goes i know often when i take photos the result looks crap compared to what i see with my eye often.

This particular layout looks lovely to me and im sure with better photos it would stand out well

Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I can only apologise again about the poor quality of my photos. As has been pointed out they are only "snapshots" taken under exhibition conditions for my own pleasure and were never intended for wider distribution. I'm equally sorry if they are promoting a poor interpretation of the qualities of this layout which to me, being familiar with the approximate location of the imagined line, are excellent.

I think I'd better delete them to avoid any unintended comeback to the builder of the layout.

Julian

Posted
Rating:
Your photographs are excellent for the conditions, Julian.

There is no comeback to the builder.
As I say, there is much to admire.

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Please leave them Julian - they give us something to strive for even just for details. If I can get anywhere near that, I will be happy.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=443]Softvark[/user] wrote:
I can only apologise again about the poor quality of my photos. As has been pointed out they are only "snapshots" taken under exhibition conditions for my own pleasure and were never intended for wider distribution. I'm equally sorry if they are promoting a poor interpretation of the qualities of this layout which to me, being familiar with the approximate location of the imagined line, are excellent.

I think I'd better delete them to avoid any unintended comeback to the builder of the layout.

Julian

Hello Julian!

Don't delete your photos; speaking as a photographer and film maker myself, I can tell you that they are excellent and show this lovely layout in a flattering way. They don't do an injustice to the layout's builder! Not in the slightest…

The problem most people have taking pictures of layouts, especially in the smaller scales is adequate depth of field (DOF) and capturing an angle that one might see in reality as an observer. The only picture of yours here that suffers in this way is the close up of the signal box and hotel. Model railway magazine photography is nothing extraordinary (although some would have you believe otherwise); it just relies on decent spotlights (or proper bounced flash with umbrellas), some knowledge of lighting, a tripod and a "camera". It is possible to take perfectly acceptable layout photos with a point and shoot that is supported in some way (tripod; resting on the layout itself, etc) with the scene illuminated sufficiently, if the camera does not have very slow shutter speeds, to get the highest f stop possible and thus a good depth of field. However, if a slow shutter speed is utilised as a substitute for decent lighting, noise will become an issue, unless you have access to something like a Nikon D3 (with it's full 35mm frame sensor) shooting uncompressed RAW files.

As we all know most model photos will be manipulated in post production using photo editing software and so even a less than perfect shot can be "enhanced" (often the contrary in my opinion). And now artificial backgrounds (sky, etc) will be added on as a "layer" to tidy up the view and give that added air of realism.

Now, your photos are straight out of the camera and have excellent DOF for the lighting conditions, good colour saturation, and even the views you chose are good. They would look fine in a magazine. With digital cameras (virtually any model) anyone can take a stunning picture if they know how to use the camera properly and have an eye for composition. With film cameras (real photography) a lot more skill and practice is necessary.

If you look at some of the so called good model railway photos out there, you'll  see areas that are out of focus. Unless one uses a technical camera, such as a 5 X 4  this will always be a possibility. 35mm photography, even with top of the range SLR's, DOF will always be an issue in this context. For example, the photos I've taken for my layout thread here are just snapshots and are not good as photographs - they're not intended to be. They have terrible DOF and rely on the dreaded flash as a light source. I took them with a broken and old point and shoot, as it's the only camera I have with me at present.

Cheers
Simon
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=443]Softvark[/user] wrote:

Julian

Dont you dare!

good pics of a V nice layout. 

Cheers

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright

Rule 1 - Model what you really see and not what you think you know!
www.p4newstreet.com

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Well, I liked it.  For me the gates don't have to span the tracks, they have to span the road.  I guess it's what you get used to.  There are many locations around my home where the tracks have no fences.  Some really beautiful places in the Adelaide hills.  Across the road from the houses is the right of way for the single line which joins Adelaide and Melbourne.  Lots of freight and passenger trains and not a fence in sight.  Mebbee I should take a piccy next time I'm in the area.

Come to think of it, my layout has some unfenced track - quite a lot in fact.  :oops:

Posted
Rating:
Sorry Max.
I didn't realise it was in Australia. ;-)

I bet some of your mates would have some fun with the signal when they rolled out of the pub.
Many a bridegroom would be tied naked to the top on their stag do I expect.

Seriously, I reiterate: In my opinion it's very good in parts.

We might just as well have a rubber stamp saying 'Perfect' if that is all we are able to courteously contribute to a thread.

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hello again ddolfelin,

Can you tell us which layouts you prefer to this one on the forum? Not as a competition, but for curiosity's sake? The reason I like this layout, apart from its very nice rendition of Scottish atmosphere, is that it looks right in a prototypical sense (track, stock, buildings, etc). It's not that it is P4 either; if it were in OO I would like it just as much. It is a true model railway; the type that allows the operator at home to lose him or herself in the location - as if they were actually there. Nothing can be all things to all people of course, but the prototype look, created from real life observation just has added Oomph, particularly when set in a romantic location like this.

All the best
Simon
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.