Comments On Winston's Travels In The UK.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
No I'm not being a party pooper at all.  I just think that if its advertised as the first time its been done, there could be a lot of egg on faces. the idea is great, its just not something i want to participate in, thats all.

mikey
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Mikey, not sure re NRM forum,, did it end up at an Exhibition? At least the YMR wagons should finish up at the Exhibition organised by the forum & KMRC so in that case, it maybe the first being organised by , traveled & then displayed for all to see where they have been.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Couldnt agree more Ron.  you must have seen it yourself perhaps, when somebody says 'first time its been done',  unless its qualified somebody else will say 'oh no its not'. The problem is if its qualified too much it  loses its impact.   As I said i think its a great idea being put into practise

Mikey
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for that Mikey - you are dead right - don't want egg on our faces. 

Even if this isn't exactly a first, maybe they didn't record the mileage covered. :roll::roll:    We can maybe got some continuing drip-feed publicity from "Matilda now leaving Australia and heading for Canada having covered 5 miles"  etc. etc.

Even if we don't get any publicity out of it at all - what the hell !!  We're all having fun doing it - aren't we ? :roll:

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
that was the general idea i think Peter,our oz members are off to a good start too

:doublethumb:lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Yes a great start and I'm looking forword to the UK one.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Looking foward to Winston arriving on the IoW. Re NRM, it is just a wagon (now a tanker thanks to Royal Mail)that just travels around members layouts on different 'tours'. It appeared on Buckley once but due to various reasons and a few indivuals and the fact the forum is grossly undermoderated I got fed up of NRM and quit.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Okay

Where is Winston starting from, and what wagon are we using, or have I missed something :roll:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
No Alan - you haven't missed anything.  I'm just formulating final plans and we'll be away.  Hopefully, I'll have everything in place this weekend.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
That's good Peter

Cause after beating the Aussie's this year, we have to stay ahead of them :roll:

:pedal
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
It's all uphill for "Matilda" Alan whilst "Winston" is all downhill. :thumbs:thumbs:thumbs:thumbs:mutley:mutley:mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
"All uphill" eh?  Matilda has already visited four layouts and her first barbeque ;-)   What chance we see Winston sitting in a pub with a pint of ale?

Winston doesn't have quite so far to go and I realise there is a small problem of white stuff on the ground preventing progress but I'm looking forward to seeing him get under way.

Not to mention a little friendly rivalry (and ribaldry) along the way!!!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
"Up hill" in the sense that she's currently "down under" perhaps :question:question

I wouldn't be suprised if Winston is photographed with a backdrop of Snowdonia, the Yorkshire Moors and in a few pubs during his travels (certainly if he's going to Bozzy). However, unless the weather dramatically improves, certainly not at a barbeque :exclam:exclam 
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hmm, barbequed wagon. Makes a change from sausages I suppose :mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
OK - the latest news flash on "Winston Wagon".

Having had 2 offers of a suitable wagon for the project - one from Phill and one from Jim S-W (my thanks to you both) - as Jim's wagon had an original box, this was selected to make packaging and postage both easier and much safer.  We didn't want to end up with a flat wagon before it got north of Watford !!!!

Jim will put an appropriate livery on "Winston" (soon to be unveiled), photograph it on his layout and dispatch it to Phill.  These two locations will be the "Winston Launch"

The planned route is to travel anti-clockwise around the UK from Phill, ending up in Cornwall.  There are currently 25 "country halts" on the journey so each person is only allowed to hold the wagon for an absolute maximum of 1 working week.  Less if at all possible so we don't have a panic towards August.

Whilst there are one or two date-related slight detours already,  if you are going to be away for several weeks, please let me know so that we don't suffer any delays.

The current proposed route is:

Jim S-W
                          Phill
                          Chris Nevard
                          Wallreg
                          Sparky
                          Tetley
                          Owen
                          Mojo
                          Lawrence
                          Perth Buddy
                          Mikencini
                          Georgejacksongenius
                          Ian Morton
                          Dukedog
                          Wheeltapper
                          Gwent Rail
                          Pnwood
                          Gordons 19
                          ElDavo
                          Geoff R
                          Old Steamer
                          WD198
                          Alan
                          Ken
                          Janner
                          Henryparrot
                          ChrisT

If I've missed anyone out, or my geography needs up-dating - please shout loudly !!!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
As Ian Mortons layout and mine are going to be adjacent (I learnt this morning) at the Warwick Show on March 6th it would make sense to knock off two for one if at all possible if it fits with the travel schedule.

Richard. A sorely missed member who lost a brave battle in 2012.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Richard - it's a possibility and would save some postage costs at the expense of mileage.  Give me 24 hours to look at the routing and see how it would change, then I'll get back to you.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Oh!  Fourth on the list.  I'd better make sure my scenery is looking good sooner rather than later!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Blimey im second so best get my finger out of my ar** and tidy the layout up. Also sort the package to go with it. Of which you shall all see when i take a pic, now how shall i do this :hmm

Phill

Last edit: by phill

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Perth Buddy (Matt) will be providing the layout for both of us, so that is only 1 stop :thumbs
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.