Road signs link

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

Modern image link

With respect to Alan's comment in particular I then wonder why, in many cases, we are invited to print out copy from a web source?

My example was that of transport timetables.  It is becoming increasingly common to find that these are not displayed at bus / tram stops and that we are referred to a web site or asked to phone the call centre for times.

Once on the web we then find a button within the site (in some cases) which will allow us to print said page(s).  Is that deemed to be granting permission to use the information?

As well I understand Alan's position on his personal site but I suspect the Law may be interpreted differently in cases where information is clearly supplied for the use of the public as opposed to being part of a business intended to generate income.

This only serves to illustrate further the huge gulf between written Law, its interpretation (the "spirit of the Law" as it is sometimes called) and case history and the reality of life which, in the context of modern communications technology, is increasingly several steps ahead of the legal system.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
A better way of looking at this is, if you don't want people to walk in off the street and steal your stuff, you lock your doors.  If you don't want people to walk in off the internet and steal your stuff, lock it up.  There are sufficient ways to protect your intellectual property.  Bleating about people stealing your stuff won't stop them.  You have to take security measures.

I know that in a perfect world people won't steal your stuff, but life ain't like that.

Many "illegal" downloads - particularly of photographs must be done in ignorance.  It's no excuse, but it happens.  If you stick something up on the internet, protect it from being nicked - then if someone tries to steal it, ignorantly or otherwise, it will be blocked.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=316]Gwiwer[/user] wrote:
With respect to Alan's comment in particular I then wonder why, in many cases, we are invited to print out copy from a web source?

Hi Rick

If you are invited to print out something like a timetable then by definition permission is given to do so.  I Have 2 sections on my site where I give the viewer the following permissions

"
       I have been known to write a few words on various railway related things for magazines. Below is a list, some of which can be downloaded by right clicking on the PDF icon and selecting 'save as' (please note some of the files are quite large. You will need Adobe Acrobat to view them which can be downloaded free from here.  
       Naturally all articles are © Myself and must not be reproduced without prior permission

That does not give people free reign to download anything else though.

Cheers

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright

Rule 1 - Model what you really see and not what you think you know!
www.p4newstreet.com

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
It seems to me that the copyright of any thing only seems to affect you if it is your image/file etc, this is our livelihood that we are trying to protect, and it's only when it affects you, will you then realise the situation and also the law.

I have already taken customers to court over this and I would not hesitate to do so again.

But as most don't have anything to protect, they just assume it's okay to copy and use for themselves………………..wrong !

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Spot on Alan

It matters to some of us because copyright theft has a direct effect on our lively hood.  For everyone else its no big deal because everyone does it and it doesnt directly affect them.

In any theft there is a thief and a victim.  People can blame the victims for not taking adequate steps to protect themselves all they like but the thief is still a thief.

Cheers

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright

Rule 1 - Model what you really see and not what you think you know!
www.p4newstreet.com

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Woteeaneesed!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
It's not about blaming the victims.  It's about taking sensible and simple precautions to protect you property.  If you leave your car sitting outside your house and someone steals it, it's wrong.  The theif is a really bad person (until he comes to Court - when he is a misunderstood victim of child abuse, or whatever).  It's still a dumb thing to do.

If you leave unsecured images up on the internet and someone steals them, it's tantamount to entrapment - it's certainly dumb.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Interesting indeed.

Australian law has this to say about copyright & infringement

http://www.ag.gov.au/www/agd/agd.nsf/Page/Copyright_Copyrightquestions_Arethereanyexceptionstoinfringement

and also

Format-shifting
The format-shifting exceptions allow a person to copy certain types of material that he or she owns for private and domestic use into a different ‘format’.  Types of format shifting include:

• copying a book, newspaper or periodical to use in a different format
  • copying a photograph from hardcopy form into an electronic form (eg by scanning into a computer), or from electronic form into hardcopy form (eg by printing a digital file), and

Recently the Australian Government gave formal permission to be able to record TV transmisions similar to the UK

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-applies/c-tvfilm.htm

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
While the format shifting part noted in the above post deals with copying your own work, the same web section talks about fair dealing & 10% rule.
A real nest of vipers indeed.
 As Max mentioned, it is possibly better to lock the file so copying cannot be made - put a watermark into the photos, etc.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
I am finding this download & copyright thing perhaps confusing  because if Government laws allow a percentage of text, etc to be copied for personal use ( & I assume this means , not supplying to others or public display),  I see  two situations regarding the Internet.

For business especially photos that have been taken for re-sale & so your living is dependant in these sales, then certainly downloading is a no-no & the images should be protected by the use of a watermark (the equivalent to locking the car) .

If a viewer of the image requires a copy for their personal use, then contact the owner.

Now for information & photos taken & posted onto the Net for all to see & enjoy.

Again if it is intended to download & send onto others or for financial gain, contact the owner for approval. But if it is intended to be used solely for ones-self, what loss has the owner suffered? Why copyright it?  If you think it is worth something, watermark it.

Courtesy could be followed up to obtain the owners consent ( if the owner provides a contact address) if you think that is required.

If anyone on any forum thinks that my photos/info is of value to them or other modellers, they have my approval to download whatever they like.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.