Rating:
BLG
Guest user

Involving all forum members

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I state again my point we need 3 people to organise this and pm Jeff showing an interest.

If this is not done this project will go nowhere because everyone will have their own ideas and eventually people will fall out.

This lesson has been learnt from previuos experiance of trying to organise things with a large number of people pitching in with various ideas it always leads to dissagrement.

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I'm with HP on this.I'd be willing to buy a OO wagon or van,and enter it into the module project,with whatever stickers/badges would be attached to it.
  The idea of sending one wagon around all our members in time for the show,while being a great concept,must be impractical with so little time left.
  If as many members who can,donate a wagon to form a train on the modular layout,perhaps they could also form part of the prize for the winner of the layout??
:hmm

cheers,John.B.:thumbs
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Here is the list of countries as shown on the Members List. I have left Novice's Liberia out because I don't know if he would be able to make the commitment.

United Kingdom
Australia
Canada
Spain
South Africa
France
Austria
Ireland
New Zealand
USA
Sweden
Argentina
Scotland

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
As per usual a great idea gets over complicated (sounds like the storm that blew up when the YMR modules were first discussed!). OK lets take a step back and say what are we trying to achive here?? The inital idea of the YMR modular layout was that we built modules in different countries/contenents and then at some point they would come together at one show. As far as we know this has never been done before and the fact that model rail will be there deserves some decent coverage in their magazine. 

Now getting back to the wagon idea. On the TVGR we had several members who took part. Each member reliveried their wagon of choice with the only requirement that it carried the letters TVGR. The wagons were then sent back and forth between the members and photographed on diffrent layouts. The pics were all posted in one thread and gave the impression that they had actualy traveled via the real rail network to diffrent locations. At one point they all made it down to the Taw Vale garden railway and were photographed as a complete train.

So as we are running out of time the idea of one wagon is pushing things a bit!! Heres is a better solution an international freight train running on an international modular layout. Each country represented picks a typical wagon from their country and we have one member in each country responsable for that countries wagon ie. wagon cordinator. The wagon then gets mailed to as many members in that country along with a cirtificate for the members to sign. The cirtificate will be designed by one person and emailed to each countries wagon cordinator who will send it to the other members with the wagon. The idea is for the wagon to eventualy return to the wagon cordinator with the signed citificate for onward postage to the UK. By doing this each country will be represented along with every member. Now we also take the original idea and send ONE wagon to each countries wagon cordinator with a passport. When this wagon arrives it will be photographed against a local backdrop to prove that it has traveled so for instance I could take the wagon to Shildon as I live near by and take a pic of the wagon whilst it is sitting on one of deltics buffers. If I lived in London I could use a well known landmark instead. Once photographed it will have its passport signed and then shipped off to the next country. This one wagon will then have traveled round the globe uniting all the countries with photographic evidence and passport to back it up. In september at the show hopfully all the wagons will be assembled into an 'International' frieght train and run on the modules. To enable this I propose that all the wagons are fitted with hornby tension lock couplers. The 'international' train will be made up of each countries wagon and the global wagon. The complete train could then be used as first prize in a competition or even auctioned off to raise funds for our charity of choice.
Now by doing this every member of the YMR will be able to take part in the September show. :thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
BLG
Guest user
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=201]georgejacksongenius[/user] wrote:
  The idea of sending one wagon around all our members in time for the show,while being a great concept,must be impractical with so little time left.

A valid point - however there is nothing to say that the wagons journey necessarily would have to stop at the exhibition . In fact the exhibition could become part of the journey which may make it more interesting for the public   and the map could show where its been and where its going to go on a second or even third circumnavigation of the globe .

Richard. A sorely missed member who lost a brave battle in 2012.

Posted
Rating:
BLG
Guest user
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
"Logistically i think you would find it very hard to get the Single wagon around the world to all members"

Please see post #4.
I must learn to shout louder!

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
I'm with Max on this one.  I'll go with the original idea but don't like having the "Australian, Canadian, Devon, Scottish etc. etc." wagon - it's one sinlge YMR wagon that has circumnavigated the globe !!

If you want to sign the wagon - what about sending a certificate around with it so that it (the certificate) can be signed and dated for display at he exhibition.

One single wagon - hundreds of thousands of miles, photographed at every place it visits and the accompanying certificate signed and dated to record it's progress around the globe before ending up at the exhibition.

The route is mapped out with photos and strings showing where each was taken.

Peter, I am with you and Max. Focussing on one wagon around the globe is a much simpler solution to what is still a brilliant idea.

I accept the time constraints are a bit daunting but I dont think our respective postal services are that bad:shock:  If whoever is organising this produced a time schedule with some tolerances one could quickly see where some tough decisions had to be  made……….for example only one stop in North America (I think there is only 4 or 5 members?)……….maybe we draw lots.

I would withdraw gracefully to make the original concept work

A Happy New Year to one and all from a wet Vancouver  

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
BLG
Guest user
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I too like the single wagon idea. It's simple and the idea of it travelling the world is an attractive one.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Ok

I have done this i big text so no one can say they have not seen this.

The Concept of the wagon idea is brilliant but as with all things ideas will vary amongst individuals .

So can i ask all members at present please refrain from your personal suggestions as i forsee unsavoury exchanges before long.

If you would like to help organise this please drop Pm to Jeff and he can then arrange a little committee who can take all suggestions on board and decide the best way forward.

Your co operation in this would be appreciated.

Brian with his Mod hat on
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
If it helps get the "single wagon" concept under way quickly then there will be meetings of some of our Australian members next Saturday.  So far it appears that Max will call in on SR man and Neil Wood before coming on to see myself and Mickleaar later.

If we start with one wagon at Neil's it can be photographed there and at Jeff's, then here, then potentially at home with Max before passing maybe to Sol and onwards from there.  That doesn't exclude other Aussie members as some have already indicated their interest but it does get things moving at an ideal opportunity.

Anyone up for kicking it off that way?  The other thought which occurred to me is that perhaps one "wagon" should become one "coach" such as a well-used Mk1 which has windows blanked and entered departmental service.  But I'm not going to quibble on details.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Rick, pick a suitable wagon or coach and do it my friend. :thumbs:thumbs That will get things off the ground and at least buy us time to decide on the fine details as far as "where next" is concerned.

Postage time involved may dictate one wagon travelling "around the world" and another travelling "around the UK", but your idea is a very good way to start.

Go for it, good buddy. :thumbs:thumbs:thumbs:thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
. . . there's Ian, Graham, Craig and Connor here in SA that I can think of off the top of my head.  Then John, Mike (sorry if I miss anyone) in Brisbane, a couple in Sydney - Marty in Perth . . .

Posted
Rating:
As Max will be going toJeff's first I suppose we have to decide who supply's the wagon?  Shall I get one from Hearn's during the week or does someone have one that they want to volunteer.

I did have an idea about a commerative wagon for the event but Brian has said he doen't want any more ideas so I won't mention it.

cheers

Neil

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
. . . there's Ian, Graham, Craig and Connor here in SA that I can think of off the top of my head.  Then John, Mike (sorry if I miss anyone) in Brisbane, a couple in Sydney - Marty in Perth . . .

Stuart, B67, Trevor Ford ( XDford)  &  Boilermaker in Victoria

Nickid in Perth:mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Nickid in Perth

Now to get a pic of the wagon on that layout would be a real scoop :cool::lol:

Jeff Mr Rail - I'll organise locally this end with the others.  Jeff Mr SR man and Neil if you care to discuss with me by PM we can get things rolling.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=316]Gwiwer[/user] wrote:
Nickid in Perth

Now to get a pic of the wagon on that layout would be a real scoop :cool::lol:

Jeff Mr Rail - I'll organise locally this end with the others. Jeff Mr SR man and Neil if you care to discuss with me by PM we can get things rolling.
Will do.

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.