Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
No pressure, then :question    :pedal
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
How many trams do have already Max, and how many more do you think you will need for the layout

Great start to the new layout, forward planning always hepls in the end, can you have sound in the trams as well.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=285]Alan[/user] wrote:
How many trams do have already Max, and how many more do you think you will need for the layout

Great start to the new layout, forward planning always hepls in the end, can you have sound in the trams as well.
Just this one, so far, Alan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVGOpEiZwNY

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
That's what I thought Max

But asked the question in case I had missed you building another one :roll:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
That's an interesting lighting gantry over your layout Max.

Are the lights the type that screw-contact onto a constantly live wire runner or are they fed separately and the wires just carry them ?

Lighting is, to me,  always a problem with "fixed" layouts - what to use and how to keep them high enough to allow access for working and yet still close enough to give decent light.  Less of a problem on exhibition layouts because they can be built into a fairly low "pelmet".

Here's a shot of the completed wiring, Peter.

You can see the two transformers and the 240 Volt junction box.  I'm not sure if it's clear, but the white cables are carrying the current and the top part of the chocolate block connectors clamp to the high tensile fencing wire, to hold them in their positions.

Maybe this shows it better.  I still have to paint the upper part of the downlights with heat resistant black paint, to stop the light showing out of the tops.  Tomorrow night will do for that.

On another matter, I decided to use Peco Code 75 track as the tram wheels are so tiny.  Guess what!  Peco don't make insulfrog turnouts in code 75 - only electrofrog.  That means I have to modify them to make them DCC friendly!   :roll: 

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
That means I have to modify them to make them DCC friendly!    

No problems at all for a man of your talents Max. ;-)  Next you'll be looking for grooved tramway rail in HO :thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
There is such a thing, Rick?  OMG :shock:

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Not that I've heard of, Max, other than from a very few dedicated tramway modellers who build their own.  But someone here might know different …..
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I don't think I want to know, Rick.  ;-)

I just had a look at the Peco website.  They make insulfrogs in code 83, so that will have to do.  I have 83 meeting 100 where my turntable approach meets the line to the fuel depot.  The difference is significant.  I've still got some 83 offcuts, so I'll stick my one tram on it and have a look.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
It seems there is a supplier somewhere in the Yoo Ess Ovay; just in discussions with a tram buddy now.

AND …..

we may have a winner here:- http://www.greenhobbymodel.com/model%20trains/tt%20tram%20track.htm

And more here, referred to as "girder rail" Custom Traxx - The best in Traction Decals. which seems to be the same thing.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
That lighting setup looks incredibly neat and tidy Max.  (Petermac thinks to self "I really must try harder" !!)

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Having looked at the shots again Max, what are the blue clip-like things ?  Are they just that - clips or are they blue choc. blocks ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Maybe cable ties - can't quite make it out ?   I'm old and you're several thousand miles away !!!!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
It seems I may have to eat humble pie re my statement about double slips on tramways!

A. they definately exist

B. they are rare

C Cant find any pictures to prove it!

Following a PM from Rick  querying where they existed ,I have spoken with several colleagues and tramway officials. They've heard of them but never seen them! It seems the problem is one of definition.  An alternative name for a double slip is a compound slip, but some people call a compound slip anything that isnt just a left or right handed single slip!

Anyway this picture of The grand junction in Prague is interesting. The slips give access to each of the three routes.  thanks to my friend Phil Kelly for the photo;

Mikey

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Mikey, the picture is interesting but they are not slips, just 3 way points - slips are normally  like a diamond crossing with track connecting each diamond
- see the Peco example
http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=7736

or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_switch#Double_slip
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Agreed sol, but i refer you to your own link where slips single or double are referred to (or can be referred to) as double compound points or switches.  as i said it seems to be a definition thing according to what part of the world you live in.  Yes the picture is a three-way point but Prague tramways refer to it as a compound slip.  confused?  I am (not too hard!)

mikey
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks Rick.  The links will stay here, so I can go back to them when I'm ready.  There is also some other good stuff there.  Bonus!

Peter, you are right.  The blue and green thingys are cable ties.  They pull up tight with pliers and keep it all neat.

Thanks also to Mikey and Sol.  I didn't realise that there would be so much interest when I started this thread.  It started out as a way to play with Rr&Co; but , "it's gotten a life of its own, Narelle!"
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.