Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Good to see them put to proper use!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Max how did you find the Ls150 worked is it a very positive throw i am used to throwing points using a CDU but i think im correct in saying with an Ls150 you cant do that?
I have one here i have never used so i am thinking of using it but was unsure how well they throw points peco solenoid type ones
Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Brian, the LS 150 can be used to throw any kind of turnout motor, as you probably know.  I've re-read your question, but I'm still not sure what you are asking.  The LS 150 can deliver enough power to drive the Tortoise motors and can be set (once you decipher the manual), to deliver a pulse of any length.  I have set mine to 2 seconds, which is plenty for a Tortoise.

The way I have mounted the Tortoise with the double pivot gives a terrific amount of back pressure, so it isn't necessary to have the motors stalled to keep the blades in place.  (Important for RR&Co).  The things I like about the Tortoise motors are that they operate on low current and that they don't slam the mechanism of the turnouts.

As I understand it, the current from the LS 150, while being AC, is a bit under spec. for solenoid motors and should be used to drive a CDU, via a relay.

Does any of that help?  :oops: 
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Yes Max the last bit you say for solenoid a Cdu is needed that i use at present but my CDU does All 42 points
With the Ls 150 i assume any Cdu would have to go after the Ls150 otherwise it may blow it up im not sure about that.
If its after either 6 seperate CDU`s or some sort of relay arrangement would be required i would have thought.

I think what i am saying is does the electronics on the ls 150 gets its power from the standard dcc track feed if so thats fine and does the power that sent through the six contacts come from elswhere and does not affect the electronics as it passes through only in that case a CDu could be before the LS150

does that make sense?
Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=52]henryparrot[/user] wrote:
Yes Max the last bit you say for solenoid a Cdu is needed that i use at present but my CDU does All 42 points
With the Ls 150 i assume any Cdu would have to go after the Ls150 otherwise it may blow it up im not sure about that.
If its after either 6 seperate CDU`s or some sort of relay arrangement would be required i would have thought.

I think what i am saying is does the electronics on the ls 150 gets its power from the standard dcc track feed if so thats fine and does the power that sent through the six contacts come from elswhere and does not affect the electronics as it passes through only in that case a CDu could be before the LS150

does that make sense?
Brian

Brian, I looked into the LS150 a while back when the source of my preferred ZTC decoders dried up (they are available again now).

http://www.dcctrains.com/productcompare/sta_dec_comparison_ls150.htm

I just checked and the article is still there. I think you will find it worth reading.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thanks Geoff thats a very good article

Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
You can power the LS 150 from the track bus Brian, but I made a separate power supply from a Toroidal transformer and ran the 16VAC straight into the LS 150. 

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Sorry to make a correction here but the LS150 must be powered from a separate AC power supply.
The only connection to the DCC bus should be J&K terminals to receive the DCC signal when point/s are operated.

Lenz advise max 16v ac  which causes the LS150 to struggle to fire Peco solenoid type point motors.

All my LS150's are powered with 18-20 volt AC 5amp. Yes 18-20v, which I have been doing  for over 7 yrs with no problems what so ever. Have not blown one up yet.

All my points are Peco with surface mounted Peco point motors. Some even have the cheap SPDT Peco switch attached which operate 99%.of the time. Nothing is ever 100%.

I have a number of cross overs(two points op in tandem) that operate with no problems.

I do not have any CDU's.

Don't be frightened to up the power supply voltage to LS150's. As I said, after 7 +yrs the 12  LS150s on my layout have never failed.

Ian

Any DCC is better than no DCC

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=265]Iansa[/user] wrote:
Sorry to make a correction here but the LS150 must be powered from a separate AC power supply.
The only connection to the DCC bus should be J&K terminals to receive the DCC signal when point/s are operated.

Lenz advise max 16v ac  which causes the LS150 to struggle to fire Peco solenoid type point motors.

All my LS150's are powered with 18-20 volt AC 5amp. Yes 18-20v, which I have been doing  for over 7 yrs with no problems what so ever. Have not blown one up yet.

All my points are Peco with surface mounted Peco point motors. Some even have the cheap SPDT Peco switch attached which operate 99%.of the time. Nothing is ever 100%.

I have a number of cross overs(two points op in tandem) that operate with no problems.

I do not have any CDU's.

Don't be frightened to up the power supply voltage to LS150's. As I said, after 7 +yrs the 12  LS150s on my layout have never failed.

Ian

Just goes to show you shouldn't guess.  It's the LB 101's and the LR 101s I have hooked up to the track bus.  As I said, I built a separate power supply for my LS 150.  I don't have any solenoid motors, so I don't really know about them.

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.